Clips December 11-12, 2002

ARTICLES

Security Lapses on Campuses Permit Theft From JSTOR Database
Tech Jobs Become State's Unwanted Big Export
Multinational war games will test analysis tool
INS to implement foreign student tracking system in January
Camera Is Graffiti's Unwelcome Audience
Defense Rests in Russia Copyright Trial
Sellers of Pirated DVDs Targeted
New Plan for Spammers: Charge 'Em [Spam]
Report suggests ID alternatives
Military network technology passing into civilian use
FBI struggles with data management
Burbano takes on homeland [CIO] job
DOD offering homeland expertise
Passenger ID system makes progress
Science.gov makes research more accessible to the public
Economics of Kid-Friendly Domain Questioned
White House: IT, privacy concerns loom for Homeland Security Dept.
Australian court's Web ruling 'provincial,' says cyberlaw expert
Spam to overtake real e-mail in 2003

**************************
The Chronicle of Higher Education
Security Lapses on Campuses Permit Theft From JSTOR Database
By DAN CARNEVALE
December 12, 2002

Someone exploiting a security weakness on college computer networks this fall tried to illegally download the entire collection of scholarly journals kept in the JSTOR database.

JSTOR, a nonprofit organization that creates digital copies of scholarly journals and sells access licenses to institutions, was able to put a stop to the attempted thievery after about 50,000 journal articles were downloaded. Kevin M. Guthrie, president of JSTOR, said this is less than 5 percent of the organization's electronic library and that JSTOR did not take a significant financial loss.

The culprits infiltrated the database by finding college proxy servers that were unintentionally left open for use by the public, Mr. Guthrie said. Proxy servers are programs used in computer networks to ensure that only authorized users have access to restricted materials such as online journals and databases. But the JSTOR incident shows that colleges that don't configure their proxy servers correctly can accidentally leave avenues for others to use the servers to gain access to the materials.

Mr. Guthrie said he was concerned that institutions may not be aware that online thieves can use open proxy servers to disguise themselves as a user at a college to break into computer networks and databases. More sensitive and confidential information could be stolen if institutions don't find a way to protect against this behavior, he said.

The JSTOR network was penetrated in September and October by a person or people in another country who gained access to proxy servers at American colleges, Mr. Guthrie said.

They then launched what Mr. Guthrie called a "systematic" attack on the JSTOR database to download its contents. JSTOR staff members detected the activity and took steps to prevent the downloads, but the culprits worked to find ways around the roadblocks, he said.

Mr. Guthrie said the attack stopped after JSTOR sought outside help, which he declined to describe. He also declined to identify the institutions and the countries that were involved.

Although the attack on JSTOR's database was halted, Mr. Guthrie said, he wants to let others know what happened so institutions and organizations can secure their servers from such attacks. "My motivation for this is really to create awareness of the problem," he said. "It's not motivated by what we perceive as a direct commercial threat. We can deal with that internally."

The proxy servers at colleges can be accidentally left open to outside access, he said. Officials at institutions need to keep a constant eye out to guard against unauthorized uses of college equipment, he said.

"Anybody on a campus can set up a Web server and can either accidentally or for some other reason open up some other proxies," Mr. Guthrie said. "People have figured this out. They understand this. So what they do is they go out and search for these open proxies."

Ann S. Okerson, associate university librarian for collection and technical services at Yale University, said the incident at JSTOR could be a symptom of a larger problem.

Ms. Okerson said she's concerned that the instances of attacks on proxy servers could grow and allow outside users to view confidential information, like scholarly work or medical records or even love letters. "It's things that you and I really hold dear and private and confidential," she said.
******************************
Los Angeles Times
Tech Jobs Become State's Unwanted Big Export
Hit hard in the global bust, California may see some employment move overseas for good.
By Evelyn Iritani and Marla Dickerson Times Staff Writers
Times Staff Writers

December 12 2002

From Silicon Valley to Boston's Route 128, technology companies are waiting for a rebound in business spending to pull them out of their slump. But when the Bay Area and other regional hotbeds emerge from the deep hole left by the technology crash, they'll find that the landscape looks a lot different. Many of the jobs lost will not be back.

The global tech bust has forced a dramatic restructuring of the industry as firms struggle to return to profitability. Companies have shed thousands of jobs in the United States and Europe while shifting production to lower-cost countries, mostly in Asia.

Like makers of apparel and toys before them, technology companies say their survival depends increasingly on performing all but the most sophisticated tasks offshore.

From its peak of 5.7 million jobs in early 2001, U.S. technology employment has plunged by about half a million. More than 100,000 of the job losses have come in California, according to figures from the American Electronics Assn., a Washington trade group. Most of these positions have been in high-tech manufacturing, in which the average wage tops $70,000 a year.

"A lot of those job losses are permanent," said Daniel Wilson, an economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. "The natural cycle of companies moving production offshore got accelerated."

Experts say tech companies that weather the shakeout will emerge leaner, meaner and more profitable for their pains. And few doubt Silicon Valley will remain a world leader in innovation.

Still, the transformation poses serious challenges for states such as California, which have looked to the technology sector to generate employment, exports and tax revenue.

"California is not a low-cost place to do business," said Walter Reichert, director of international relations and trade policy at Hewlett-Packard Co., which has shed 16,000 jobs as part of a global restructuring triggered by its merger with Compaq Computer Corp. "Like our colleagues at IBM and Sun, we tend to keep our engineering here. But for any kind of assembly work, we've got to look at other possibilities."

Although many believe the worst is over, the cuts still keep coming. In recent months, big names such as Hewlett-Packard, Advanced Micro Devices Inc., Sun Microsystems Inc., Applied Materials Inc. and Agere Systems Inc. have announced layoffs totaling more than 12,000 jobs here and abroad. In early August, IBM Corp. confirmed it had slashed 15,600 jobs from its workforce this year.

Plunging global demand for technology equipment, coupled with production shifts offshore, have wreaked havoc on U.S. exports. Shipments of computers and electronic products, which account for one-quarter of America's exports, dropped 16% in 2001.

California's exports have been walloped even harder. Technology is the state's No. 1 export, accounting for more than half of its sales overseas at the height of the boom. After reaching a record $61.4 billion in 2000, California's exports of high-tech goods plunged 18% in 2001 and are down 23% through the first three quarters of this year.

"California technology firms have to outsource to stay competitive -- that absolutely makes sense," said Ross DeVol, director of regional and demographic studies for the Santa Monica-based Milken Institute. "On the other hand, these production activities are increasingly taking place abroad. We're losing employment. We're losing income. We're losing the tax receipts."

Indeed, the meltdown in California's tech sector has huge implications for the state's economy. Although California's drop in overall employment has been milder than that of the nation as a whole, a disproportionate share of its declines has come in high-paid sectors such as information technology, telecommunications and computer services, leaving the state much worse off in terms of income than the rest of the country.

Lawmakers in Sacramento used a variety of gimmicks to cover a $24-billion deficit this year, only to find themselves faced with another $20-billion-plus chasm heading into the next budget cycle. That's partly the result of the state's heavy reliance on tax revenue from capital gains, stock options and bonuses. At its peak in 2000, revenue from these sources soared to $17.6 billion -- accounting for 25% of California's general fund.

But those revenues have fizzled with the bursting of the tech and stock market bubbles. State officials, who committed to billions in new spending when coffers were flush, found themselves staring at a yawning deficit almost overnight.

"It was a 100-year bonanza ... and we spent it," said Ted Gibson, former chief economist for the California Department of Finance, who is an economic advisor at Metropolitan West Securities in Sacramento. "Now it's reality-check time."

