Clips November 11, 2002

ARTICLES

Is Open Source More Secure?
Panhandling moves into the Internet age
Baby Bells Hoping for a Reprieve
Lott Says Senate Could Pass Security Bill Within Days
Customs Chief Balances U.S. Security, Global Trade
States seek stiffer penalties for securities fraud
Mr. Qaddafi, You've Got Mail
'Stupidity expert' arrested for Internet solicitation
Amazon Writes a Drama in Canada
GIS group advances info-sharing project
National Archives and Records Administration seeks user input on data storage
GAO: Agencies share data despite laws
Mitre: Open-source code rife at DOD
'Sensitive' classification still a sensitive issue
Privacy questions still loom over biometrics
Public still unaware of biometrics
Agencies struggle with flood of homeland tech
Congress jumped the gun on biometrics, FBI official says
Skills gap shrinks between public, private tech workers
Standards agency seeks input on computer security

*****************************
TechTV
Is Open Source More Secure?
Network security expert Gene 'Spaf' Spafford offers some surprising opinions on the vulnerability of Linux.
Watch today at 2:30 a.m., 7:30 a.m., 12 p.m. Eastern.
By Gene Spafford

Editor's note: Professor Spafford will appear live on the Wednesday, November 6, episode of "The Screen Savers."

We often hear debate about which is more secure: open source or proprietary source. Each side makes arguments and refutes the arguments of others. In truth, neither is correct (or both are). Whether or not source is proprietary does not determine if the software is better.
Instead, other factors are more important in determining the overall quality and trustworthiness of a system.

·	Completeness and consistency of design
·	Training and dedication of developers
·	Type and quality of tools used to develop the system
·	Extent and fidelity of testing
·	Complexity of the user interface

From this standpoint, few current offerings, whether open or proprietary, are really trustworthy, and this includes both Windows and Linux, the two systems that consistently have the most security vulnerabilities and release the most security-critical patches.

Know thy user

Security is highly dependent on context and requirements. A system that is adequate for use by a trained technologist in a closed development environment has very different requirements than a system deployed for use in business WWW server applications, and neither is likely to have requirements similar to a high-security military communications environment.

Unfortunately, too many people base their decisions on acquisition cost or compatibility of word processing software or upon the simple comparison of only two or three systems. The result is, not surprisingly, a significantly vulnerable computing base.

Know thy history

Many of the people who are most vocal in this debate have never formally studied security and have no experience with any of the security-certified systems. Thus, the comparisons made to justify their arguments are really too limited.

For instance, some of the most secure systems ever developed (e.g. S/COMP, GEMSOS, Trusted Solaris) were proprietary. However, those same systems met the old Orange Book criteria for B-3 or A-1 trust certification. Those systems developed in a proprietary environment were by organizations that employed consistent specification methods, strong development tools, and highly trained personnel. They also were able to develop specific design criteria with security as a core principle.

However, this is not a characteristic that is always associated with proprietary source. Open-source systems have been developed the same way, and few of today's proprietary systems are developed with such care.

Some open-source projects are clearly more trustworthy than their proprietary counterparts. As an example, compare the Apache Web server (open source) against the Microsoft IIS server (proprietary code). The IIS code consistently has five to 10 times as many serious security flaws reported each year than does the Apache server.

Yet compare the vulnerabilities reported in Linux this year against those for Solaris or AIX (both proprietary source), and you find that Linux has three to five times as many vulnerabilities. If you look at several years of such reports and do the comparisons, it becomes clear there is no argument to be made generally for open vs. proprietary, although it is certainly possible to say that some systems are less likely to have flaws that render them vulnerable to attacks.

Debunking the open-source arguments

Open-source advocates often claim that the true security benefits of open source are that the code is open to inspection by many eyes and that flaws, when found, can be patched quickly. Let's look at each of these arguments separately.

That many eyes can review the code is not necessarily correlated to making software more secure. For one thing, if the people examining the code don't know what to look for or are depending only on manual inspection (without testing), then there is no guarantee they will find security-related flaws.

Faults that depend on subtle interactions with other software or hardware are easy to miss unless they are examined together. Few people have the training to do security audits that include nuances such as these.