Gibson says the eye-popping gains in personal income and job growth that characterized the late 1990s in California are unlikely to be repeated anytime soon. Silicon Valley remains mired in what may be the worst downturn in its history.

The San Jose metropolitan area alone has lost more than 100,000 jobs since its pre- recession peak in December 2000, while unemployment has risen to a 19-year high of 7.9%. The Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group, an alliance of technology firms, projects that it will be at least five years before employment in Silicon Valley returns to its previous peak.

"Any of us who think we're going to have the kind of prosperity and instant wealth and job creation we saw in the late 1990s is really kidding themselves," said Rick White, chief executive of TechNet, a Palo Alto-based technology industry lobbying group. "There is still a lot of overcapacity and restructuring" ahead.

The turn of fortune has been brutal for workers such as Richard Jerry. The former technician at Applied Materials once earned nearly $30 an hour building test fixtures for the Santa Clara, Calif., semiconductor equipment maker. Laid off for more than a year, his savings and unemployment benefits exhausted, Jerry recently moved into a Bay Area homeless shelter. Still, the 43-year-old harbors dreams of returning to "the best job I ever had."

"All we need is another upturn" in business, he said.

Chances are, it won't be so simple. Experts say what began as a cyclical slump has forced permanent structural changes to the U.S. industry that won't be undone when business revives.

Companies such as Hewlett-Packard, Cisco Systems Inc. and Motorola Inc. for years have outsourced production to contract manufacturers such as Flextronics International Ltd. and Solectron Corp., which in turn are rapidly shifting their operations to lower-cost foreign facilities as profits have plunged.

Customers are being squeezed, "so we're being squeezed," said Jim Sacherman, the San Jose-based chief marketing officer for Flextronics, which has cut thousands of jobs and closed plants. The multinational company announced Friday that it would shutter a plant in Irvine that makes printed circuit boards.

"Even when things turn around," Sacherman added, "it's not like all of a sudden we're going to pick up all that and bring it back."

Others are following suit. After growing 50% to 60% a year during the boom times, Milpitas, Calif.-based Solectron has shed 35,000 jobs in the last two years, most of them in North America and Europe, while expanding production at its three facilities in China.

And the list goes on. Fiber- optic equipment maker JDS Uniphase Corp., with headquarters in San Jose and Ottawa, has beefed up its Chinese operations while sacking more than 20,000 workers in the U.S. and Canada. Santa Clara-based National Semiconductor Corp., which has shed 1,100 employees and contractors, most of them manufacturing employees in the U.S. and Scotland, just broke ground on a new chip plant in Suzhou, China, that will employ 500. Motorola Inc., which slashed 7,000 jobs this year, has aggressively shifted its chip production to contract manufacturers in Asia. The Schaumberg, Ill.-based company plans to invest $1.3 billion in research and development facilities in China during the next four years.

Some say the U.S. has no choice but to keep climbing the knowledge ladder, focusing on production of higher-value software and services and pouring billions of dollars into new arenas such as biomedicine, nanotechnology and the wireless Internet.

"Manufacturing is not just people with dirty hands in a grimy building making widgets," said Doug Henton, president of Silicon Valley-based Collaborative Economics. "It could be people at a computer manufac- turing software.... We're still making things. But what we make is different, and how we make it is different."

Yet others say California's high costs and inhospitable business climate have helped accelerate high-tech manufacturing's move away from the Golden State. Carl Guardino, president of the Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group, said too many state officials seem unable to grasp that much of the technology wealth created in California has come not just from design of computers and other high-tech products but from their production and export.

Cut too deep into the manufacturing base, and Silicon Valley could lose its ability to maintain its technological predominance, he warns.

"I feel like renting a horse and dressing up like Paul Revere," Guardino said. "Too many folks are taking for granted what is at stake here."

Still, the state faces huge challenges in retaining, much less expanding, its high-tech production. California's tax structure motivates sales-tax-hungry communities to favor strip malls and auto dealers over factories. Lofty electricity rates, workers' compensation costs and real estate prices have made the state's business costs among the highest in the nation. And looming budget deficits mean that businesses' fees and taxes are likely to go up in the near term, rather than down.

Although the recent job losses largely have been in lower-cost commodity goods such as semiconductors, cell phones and computer components, even higher-value products face stepped-up competition from places such as China and India, which have invested in scientific education and other infrastructure crucial for technology firms.

What's more, it's not just production jobs going abroad. A growing number of U.S. companies, including Dell Computer Corp., General Electric Co. and Citibank, have shifted call centers and other information technology service operations offshore to slash costs.

A recent report by Cambridge, Mass.-based Forrester Research projects that 3.3 million positions, in activities from credit card processing and back-office accounting to software development, computer programming and engineering, will migrate to countries such as India, Russia and China in the next 15 years.

If the United States wants to stay on the cutting edge, it must do a better job of educating its workforce, particularly in science, mathematics and physics, said William Archey, president and chief executive of the American Electronics Assn.

"We've got to do something that makes the idea of engineering and science far more attractive to young kids," he said. "I have jokingly said, instead of 'L.A. Law,' we need 'L.A. Geek.' "

Unless some difficult choices are made, experts warn, the U.S., and particularly states such as California, could be left on the sidelines of producing the next "new thing."

"We're not going to be able to stop production from leaving the state, but we've got to make some decisions about what we want to keep here," said DeVol of the Milken Institute.

"If we just throw our arms up and say, 'It's the inevitable sequence of events that this production goes to low-cost countries,' then that's what will happen."
*******************************
Government Computer News
Multinational war games will test analysis tool
By Vandana Sinha
GCN Staff

When the U.S. Joint Forces Command conducts a second multinational war games experiment in February, it will use a new software analysis tool that displays relationships between key facts buried in separate files.

In an event called Multinational Limited Objective Experiment 2, the Joint Forces Command will join Australian, British, Canadian and German defense officials in enacting a 2010 Pacific Rim scenario to establish whether they can easily and securely share information and, together, gauge an enemy's socioeconomic, political, military and technological potential.

The information-gathering process, known as an operational net assessment, will undergo its second international test from Feb. 10 to Feb. 28. Joint Forces Command led a multinational experiment in November 2001, designed to test foreign collaboration in military action.

In this second test, a command control cell in Suffolk, Va., will launch the invented pre-crisis scenarios in the Pacific.

The research product, ClearResearch, will tag key points or names from reams of data that each country will receive on an enemy nation. It will analyze those facts, finding relationships to other facts from several data sources, whether they are news stories, reports, Web sites or memos.

The software then displays a single view of the relationships, dividing the computer screen into separate chunks with lines or circles drawn around associated facts or names.

Developed by ClearForest Corp. of New York, the software uses Extensible Markup Language, whose universality allows different file and data formats to overlap easily, and runs on Microsoft Windows NT and 2000 operating systems. Joint command paid approximately $500,000 for the software.
******************************
Government Executive
December 11, 2002
INS to implement foreign student tracking system in January
By Kellie Lunney
klunney@xxxxxxxxxxx

An automated system for tracking foreign students in the United States will be in place by its Jan. 30 deadline, despite requests by educational institutions for more time, the Immigration and Naturalization Service said Wednesday.

Public and private schools that enroll foreign students must enter information about new nonimmigrant students who plan to study at their institutions into the INS' Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) by Jan. 30. Schools cannot enroll new foreign students for study in the United States until they comply with SEVIS rules, INS spokesman Chris Bentley said Wednesday.

Schools have until Aug. 1, 2003 to enter information about current nonimmigrant foreign students attending their institutions, according to the final rule on SEVIS published in the Federal Register Wednesday.

SEVIS is designed to replace the paper-based system the agency now uses to track foreign students in the United States, eliminating delays in notification by informing all parties simultaneously once an INS decision on a visa application is completed. Although the State Department is responsible for issuing student visas to foreign students who want to study in the United States, the INS must monitor each student's stay in the country and determine which schools are eligible to accept foreign students.

Under the system, when a foreign student applies to enroll at a school, the institution enters information about the student into the electronic system. Designated INS officials, school officials, certain State Department employees and law enforcement authorities will have access to SEVIS to monitor foreign students' attendance records and other activities while they are enrolled.

In public comments about SEVIS, school officials and education associations asked the INS to extend the initial compliance date, saying they didn't have enough time, money or staff to assess system changes or purchase software necessary to implement SEVIS. Schools also said they would not be able to assess all the guidance for SEVIS before Jan. 30, since the State Department has yet to publish its corresponding guidelines on SEVIS.

But the INS defended its decision to stand by the January deadline. "It was not a date chosen at random, but was a date chosen as the most reasonable balance between national security concerns and the education community's ability to comply," the final rule in the Federal Register said. "The sooner that all schools and students are in the SEVIS database, the sooner the [INS] will have the ability to more fully monitor them."

The INS emphasized that schools need only to enter data on new foreign students by Jan. 30 and can use regular Internet access to link to SEVIS. More sophisticated software for SEVIS was introduced recently, but many schools have not yet had an opportunity to test it.

The INS also said it has been working closely with the State Department on SEVIS guidelines, so schools need not worry about significant discrepancies between the agencies' guidance. "The fact that two separate rules are being promulgated setting out SEVIS requirements is a matter of the federal rulemaking process, and does not indicate that the two agencies are not working together," the rule said.

At a congressional hearing in September, Justice Department Inspector General Glenn Fine expressed doubt about the INS' ability to get SEVIS in place by Jan. 30.

"Unless the INS devotes sufficient resources and effort to implement and use SEVIS effectively, many of its current problems in tracking and monitoring foreign students who come to the United States to attend school would continue to exist," Fine said before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security and Claims.
*******************************
New York Times
December 12, 2002
Camera Is Graffiti's Unwelcome Audience
By BONNIE ROTHMAN MORRIS
WHAT flashes and shouts when it sees something moving, helping to stop crime? No, it is not some kind of high-tech police robot, but a much simpler invention: a modified film camera that is being used in Milwaukee, Los Angeles and other cities to deter graffiti vandalism.

The camera is a Vivitar 35-millimeter flash model that has been equipped with a motion detector and a digital voice recorder-player and housed in a rugged steel and clear plastic case. The system, which works on five C batteries, is mounted on a tree or pole overlooking an area where graffiti vandals might be tempted to do their work.

If the system detects motion in the area, it fires the camera and flash and issues "a pretty darn loud" warning, said Ken Anderson, president of Q-Star Technology, in Chatsworth, Calif., which makes the system. The warning, which can be recorded by the owner of the system, is usually something like: "Stop! This is a restricted area. We have just taken your photograph,'' and can be recorded and played back in any two languages.

Mr. Anderson, a former technology newsletter publisher who developed the camera system as a hobby, said it was meant as an alternative for governments and companies that spend a lot of money on removing graffiti.

Milwaukee, for example, which has more than 200 bridges that are targets of graffiti vandals, spent about a million dollars two years ago on removal. The money paid for crews who sandblasted graffiti or otherwise removed it from bridges and repainted them, said Paul Novotny, the bridge maintenance manager for the city.

Now the city uses about 20 of the modified cameras in eight locations to deter vandals. The cameras cost $3,000 each and are frequently moved from location to location, to keep "taggers," as the vandals are called, guessing.

"Every place we put them in at least pushes the kids away from the area that the camera is focused on,'' Mr. Novotny said. "They don't go under that bridge anymore." The film can be changed as needed - the system comes with a kind of remote control for determining, from the ground, how many exposures remain. But even if all the exposures are used up, the system will keep firing the camera and flash and activating the audio player as a deterrent.

The California Water Service Company's Westlake District recently installed a camera at a reservoir in Ventura County that is a favorite gathering place for teenagers, who would hang out at night with blankets, pizzas and beer on top of the concrete holding tank and paint to their hearts' content. No more.

"Since the camera has gone in, we haven't had a problem,'' said Elaine Marchessault, district manager at the water company. "Not one bottle, not one can, not one piece of trash and no graffiti."

So far, no one has been caught with spray can in hand, arrested and convicted. And no one has complained about being spied upon. Graffiti vandals, though, are finding ways to protest. Last month, in Lynwood, Calif., a city of 60,000 people and 26 anti-graffiti cameras, a tagger climbed to the top of a pole where a camera was mounted and spray-painted it, said Rudolph Brown, of the public works department in Lynwood. The camera did not catch the act: its batteries were dead.
******************************
Associated Press
Defense Rests in Russia Copyright Trial
By BOB PORTERFIELD, Associated Press Writer
December 11, 2002

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - An oversight by the U.S. company that sells software products for a Russian corporation charged with violating the controversial 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act (news - web sites) may have undermined one of the prosecution's key allegations.

Testifying as the final witness before the defense rested its case in federal court Tuesday was Ryan Dewell, director of technical services for Register Now!, an Issaquah, Wash., re-seller for Moscow-based Elcomsoft Co. Ltd.

Dewell told a jury that general sales of a product allowing users to circumvent restrictions on Adobe Systems' eBook Reader were stopped almost immediately after the San Jose company complained to Elcomsoft.

However, because Elcomsoft's product, the Advanced eBook Processor Program, had a different product number for a price-discounted version to longtime Elcomsoft customers, the product was still offered until Elcomsoft notified Register Now! one version was still available.

Dewell said Elcomsoft President Alex Katalov requested that Register Now! remove the eBook software from sale within a five-day period demanded by Adobe, but the discounted version was overlooked and continued to be listed for several more days. During that period, at least one copy was purchased by Los Alamos National Laboratory, a long-time Elcomsoft customer.

"It was an oversight on our part," Dewell testified during questioning by defense attorney Joe Burton. "Katalov brought the second version to our attention."

Elcomsoft and Katalov, its president, are charged with willfully conspiring to sell software that is designed to circumvent technology protecting the rights of a copyright owner. Elcomsoft's product, marketed for just a few days in the summer of 2001, permitted users to remove publisher-imposed restrictions on their electronic books, allowing copying, printing and distribution.

Part of the government's case centers on whether Elcomsoft continued to sell its product after Adobe informed the company that it believed Elcomsoft was violating the DMCA and gave Elcomsoft five days to stop selling the software. Evidence introduced by the defense supported Elcomsoft's claim that it complied with Adobe's demand within the time limit established.

Part of that evidence two e-mails between Elcomsoft and Register Now! in which Katalov instructed the American re-seller to stop selling the Russian software appeared to have caught prosecutor Scott H. Frewing off guard. He asked Dewell why neither of the e-mails had been turned over when FBI (news - web sites) agents subpoenaed all Register Now! documents related to Elcomsoft.

For a second time, Dewell said it was "an oversight." ****************************** Los Angeles Times Sellers of Pirated DVDs Targeted By Jon Healey December 11 2002

The Motion Picture Assn. of America on Tuesday announced a crackdown on online movie bootleggers, with lawsuits filed against nine ventures that allegedly sold pirated titles through online auctioneer EBay Inc.

Meanwhile, the recording industry has shut down the Internet's most comprehensive source of CD covers, which enabled consumers and bootleggers to obtain free, digital copies of CD artwork and liner notes.

The actions reflect the growing reach and intensity of the movie and music industries' fight against online piracy.

The MPAA's lawsuits are its first against alleged infringers on EBay, and the Recording Industry Assn. of America's success on the CD artwork issue came after several months of trying.