This is why we have seen reports of security flaws in software that has been in the open for years, such as Kerberos and OpenSSL. What is more surprising is that these are packages of security software in widespread use! Clearly, more is needed than simply making the software available for inspection.

The second argument is based on an abuse of the word "secure." A system that needs frequent patching is not secure, even if it is simple and quick to apply those patches. By analogy, if you owned a car that frequently blew up or ran into walls because the brakes or steering failed, the fact that you could replace the bumpers or tires yourself would not make the car "safer." A secure system is one that works correctly under stress and under attack -- it does not need frequent patching.

That one can more easily patch Linux than Windows simply means that it may be more maintainable, or easier to administer. By itself, maintainability is not security.

A perfect system?

I personally use Mac OS X and Solaris. In our center, we use those systems, as well as FreeBSD, OpenBSD, every version of Windows, Mac OS 9, and several versions of Linux (including Debian, RedHat, and SUSE), along with several research systems.
I've used all of these, and at least another score of operating systems over the last 20 years. I've seen excellent software produced in closed shops and in the open-source community. I've also seen terrible software produced in each.

Our experience has been that having trained administrators, good policies, appropriate tools, and a mixed environment of systems can result in a highly dependable and productive computing environment. In both development and operation, the human factor transcends the issue of how open the source might be and is the most important for security.

Gene Spafford is director of Purdue University's Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security (CERIAS). He is author of "Practical Unix and Internet Security," now available from Amazon.com.
*****************************
Houston Chronicle
Panhandling moves into the Internet age
Associated Press
NEW YORK -- After an 18-month bacchanal buying Manolo Blahnik, Gucci and Prada, Karyn Bosnak found herself unemployed and more than $20,000 in credit card debt.

When the 29-year-old spotted a sign in a supermarket with an odd request -- "Wanted: $7,000 To Pay Off Debt" -- it made perfect sense. The television producer launched a similar appeal to a much larger audience: the World Wide Web.

Internet panhandling was born.

Now, more than 3 1/2 months after launching www.savekaryn.com, Bosnak has received more than $12,900 from hundreds of donors worldwide. Coupled with the online auction of the high-ticket items that drove her into debt, plus earnings from a new job, she is about $700 shy of breaking even.

"At first I figured it wouldn't work, but I could collect some stories out of it and maybe I'd write a book," she said. "But it must have struck some sort of a chord because people just started sending me money.

"I guess many people can relate to debt."

Yet for every person who feels her pain, or simply admires her creativity, there is another who condemns her method. One angry e-mailer wished she would die of cancer.

And there's the internet backlash, with anti-Karyn sites like www.dontsavekaryn.com, which promises to "waste your money in inventive and creative ways."

Or www.savekarynnot.com, which asks people to donate money to charity rather than finance Karyn's "bikini wax binge and Prada party."

"I never thought I would offend anyone," she said. "I guess I was wrong."

Still, the venture has been an undeniable success, landing Bosnak in "People" magazine and on NBC's "Today" show. Even better, the collected money was tax-free -- considered a gift, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

Bosnak says she has even been approached by a publisher for a possible book deal, and a producer about selling the movie rights.

"It's an issue of timing and a great concept, and of course great word of mouth," said Frank Catalano, author of "Internet Marketing for Dummies."

"Stuff like this is not easily replicable. It utilizes the watercooler factor," he said, "but really, it's an inspired anomaly."

He said he doesn't find the bipolar response surprising.

"If you're going to stand up in public and flash people, some folks will take photos, and others will throw ice water on you," he said.

Karyn's financial troubles began when she moved to New York from Chicago in May 2000, near the end of the economic boom. She had just taken a job as a producer for King World Productions on a short-lived reality courtroom program called "Curtis Court."

Earning "well over $100,000 a year," Karyn rented an expensive apartment in midtown Manhattan within walking distance of Henri Bendel, Bergdorf Goodman and Bloomingdale's.

"I didn't know that many people here, so I just walked around checking out the city and I'd end up buying things," she said.

Which meant charging $400 Prada slingback shoes, $500 Gucci purses, pedicures and $150 trips to the hair salon on her six credit cards.

"In my mind I was making a lot of money, so I should live like I make a lot of money," she said. "Spending $500 on a Gucci purse didn't seem like a big deal."