Online auction houses, and particularly San Jose-based EBay, have been an increasingly popular distribution point for DVD pirates. The MPAA has asked auction sites more than 40,000 times in the last two years to stop the sale of DVDs that appear to have been pirated, with the number of requests doubling from 2001 to 2002.

Tuesday, the MPAA announced that it was seeking injunctions to stop piracy by DVD and videotape sellers in California and seven other states.

EBay records indicate that several of the sellers had drawn complaints for delivering pirated material, while others offered discs of major motion pictures that could be played on any region's DVD players -- a feature not found on legitimate DVDs.

The MPAA also cautioned online movie buyers to be on the lookout for pirated discs. In particular, the trade group said, discs for movies that are still in theaters probably have been pirated, as well as discs with incomplete or shoddy packaging.

One of the sellers targeted by the MPAA, Todd Aspinwall of Windsor Locks, Conn., said he had bought all his discs from other EBay sellers and had no idea there was anything wrong with them.

"If they're going to go after me, they should go after the guys I get [the DVDs] from," Aspinwall said.

The RIAA's target was CDCovers.cc, an Israeli-based site that has offered artwork for CDs, DVDs and video games as well as mobile-phone ring tones.

Matt Oppenheim, the RIAA's senior vice president of business and legal affairs, said the association and its overseas counterpart, the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, have knocked the site offline in several countries, only to see it relocate and reopen.

Late last month, however, CDCovers.cc raised the white flag.

"It's been a great adventure but we cannot afford this anymore," a spokesman for CDCovers.cc said in a note on the site.
*********************************
Wired News
New Plan for Spammers: Charge 'Em

Imagine if you could charge people for wasting your time. An IBM researcher has hatched a plan to make it possible.

In "Selling interrupt rights: A way to control unwanted e-mail and telephone calls," a paper (PDF) published last week in IBM's Systems Journal, Scott Fahlman argues that spammers should be charged each time they trespass your inbox.

And it's not just the rascals pushing low mortgage rates and anatomic enhancements by e-mail, said Fahlman, who spent 20 years as a researcher in Carnegie Mellon's computer science department and is credited with using the first e-mail emoticon -- the smiley -- in 1982. Fahlman says telemarketers, too, should have to pay every time they interrupt dinner.

His plan calls for new phones and e-mail software that would require fees to accept incoming messages. The fee would be waived for welcome e-mail and calls, but collected for unsolicited spam and intrusive telemarketing calls.

"This payment compensates me for suffering an unwanted interruption and -- more importantly -- it has cost you something to bother me," wrote Fahlman.

Friends, family and frequent known callers could be given "interrupt tokens" that would allow them to bypass the system.

Fahlman says his program would all but eliminate spam and telemarketing, and that any messages that slipped through would be now seen as "a windfall rather than a nuisance."

While the thought is attractive, critics say it's a long shot to expect anyone to buy a new phone or install a new e-mail client.

Especially when they don't yet exist.

"There's a chicken-and-egg problem for anything that involves a new protocol," says Paul Graham, a computer language designer and spam aficionado. "It's inconvenient until everyone's using it, but no one uses it until it's convenient."

Fahlman disagrees.

"This is not one of these things that nobody can use unless everybody has it," he says. "If only 1 percent (of the population) decided they wanted to use it, that would be enough to sustain the market."

But John Mozena, co-founder of antispam group Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail, called it "wouldn't-it-be-nice technology."

Although Mozena notes that Fahlman's proposal is technically "fairly elegant," Mozena believes there are too many roadblocks for the widespread adoption of interrupt rights.

Besides, Mozena said, "Spam is not a technical problem. Spam is a social problem."

Mozena's group favors legislative solutions for ending spam.

Fahlman acknowledges there are significant hurdles to setting his plan in motion.

He concedes that someone will need to manage the fee structure and produce compatible phone sets and e-mail software, but says it offers a business opportunity.

He hopes the phone companies will help to adopt the new technology.

SBC did not return phone calls, and AT&T refused to comment for this article.

Fahlman is not the first to suggest that sending e-mail should come at a price. IronPort, an Internet messaging company, certifies a sender's e-mail as legitimate or not in exchange for a monetary bond.

When e-mail recipients report unsolicited e-mail, IronPort debits the sender's bond. But the money goes to antispam organizations, not spam recipients.

IronPort CTO Scott Banister says his system is "making people accountable for the e-mail that they send, and making that accountability financial."

IronPort's system is designed to work in concert with spam filters, and doesn't require any new technology on the part of e-mail recipients.

Banister said Fahlman's proposal, requiring a payment for every e-mail message sent or phone call made, would be "a pretty radical step for most people to take."

Fahlman said his primary goal is to "push the idea out there." It may prove difficult for it to go any farther in a market chock full of antispam solutions, such as filters and so-called "whitelists."

Telemarketing has also begun to take some punches, with 24 states having adopted some form of a "do not call" list.

The FTC hopes to extend the do not call program nationwide.

Jupiter analyst Jared Blank plays down the impact of spam. "People complain about spam," he said, "but people don't do anything about it. It takes them about 15 seconds to delete the e-mails."

That stance jibes with a report released by the Pew Internet and American Life Project. The study found that only 11 percent of Americans who use e-mail at work said they felt overwhelmed by all the e-mail, and that 60 percent receive 10 or fewer messages on an average day.

Still, in an era where attention has become a commodity and marketers become ever more bold about reaching consumers, attention protection could make a good business.

As Fahlman says of his plan: "Once the enabling conditions are in place, it gives people control over who can claim their attention. It's up to them how much it costs to bother them."

If Fahlman's plan gets off the ground, it could pay to pay attention.
******************************
Federal Computer Week
Report suggests ID alternatives
BY Dibya Sarkar
Dec. 10, 2002

A national identification system is one approach to strengthening identity security, but a white paper published by a coalition of government organizations also proposes a "confederated" system in which Americans could use multiple identifiers for clusters of agencies and/or businesses.

This approach would enable individuals to sign on to an account once and have access to different accounts among several entities they commonly transact with, according to the National Electronic Commerce Coordinating Council's (NECCC) white paper.

Agencies and companies would have to develop policies, procedures and an interoperable technical framework to support such an arrangement. The advantage to this system over a national ID system is that no single identifier would follow an individual everywhere. Another advantage is that there is no single point of failure like that in a national ID system, in which there would be centralized control.

"An organized, confederated system would not necessarily have as its goal to establish a single business model across all 50 states," according to the white paper. "Rather, it could allow states to maintain their own processes, yet establish criteria to provide consistent levels of trust in the various credentialing systems that states have established. Determining exactly what metrics would result in such a trust, however, would be a considerable undertaking, but one worth investigating."

NECCC, a consortium that promotes e-government, released the identity management white paper during its sixth annual conference in New York City Dec. 4-6. It did not recommend one approach over the other, but said they should be explored further.

Because of national security and identity fraud concerns, governments are grappling with how best to issue valid and tamper-proof IDs and authenticate identities while preserving privacy and personal liberties.

A single national system could involve storing personal information such as fingerprints of every citizen in a large database and issuing ID cards that would be used across the public and private sector.

Privacy experts contend that such a database smacks of Big Brother.

A national system has some precedence around the world, but with uneven results, said Daniel Greenwood, who directs the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's e-commerce architecture program and helped lead and draft the white paper for NECCC.

The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators has been leading an effort to strengthen state driver's licenses, which are considered the de facto national ID card. Although that group doesn't advocate a national system, it wants states to adopt minimum security standards such as personal data or biometric identifiers embedded in the cards as a way to prevent identity theft and fraud.

A coalition of companies known as the Liberty Alliance Project is developing the framework for a confederated approach, including a network identity and authentication sharing mechanism. The project would entail developing business agreements among different organizations so they can mutually recognize authentication. Such a system would help boost confidence along with e-commerce, representatives said.

The group has about 45 dues-paying sponsors and another 90 affiliate and associate members. The group is looking to collaborate with governments and other public-sector agencies that would not be charged membership fees.
***************************
USA Today
Military network technology passing into civilian use

NEW YORK (AP) When bullets are flying, the last thing a soldier wants to hear is "the network is down." So the Pentagon, about a decade ago, set out to design a wireless communications network that could survive a war.

One design that has emerged, in portable military communications gear used in Afghanistan and now in the Iraqi theater, is called "mobile ad-hoc" or mesh networking. It now appears poised to also link wireless gadgets in the civilian world.

Military planners value mesh networking because it's like their best troops: smart, flexible and quick. That's because users of the network are also transmitters. They relay its digital signal voice, text, maps or imagery to others.

In a mesh network there are no fixed "points of failure" like base stations and antennas that can be disabled by a bomb. Mesh networks' self-healing properties adjust themselves when users join, leave or move.

"The military really likes it," said Rick Rotondo, vice president of marketing at MeshNetworks, a start-up based in Maitland, Fla. "They parachute 50 guys into Afghanistan and they turn their radios on and they've got an instant network.'"

In the civilian world, the technology could soon link fleets of buses or cars, or update traffic signals and messages on "smart" signs.

The Pentagon has been bent on improving battlefield communications since embarrassing wartime revelations in Grenada in 1983 when soldiers used a pay phone to call for air support and 1991 Operation Desert Storm, when troops barreling into Kuwait outran their communications networks.

Mesh networking capabilities have emerged in the military's latest battlefield radio: Raytheon's Enhanced Position Location Reporting System.

U.S. Army units training in Kuwait are also using a mobile command and control computer known as the FBCB2, which is capable of operating on mesh networks but currently uses satellites, said Timothy Rider, spokesman for the Army Communications-Electronics Command.

The command is also overseeing ITT Industries' development of the Soldier Level Integrated Communications Environment (SLICE), a mobile computer with a headset display and microphone for foot soldiers.

SLICE is supposed to create mesh networks that handle voice communications while mapping whereabouts of soldiers and their companions.

The SLICE was the size of a backpack when the Army tested it in October. By the time it's released in 2005 or so, it will shrink to the size of a Palm organizer, said John Kirkwood, marketing manager for ITT's defense group.

"The military doesn't like to haul towers around with them," Kirkwood said. "They want a network that's as convenient as a cell telephone network but has none of the limitations, like the ability to eavesdrop and identify where the broadcast originates."

In civilian life, the military's mesh networks are being reconfigured.

One of the earliest expected uses will come in the automotive telematics industry, where an onboard computer might download software updates or MP3 music for a car radio. Analysts say those days are still years away.

"You'd only need a few access points in a whole city," said Allen Nogee, a wireless analyst with In-Stat/MDR. "The cars could bounce the signal from one to the next."

MeshNetworks' Rotondo said a Japanese automaker he declined to say which one bought the company's technology to create a network for onboard computers.

The company set up its own experimental mesh network in Maitland, using the gear it sells: PC cards, routers and access points that, when guided by the company's software, act as repeater-routers for mobile computers and handhelds.

The Army demonstrated MeshNetworks' communicators for police, fire and emergency responders in early December at its Signal Center at Fort Gordon, Ga.

The company has also sold its systems to the Viasys, which develops "intelligent transportation networks" of linked traffic signals, signs, cameras and sensors.

Rotondo says the company's mobile configuration runs on a military wireless standard known as quad-division multiple access that is fast enough to stream audio or video to a moving airplane.

Other companies are developing similar products, including Intel, Nokia, Mitsubishi and Deutsche Telekom, the latter two in a joint venture called Moteran Networks that seeks to create a mesh network among cars in Germany.

Mesh networking has its downsides.

First, with devices relaying messages for other users, "you're using someone else's battery life" to send your data packets, Nogee said. He doubted most folks would willingly donate battery life to strangers.

Second, there are eavesdropping issues. Data could be intercepted and unscrambled as they pass through a device, Nogee said. Encryption technology ought to handle the challenge, he predicted.

And mesh networks aren't valuable until they spread widely. For that to happen, users have to join before the network matures.

"No one's going to use it unless everyone has it," Nogee said. "But it doesn't work until everyone has it."
********************************
Federal Computer Week
FBI struggles with data management
Sniper investigation underscored tech, workforce problems
BY William Matthews
Dec. 2, 2002

With a sniper killing people at random in the Washington, D.C., area in October and police pleading with the public for information, the FBI set up a phone center to receive tips and rolled out its computerized Rapid Start Information Management System to help sort them.

It sounds like an efficient, technology-driven process until William Hooton described it in more detail in a Nov. 14 address to the Association for Information and Image Management.

Staff working the phones, including trainees from the FBI's academy in Quantico, Va., scribbled notes of their phone conversations on paper forms. Then, once every hour the forms were dumped in a box and delivered to the FBI's records management division. There, they were fed into scanners to be digitized, then added to the FBI's Rapid Start database, explained Hooton, assistant director of the FBI's records management division.

"Sounds like it's still a pretty manual process," said a technology vendor who listened as Hooton described the procedure. Scanning handwritten notes would yield a digital image, but not computer-searchable data, he said.

The FBI's use of records management technology during the sniper investigation illustrates the progress the bureau has made and how far it still has to go to bring its records management capabilities up to today's standards.

In March, Justice Department Inspector General Glenn Fine chastised the FBI and urged disciplinary action against several agents for mishandling records in the Oklahoma City bombing case. The discovery of thousands of misplaced records forced a month-long delay in the execution of Timothy McVeigh in 2001.

Fine blamed antiquated computer systems, but he blamed human error more for the FBI field offices' failure to turn investigation records over when they were ordered to do so.

Just weeks after Fine slammed the FBI, the bureau was rocked by another records fiasco the "Phoenix memo." The FBI acknowledged that a memo an agent in Phoenix wrote questioning the number of Middle Eastern students attending U.S. flight schools never made it through the FBI's bureaucracy to senior officials in Washington, D.C.

The memo was written in July 2001, two months before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks carried out by Middle Eastern men, some of whom had attended flight schools in the United States.

Even before the Phoenix memo became public, FBI officials conceded that they had a serious problem managing records. Their answer was to hire Hooton, an electronic records expert with experience at the Internal Revenue Service, the National Archives and in private industry. They also created a 1,000-person records management division.

Today, the division runs "10 production lines of scanners" and aims to convert 750,000 paper documents a day into digital records, Hooton said.

Once scanned, the electronic documents can be converted to electronic text by optical character recognition software, then stored in a database where they can be searched, mined and eventually made available to FBI field offices worldwide.

But converting such huge amounts of data to a more manageable electronic form is only one step toward solving the FBI's records problems, Hooton said.

After more than 90 years of collecting paper records, "we don't know what we have and what we don't have. We need to inventory our holdings," he said.

Other FBI managers have estimated that the agency has more than 1 billion records.

The process of digitizing, organizing and managing the FBI's records will never be complete, Hooton said, because there always will be a steady flow of new records.

Meanwhile, the FBI must tackle other thorny records issues, such as what constitutes an e-mail record, Hooton said. "No one has the answer now."

Similarly elusive is the answer to what constitutes a Web page record. And officials with the records management division need help deciding whether to destroy paper records once electronic copies have been made, he said.