But after the failure of "Curtis Court," and a stint with the even shorter-lived "Ananda Lewis Show," Karyn found herself out of a job and faced with an enormous debt in the shaky post-Sept. 11 economy.

"I got really depressed," she said. "And then I snapped back into reality."

First, she moved from her midtown digs to a more modest, shared apartment in Brooklyn. For the following four months she was unemployed and living la vida frugal -- no more trips to the beauty shop, no more nights on the town.

In April, she finally got a job on the Animal Planet show "Dog Days," but took more than a 50 percent pay cut. After doing the math, she figured it would take 40 years to pay off the debt. Then she saw the sign in the supermarket, and the rest is history.

Karyn says she intends to "pass the buck" when her debt is paid off, turning the site over to a similarly indebted soul. Any money she receives after clearing her debt will go to charity, she says.

"Also, if this movie thing should happen, then I'll match whatever everyone gave me and give it to charity," she said.

But has she really learned her lesson?

"Oh yes, definitely," she said. "Becoming the face of consumer debt was not necessarily a situation I wanted to find myself in, and I certainly would never want to find my way here again."
**********************************
New York Times
Baby Bells Hoping for a Reprieve

I n the clubby world of Senate policy-making, a single senator in a critical position can effectively bring legislation to a standstill.

Senator Ernest F. Hollings, Democrat of South Carolina, largely accomplished just that in the costliest lobbying battle over the last year one that may decide which companies will have an edge in the next generation of telecommunications.

The senator's gatekeeper role as chairman of the Commerce Committee helped to stifle a bill that was backed by the regional Bell telephone companies and had passed the House by an almost two-thirds majority. The legislation, which would have freed the Bells from being forced to lease their advanced data communications networks to competitors, had been opposed by AT&T and other communications carriers who count Senator Hollings among their allies.

But now that the Republicans have regained control of the Senate, Senator Hollings will be replaced as the committee's chairman by John McCain, the Arizona Republican who had led the panel until a year and a half ago and has a close relationship with the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission. By tradition, the Commerce Committee typically takes the lead on communications issues.

While telecommunications is not generally a partisan issue, the Baby Bells are welcoming a reprieve from one of their harshest opponents.

"Senator Hollings has historically been very clear about his opinion of the Bells," said William M. Daley, a secretary of commerce in the Clinton administration who now serves as president of SBC Communications. SBC is second only to Verizon Communications, another offspring of the breakup of the Bell System, among the nation's largest local phone companies. "McCain may be a little more open to some of the positions that we as an industry articulate."

Still, while Senator McCain generally favors deregulation as a way to stimulate competition, the Baby Bells will not necessarily find him a strong ally, given his populist tones.

"Senator McCain places consumer interests above special interests," Pia Pialorsi, his spokeswoman, said. "He advocates a deregulatory environment that he believes will best support the growth of competitive markets and benefit consumers."

As with many aspects of his policy-making, Senator McCain has historically chosen an independent path on telecommunications issues. He was one of five senators and the only Republican to vote against the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which helped begin a process of relaxing many telephone industry regulations and easing the Bells' way into the long-distance market.

At the time, Senator McCain argued that the law did not take deregulation far enough and would lead to prolonged litigation. Indeed, a number of provisions of the 1996 law wound up in federal courts.

For the Bells and their competitors, the big contest involves the future of the broadband, or high-capacity high-speed networks, that business customers and consumers are demanding. It is a business worth billions of dollars in annual revenues, and the open questions around the network include who will build it, who will have access to it, who will control it and who will subsidize it.

The Baby Bells which in addition to Verizon and SBC are BellSouth and Qwest Communications International argue that they need to be unshackled from their obligations under the 1996 law. To promote local competition, the law required the Bell companies to open their longtime monopoly networks to rivals, generally by leasing access to all the pieces of those networks at wholesale prices.

But the Bells say this process has put them at an economic disadvantage to cable television companies, which do not face such requirements and which have sprinted ahead of the local phone companies in offering broadband Internet service to residential customers. Last February, a bill sponsored by Representatives Billy Tauzin, Republican of Louisiana, and John D. Dingell, Democrat of Michigan, passed the House in a bipartisan vote of 273 to 157, freeing the Bells from many of the leasing requirements.