Before the FBI finishes installing a modern computer infrastructure and records can be accessed by agents around the world, Hooton said he must tackle records security issues.

He said he favors maintaining centralized control over FBI records even if the records are physically housed in different locations.

"What the FBI is doing is way ahead of a lot of other federal agencies," said Jack Frost, a vice president at the electronic records management company TrueArc. Like the FBI, many agencies own huge archives of paper records, but few have the budgets or manpower to begin sorting and digitizing them.

Most federal agencies also are struggling with questions such as which electronic documents constitute official records, he said.

Once questions like that are answered, technology can help bring records under control, Frost said. Autocategorization software, for example, can sort records from other electronic documents and send them to databases for long-term preservation.

"Government is pretty much at [the] beginning stages of electronic records management," said another e-records specialist who heard Hooton's address but asked not to be identified. "The realization [is] only gradually dawning in many places that they need to do something about electronic records."

***

Taking inventory

William Hooton, assistant director of the FBI's records management division, said the agency doesn't know what records it has and doesn't have. He said he hopes to sort them into "three piles":

* One that is trash and should be destroyed. Hooton figures about half of the records fall into this pile.

* A pile that is "popular records," which should be converted to electronic form and retained because they have been retrieved at least once in the past five to 10 years.

* A pile of "unpopular records" that have not been used but must be kept. Those should only be made digital if they are requested, he said.
********************************
Federal Computer Week
Burbano takes on homeland job
BY Colleen O'Hara
Dec. 11, 2002

Fernando Burbano, former chief information officer at the State Department, has taken on a new role within the department as a senior adviser on homeland security.

Last week Burbano became a senior adviser for homeland security in the deputy secretary's homeland security office within the State Department. It is a new office Burbano said, created to work on and coordinate homeland security issues within the department and to serve as a liaison with new Homeland Security Department.

Burbano said he is working with ambassador Ted McNamara on this effort.

No replacement for Burbano has been named, but in the meantime Bruce Morrison, deputy CIO for operations, is acting CIO.

Burbano said his decision to change jobs was timely. "I've been very interested and active in homeland security within State as well as within federal agencies over the past year," he said. "I decided I might as well make it full time."

Burbano has been CIO at State for more than four years. He was instrumental in developing State's overseas network that would enable embassies to check other government agencies' databases.

The project, still in its infancy, is known as the Overseas Presence Interagency Collaboration/ Knowledge Management System. It would take advantage of existing information scattered in various databases but not tied together in a single network.

The urgency of creating this kind of database sharing was driven home in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, when officials discovered that some of the terrorists had obtained visas to enter the United States even though they were on law enforcement watch lists.

Earlier this year, Burbano testified at a congressional hearing and told lawmakers that spending money on technology is not the answer to tightening U.S. borders." Over the next two years, State will spend more than half a billion dollars procuring new information technology," Burbano said. "We must realize that procurement alone is not the answer. We must meet our business needs using existing technology as well as acquiring new."
******************************
Federal Computer Week
DOD offering homeland expertise
BY Dan Caterinicchia
Dec. 11, 2002

It is not the Defense Department's job to push technological solutions on local emergency workers or the 22 federal agencies that make up the Homeland Security Department, but DOD certainly can use its experiences in information sharing, collaboration and networking to serve as models for the new department, according to a panel of military experts.

Army Lt. Gen. Joseph Kellogg Jr., director of command, control, communications and computer systems for the Joint Staff, said DOD can serve as a reference in tying together disparate systems based on its decades of work connecting overseas combat commands that include representatives from all military services.

DOD is attempting a similar feat with Northern Command, which is responsible for ensuring homeland defense capabilities and supporting civilian authorities when directed by the president or secretary of Defense. The only difference now is that instead of bringing together the various military services, the focus is on connecting Defense systems and staff with the federal, state and local government agencies that also have homeland security missions, Kellogg said.

"The best way to do it is [with information technology]," he said, but getting it done is not a technological issue, "it's organizational and cultural."

"We need to sort out everyone's roles. The most important part of this is local participants," Kellogg said during a Dec. 10 panel discussion at the E-Gov Homeland Security conference, sponsored by FCW Media Group, in Washington, D.C.

Leading that effort is the Homeland Security Department, which is attempting to create a connected culture and identify technologies, such as Extensible Markup Language, that can tie systems together, he said. XML facilitates information exchange among applications and systems because it enables agencies to tag data and documents.

Ultimately, the new department's systems must include built-in security, redundancy, interoperability and be based on open standards, Kellogg said.

"I can't imagine using one system," he said. "We need to design for growth and upgrades... and start as simple as possible. Ninety percent of an organization will never change...but the 10 percent you can change is how you integrate information...and IT is the key to tying that all together."

When the audience asked if that meant making DOD systems like the Secret Internet Protocol Router Network available to the Homeland Security Department, Kellogg said that was not the answer.

"It's too hard," he said. "We still have governors without security clearances. We need to use [commercial off-the-shelf products (COTS)] and work our way up." He said that means starting at the unclassified level because that's where all the players can most easily share information.

Peter Verga, special assistant to the secretary of Defense for homeland security, agreed and said DOD could not afford to duplicate its systems to cover the entire nation, but that the department can provide support. He noted that DOD officials are working with Steve Cooper, chief information officer for the Office of Homeland Security, on the new department's architecture initiative.

Kellogg said his main concern is that the agencies will end up using incompatible technologies the same problem they are trying to overcome. But he added that recent conversations with Lee Holcomb, director of infostructure for the Office of Homeland Security, have led them to a "common consensus" on using COTS products and open architectures, and attempting to replicate best business practices.

Jack Pellicci, group vice president for business development at Oracle Corp., said the Homeland Security Department and DOD must "think big, start small, scale fast and deliver capabilities." The retired Army brigadier general added that speed is essential and if a problem can't be solved in two Internet years six months then another solution should be found.
*****************************
Federal Computer Week
Passenger ID system makes progress
BY Megan Lisagor
Dec. 11, 2002

The Transportation Security Administration has awarded a contract for the beginning stages of a system that will perform background checks and risk assessments on airline travelers, according to the agency's top official.

The tool, a substantially advanced version of the Computer Assisted Passenger Prescreening System (CAPPS) now in use, is being designed to cull multiple government and commercial databases for information that could indicate a potential threat.

"CAPPS I simply is a rules-based system with inadequate identification," James Loy, undersecretary of Transportation for security, said Dec. 9 at the E-Gov Homeland Security 2002 conference in Washington, D.C. The upgraded system will provide sufficient identification and a "very, very real merged database of people we know are the wrong guys."

CAPPS II has raised concerns about privacy and profiling, a technique Loy said he supports.

"Profiling with a lowercase "p" is not as distasteful [but] simply a step in the well-being of the citizenry," he said, distinguishing between racial profiling and the type he envisions TSA implementing.

Profiling, however, is only one part of a larger security scheme. Senior screeners, for example, must also be trained as better observers, he said.

TSA has already met 36 of 37 milestones set under the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, the legislation that created the agency a little more than a year ago. That includes deploying more than 45,000 federal screeners at 429 commercial airports. The final deadline is to screen all baggage for explosives by Dec. 31.

Operating under a continuing resolution, in effect until Jan. 11, 2003, has made the agency's job harder, according to Loy. "The ongoing [continuing resolution] has been very, very difficult," he said. "It has precluded us growing out."
****************************
Government Executive
Science.gov makes research more accessible to the public
By Amelia Gruber
agruber@xxxxxxxxxxx

A new federal Web site aims to make scientific information gathered by different agencies more accessible to the public.

The site, www.science.gov, is an offshoot of Firstgov.gov, and is especially useful because it houses information under one roof from the multiple agencies that perform scientific research, said Eleanor Frierson, deputy director of the National Agricultural Library and co-chair of the science.gov Alliance, the interagency group that created the site.

"Science.gov provides the unique ability to search across the content within databases as well as across Web sites," Frierson said. "It shows that federal agencies can work together to pull off something that none of them could do individually."

The site, which is geared toward a wide audience that ranges from academics to private business owners, offers a compilation of information from 10 government agencies and 14 scientific and technical organizations.

Users can search for technical reports, journal citations, databases, fact sheets and links to other federal Web sites by clicking on one of 12 subject areas such as "agriculture and food" or "health and medicine." Or they can complete a general search across all subject areas. Access to the site is free and does not require registration.

According to Frierson, the site has been in the works since spring 2000. She said she wanted to create a site where the public could access information without having to know which agency had control over the information.

For instance, the site could be used to find information on topics like pest control, diseases like anthrax poisoning and even treatments for dogs with cancer. In addition, users can browse for general ideas, such as tips for educators on creative science lessons and labs.

Frierson said she has been pleased at how agencies received her idea and worked together to make it happen. A year after she proposed the project, a pilot site was up and running. It required work from technical experts, but also needed a lot of intellectual work to categorize and catalog information, as well as staff to make sure that the site provides links to quality information, she added.

The site, which was officially launched on Dec. 5, has been well-received by users, too, she said. From Dec. 1 to Dec. 9, science.gov received more than 6,500 search requests, according to Frierson. Search requests have come in from overseas, as well as from the International Atomic Energy Agency, some dot.com companies and academic institutions.

"Science.gov aims to bring the substantial resources of the federal science and technology enterprise together in one place," said John Marburger, director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, in a statement. "The site is a great example of e-government in action."

The Agriculture, Commerce, Defense, Education, Energy, Health and Human Services and Interior departments, as well as the Environmental Protection Agency, NASA and the National Science Foundation, will all offer information on the site.

Frierson said she will continue to monitor the site to see what improvements need to be made, but funding is a continual challenge. The project received two of seven Firstgov.gov grants, giving Frierson and her co-directors about $175,000 to work with. But she said that more money will be needed to add features and keep monitoring the content to ensure that it is up-to-date and of the highest quality.
******************************
Washington Post
Economics of Kid-Friendly Domain Questioned
By David McGuire
washingtonpost.com Staff Writer
Thursday, December 12, 2002; 7:27 AM

Now that Congress has zoned off an Internet neighborhood for children, online real estate agents are questioning whether they can attract enough tenants to make it a worthwhile place for parents to send their kids.

Authors of the Dot-Kids Implementation and Efficiency Act, which President Bush signed into law last week, envisioned the new "kids.us" domain as a sanctuary where children could explore the Internet without being exposed to its dangers.

The law is designed to protect children -- 13 years or younger -- from pornography, profanity and other content that it defines as inappropriate by not allowing Web sites that end in kids.us (www.washingtonpost.kids.us, for example) to link to locations outside of the domain.

Some critics of the dot-kids concept say it creates a ready-made stalking ground for sexual predators, but supporters of the law say it contains strong provisions to prevent criminals from stalking the users of kids.us addresses.

The question remains, however, whether or not there is an economic case for the new domain.

"If it is ubiquitous it can actually be effective; if it's not, it's nothing," said Elliot Noss, president of Canadian address seller Tucows Inc.

Noss went on to charge that kids.us has "absolutely zero" probability of achieving that ubiquity and is nothing more than "an exercise in making politicians who don't understand the medium feel good."

Noss said Tucows, which is one of the world's largest Internet address retailers -- or "registrars" -- would sell kids.us addresses if customers request them, but predicted that they would not become a major moneymaker.

Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill.), who authored the kids.us legislation, said in an interview that he would use his position on the House Energy and Commerce Committee to encourage companies to register addresses in the domain, which he likened to the "children's section of the library."

"We have to appeal to the corporate world here," Shimkus said. "There is a definition of financial success, but there is also a definition of good government and corporate citizenship."

Congressional cajoling aside, the domain faces an uphill climb to acceptance, according to Mason Cole, vice president of SnapNames, an Internet addressing industry watcher.

"If you're going to launch a new pool of available names, first of all, you have quite a bit of competition already in the market," Cole said, referring to dot-com, dot-net, dot-org and newer domains like dot-biz and dot-info. "If you're going to come along and try to carve out a niche in that pool somewhere, that's a pretty tall order."

The new domain also could confuse users because it is a subdivision of America's sovereign "dot-us" domain, Cole said, adding that Internet users might not easily warm to typing in Web addresses that end in "dot-kids dot-us," as opposed to a single suffix like "dot-com."

NeuStar Inc., the Washington, D.C.-based company that won the contract to operate the dot-us domain, plans to offer addresses by mid-2003, but the company's business development officer, Jim Casey, said it would be a challenge to encourage mass participation in the domain.

"Our perception is that while we're hoping that it will be popular, we by no means think this is going to be a high-volume space like a dot-biz or dot-us," he said, adding that he was optimistic that kids.us would become a useful tool for parents.

The dot-kids law does not require NeuStar to promote the new domain, but Casey said the company probably would advertise the addresses when they become available. As is the case with other domain names, most direct promotion will fall to the Internet registrars that deal directly with domain-name customers, he added.

The company has not established the price of a kids.us address, but Casey said it would be higher than the price of a standard dot-us address to offset the cost of policing the domain.

NeuStar charges a wholesale fee of $5.50 per address, per year for standard dot-us Internet addresses. Internet registrars like Tucows determine the amount that customers must pay for the addresses, but standard retail prices hover around $35 per year.

Michael Goldstein, director of marketing communications for New York-based registrar Register.com, said his company may try to "reach out to businesses that are targeting kids," but only if market research shows that it's worthwhile.

"If our research indicated that there wasn't a huge opportunity, then I doubt we'd be putting a dedicated effort" toward dot-kids, Goldstein said.

Register.com Policy Director Elana Broitman said that the domain could be successful if it's marketed properly, but it's "just too early to predict" whether kids.us will strike a chord with address buyers.

Donna Rice Hughes, a child welfare advocate who has long championed the idea of a kid-friendly Internet domain, said the success of kids.us will depend on NeuStar.

"If the intent of Congress is implemented, I think it good be a good tool for parents," said Rice Hughes, who is president of Enough is Enough, and was a member of the Child Online Protection Act (COPA) Commission established by Congress to come up with ways to protect kids online.

The commission entertained the notion of a "dot-kids" domain, as well as a "dot-sex" domain for adult online images, but did not include either in its recommendations to Congress.

Esther Dyson, chairwoman of EDventure Holdings and former chairwoman of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), said that parents will be more interested in online brands they can trust, rather than new domains.

"I think that a domain name does not equal a brand name," Dyson said. "I'd rather have Disney, thanks, and so would most parents. If they don't like Disney, then they'll go for something they do like, whether it's a church group, Scientific American or Harry Potter. It [kids.us] just doesn't make a lot of sense to me as a business proposition."
*****************************
Computerworld
White House: IT, privacy concerns loom for Homeland Security Dept.
By Paul Roberts, IDG News Service
DECEMBER 11, 2002

Securing huge volumes of new information, protecting the privacy of citizens and migrating to a unified technology architecture are just a few of the problems confronting the Bush administration and the federal government in setting up the new U.S. Department of Homeland Security, according to Robert Shepherd, director of information integration in the White House Office of Homeland Security.
Shepherd gave the opening keynote address at the Infosecurity 2002 show yesterday in New York. He took the place of scheduled speaker Steven Cooper, CIO of the White House's Office of Homeland Security, who wasn't able to attend.