"Tauzin-Dingell was all about telling the F.C.C. that the majority of house thought the Telecom Act was broken," said Scott Cleland, the chief executive of the Precursor Group, a communications research firm in Washington. "That message was sent and received."

Opposing the Bells is a large coalition of long-distance carriers like AT&T, WorldCom and Sprint; Internet service providers; upstart phone companies; and cable companies.

"We're not opposed to deregulation, but we think the competition ought to be developed first," said Peter G. Jacoby, vice president of Congressional relations at AT&T.

Along with the House majority, Senator McCain and Michael K. Powell, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, seem to be in general agreement that deregulation is the solution to stimulating the telecommunications markets. The differences may lie in the details, methods and timing.

In August, Senator McCain introduced a bill on broadband deregulation, one seen as more of an intellectual exercise than as a pragmatic piece of legislation. The proposal, in which both sides find things to like and dislike, was seen as the senator's way of injecting his views into the debate, without taking sides.

"Unlike other bills which clearly favored one side or another, it takes a much more market-by-market approach," said Blair Levin, a former chief of staff at the F.C.C. who is now an analyst for the investment firm Legg Mason Wood Walker.

The bill, for example, continues to provide the Bells' competitors with access to the older technologies in the Bells' networks, while taking a hands-off approach to broadband facilities that the Bells may build.

The proposal, focusing on the residential market, also takes an antiregulation stance, by restricting the ability of the F.C.C. and state agencies to impose requirements on high-speed Internet providers.

While Senator McCain's legislation is dormant, it serves as a signal of his thinking to the F.C.C., which is now conducting evaluations that are very likely to remove a number of the obstacles for the Baby Bells, industry analysts say. Senator McCain and Mr. Powell share a cordial relationship and deregulatory philosophy. It was Senator McCain's intervention in 1997, after all, that helped Mr. Powell win a seat on the F.C.C. during the Clinton administration.

It is at the F.C.C. where the industry now expects the broadband matter to be decided. But Senator McCain will still be able to use the Commerce Committee as a bully pulpit on his other pet telecommunications issues like rising cable television prices. In April, he asked the General Accounting Office to conduct a review of why cable prices have climbed so steeply. Since 1996, cable rates have risen 36 percent, almost three times the pace of inflation, the Consumers Union said.

While he has not taken a position on EchoStar's proposed acquisition of its satellite television rival DirecTV, which the Justice Department and F.C.C. have both rejected, Senator McCain has said that the satellite industry needs more support to make inroads into cable's market share. He has also criticized the broadcast industry for what he considers its foot-dragging in the transition to digital television.

A maverick proposal is the senator's call to broadcasters to grant free air time for political candidates a campaign reform measure which the National Association of Broadcasters, one of the largest and most influential lobbying groups, strictly opposes. Senator McCain said free time would de-emphasize large contributions by reducing candidates dependence on fund-raising.
***********************
New York Times
November 11, 2002
Lott Says Senate Could Pass Security Bill Within Days
By DAVID FIRESTONE

WASHINGTON, Nov. 10 Trent Lott, the Senate Republican leader, said today that he hoped the Senate could approve a vast new Homeland Security Department this week, a move that would break a two-month deadlock and begin the long-awaited reorganization of the federal government to prevent terrorism.

"I think we are very close," Mr. Lott said this morning on the NBC program "Meet the Press." "We hope by Tuesday or Wednesday we would have a bill that could be passed by the Senate by a wide margin."

But Mr. Lott, who is not yet the majority leader, did not explain how such a momentous vote could take place so quickly, within the first three days of the lame-duck Congressional session that begins on Tuesday. At least for two weeks, the Republicans still lack a majority to push through the Bush administration's version of the department, which would eliminate many of the Civil Service protections that federal employees have in most other government agencies.

Mr. Lott said he believed his side now had the votes to approve the administration's plan. Before the election recess, Democrats had 51 votes in the Senate for their plan, while Republicans, with 49 votes, were filibustering to prevent it from being approved.

During that period, Senator Paul Wellstone, a staunch supporter of the Democratic plan, was killed in a plane crash, and his temporary replacement, Dean Barkley, has not said which version he plans to support. Mr. Lott said today that he "had the impression" that Mr. Barkley might join the Republicans. Unless he has received a private pledge of Mr. Barkley's vote, the Republicans would have to rely on a Democrat to switch sides, and none have yet publicly stated an intention to do so.