The Bush administration is currently creating an "enterprise architecture" for the new department that will define the way information is stored, handled and distributed within the new department, according to Shepherd.

"One objective we all have is to attempt to do this using a world-class approach and using best lessons learned in the private and public sectors to manage the creation of something of this scope," Shepherd said.

The White House is seeking advice from private-sector organizations that have undertaken large mergers, including Hewlett-Packard Co., on how to best merge 22 separate government departments into the new department.

In addition to soliciting advice from the private sector, the government also wants to use existing products and technologies to create the information infrastructure of the new department, according to Shepherd.

"The idea is to leverage the daylights out of best of breed. Don't invent from scratch," he said.

That infrastructure will replace a maze of department-specific systems that don't currently interoperate, according to Shepherd.

The U.S. Department of Defense alone has hundreds of systems just to manage its financial information, most of which don't communicate with one another. And each of the 22 separate agencies in the Homeland Defense Department will come with its own human resources department and systems, Shepherd said.

In addition to collecting information, the new department's systems must also help those who view the information understand and interpret it, according the Shepherd.

"It has to be that when someone queries the system, they get a response -- whether that's a person checking customs or INS or a cop on the street," he said. "And that information has to be presented in a user-friendly format. The content needs to enable the user to connect the dots."

At the same time, however, the Department of Homeland Security has to protect the civil liberties of U.S. citizens.

"To do this without ensuring [privacy] is to let the terrorists win. We don't want to infringe on [privacy] to perform the duties or responsibilities of the department," Shepherd said.

Even with a functioning and integrated technology infrastructure, however, the new department will face significant organizational challenges. Chief among them will be melding the separate cultures, identities and processes of the component agencies.

Big corporate mergers, such as HP's Compaq acquisition earlier this year, often take many months to plan and complete, Shepherd said. But the new Department of Homeland Security has only a small "core team" managing its creation and must have its headquarters up and running within 90 days, he added.
**********************************
Computerworld
Australian court's Web ruling 'provincial,' says cyberlaw expert
By David Legard, IDG News Service
DECEMBER 11, 2002

The decision yesterday by Australia's High Court to assert jurisdiction over allegedly defamatory material posted on a U.S. Web site has been roundly criticized by local media and cyberlaw experts.
In a landmark ruling, the court said a story published by Dow Jones & Co. on a U.S.-hosted Web site could be grounds for a defamation lawsuit to be heard in Australia (see story).

According to Ronald Movrich, professor of law at Dhurakijpundit University in Bangkok and a cyberlaw specialist, the ruling ignores the new publishing environment created by the global reach of the Internet.

"The court's ruling strikes me as being provincial to the extreme," he said in an e-mail. "The court's decision does not seem to take into account the revolutionary nature of the Internet and its ability to reach virtually everywhere -- something traditional TV or radio programs cannot do."

In its ruling, the court said the ubiquity of the Internet and the very different environment it offers weren't a sufficient argument for Australia to relinquish jurisdiction.

"There is nothing unique about multinational business, and it is in that that this appellant [Dow Jones] chooses to be engaged," the court said in its ruling. "If people wish to do business in ... or utilize the infrastructure of different countries, they can hardly expect to be absolved from compliance with the laws of those countries."

Newspaper publisher News Ltd., one of the several news organizations that offered evidence on Dow Jones' behalf, said in a statement that publishers everywhere would now have to edit their work to comply with Australia's defamation laws, which are regarded as restrictive compared with those in the U.S.

Magazine and newspaper publisher John Fairfax Holdings Ltd., normally a fierce rival to News in Australia, said on its Web site that it was "disappointed" with the ruling.

The court also rejected Dow Jones' suggestion that anyone, anywhere would now be free to file lawsuits against Internet content because it offended their particular culture.

"The specter which Dow Jones sought to conjure up in the present appeal, of a publisher forced to consider every article it publishes on the World Wide Web against the defamation laws of every country from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, is seen to be unreal when it is recalled that in all except the most unusual of cases, identifying the person about whom material is to be published will readily identify the defamation law to which that person may resort."
********************************
MSNBC
Spam to overtake real e-mail in 2003
Antivirus firm annual report paints bleak picture
By Bob Sullivan

Dec. 11 Some time next year, there will be more spam than real e-mail floating around the Internet. That's the conclusion drawn from annual statistics gathered by British e-mail filtering firm MessageLabs, which on Wednesday delivered disheartening news to e-mail users delivery of unsolicited e-mail rose sharply in the second half of this year. The annual report also revealed that one in every 212 e-mails contained a computer virus.

MESSAGELABS SOFTWARE sorts through 10 million e-mails a day, filtering each note sent to one of its clients before sending it along to its rightful recipient. That means the firm inspects over 3 billion e-mails a year, making MessageLabs a popular source of virus and spam research data.
And according to MessageLabs Chief Technology Officer Mark Sunner, the data shows clearly that spammers are currently getting much better at what they do. For the entire year, an average of 1 in 12 e-mails were spam; but that number increased steadily in the past months. And by November, 1 in three e-mails were spam. Because of that trend, the company predicted that during 2003, spam will overtake real e-mail.
Sunner blamed the recent increase on technology improvement which make spammers' work easier.
"What could be behind (the increase) is the amount of tools and appliances available now to these companies. You can buy e-mail appliance boxes which will ship millions of e-mails in an hour," he said.
MessageLabs release might seem to contradict a report issued earlier this week by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, which concluded that most Americans don't have a problem with spam at work. But the two studies measure different things, so they are not necessarily contradictory. The Pew report suggests that American workers only spend a few minutes a day dealing with spam in large part because spam aimed at office workers is stopped by various technologies, like the MessageLabs service.
Still, with some 30 percent of all e-mail being "rubbish of one kind or another" spam, viruses, or pornography technology workers are engaged in a difficult fight to keep e-mail users from becoming overwhelmed.
"There is very much an arms race between people that are trying to get this stuff out there and people trying to prevent it," he said.

STAYING POWER
Another disturbing trend in 2002 computer viruses that wouldn't go away. The Klez virus, which was introduced with little fanfare in the early part of this year, remains the world's most pesky computer bug. MessageLabs has now trapped 5 million copies of it, and it shows little signs of slowing down. In November, 423,000 copies of Klez were found. That compares to high-profile viruses like the LoveBug or the Anna Kournikova virus, which swept the globe quickly, but generally died down after a few weeks.
Klez is hard to spot because it arrives with randomly chosen subject lines and message body text.
Other viruses also proved to have staying power. Yaha, discovered in June, is still the world's second-most common bug.

VIRUS-LIKE SPAM
Sunner also said spam and computer viruses are beginning to merge, with commercial e-mail solicitations now arriving with virus-like characteristics. "Friendgreeting," released in October, claims to be a harmless electronic greeting card but instead, it sends copies of itself to everyone in the recipient's e-mail address book.
There's also been a large uptick in spam "spoofing" when a commercial e-mail solicitor pretends to send a note from an innocent third party in an attempt to trick the recipient into opening the advertisement. Internet users who've received angry messages from someone saying "stop sending me these e-mails," know how frustrating that can be to both victims. And the bad news is, there's not a lot people can do to prevent a spammer from picking up their e-mail address and putting it in the "From:" field of a spam message,
"In terms of spoofing there isn't a lot you personally can do to stop someone," Sunner said. "It's an inherent weaknesses in e-mail."
Expect more greeting cards, spoofing, and other virus-like tactics in 2003, the MessageLabs report says.

Lillie Coney
Public Policy Coordinator
U.S. Association for Computing Machinery
Suite 510
2120 L Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20037
202-478-6124