Most of the new Republican senators elected last week will take office next year. The Republicans will gain the Senate majority in about two weeks, when the votes that elected James M. Talent as the new senator from Missouri are certified. (Mr. Talent can take office early because he is filling the last four years of the term of Mel Carnahan, who died two years ago in a plane crash.)

Also on "Meet the Press," the Senate Democratic leader, Tom Daschle, repeated his offer from last month to allow the Republicans a straight vote on their version of the domestic security bill, followed by a vote on the Democratic plan. Republicans rejected that offer at the time.

"My offer still holds," he said. "I don't think I should change the rules or change my position on procedure just because we may or may not have the votes now."

He noted that Republicans had used the domestic security issue effectively against two Democratic senators who lost their re-election bids and suggested they might back off their insistence on Civil Service changes now that the issue had served its political purpose.

"They've opposed getting it done before the election so they could blame the Democrats, because they knew the president had the megaphone," Mr. Daschle said. "So we understand that. There were all kinds of political games being played. Now we have got to get the job done. Now the game should be over."

But it appears unlikely that the Republicans will back off their plans, knowing they will control the Senate in a matter of weeks.

Mr. Lott agreed to an accelerated timetable for approving the Homeland Security Department at the insistence of President Bush, who said last week that quick passage of the agency was now the top priority of the White House.

"It's imperative that it pass in the 107th Congress," said Andrew H. Card Jr., the White House chief of staff, on the same program today. "So that when the 108th Congress convenes we do have a department up and ready to run."
*****************************
Washington Post
Customs Chief Balances U.S. Security, Global Trade
By John Mintz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 11, 2002; Page A23

It was early on Sept. 11, 2001, and Robert C. Bonner, newly named but not yet confirmed to head the U.S. Customs Service, was at the Treasury Department receiving a briefing. Suddenly, the building was evacuated following news of the attacks in New York. Minutes later, speaking by secure phone with a top aide he had barely met, Bonner was told, "Sir, we need to declare a Level One Security Alert."

Bonner had one question: "Ahhh, what's a Level One Security Alert?"

He realized then that, whatever his inexperience at the agency, he now had the difficult job of refocusing the 22,000-employee agency toward a new mission -- stopping terrorists from penetrating U.S. borders.

Since that day, Bonner has received strong reviews for the grit and aggressiveness he has brought to the job, and also for his sensitivity to the needs of the U.S. business community, which fears obsession with security will choke off global trade.

Customs did shift to Level One security that day, and its inspectors at 301 ports of entry immediately ratcheted up scrutiny of incoming cars, trucks, trains and ships. Soon, lines at the bridges connecting Canada and Michigan stretched for miles, and waiting times grew to 12 hours.

U.S. car manufacturers, who would have to shutter their plants without Canadian parts, feared an economic catastrophe, and Bonner quickly learned the dangers of overcorrecting. He hurriedly lined up help from Canadian officials and the Michigan National Guard, and he had lines at the border back to normal within days.

"We have these two huge twin goals that we need to attend to, providing security and allowing for trade and travel," Bonner said in a recent interview.

"I give Bonner a lot of points," said Stephen E. Flynn, a former Coast Guard commander who directed an authoritative Council on Foreign Relations task force on domestic security last month that issued scathing criticisms of vulnerabilities at U.S. harbors. "He's done a great job" at the main tasks of a Customs commissioner in this crisis, Flynn said.

Instead, Flynn said, U.S. port security has been hobbled in part because Treasury Department and congressional officials failed to fully fund some security needs.

Bonner has earned a reputation for forcefulness throughout his career. As a U.S. attorney in Los Angeles in the 1980s, he prosecuted the Mexican murderers of kidnapped Drug Enforcement Administration agent Kiki Camarena, winning convictions against 10 men, including some Mexican officials.

Named DEA administrator in 1990, he immediately ordered his subordinates to make cases against big-time money launderers. For the first time, the U.S. government would stanch drug dealers' money flow. The DEA unit devoted to the task grew from two people to 80 almost overnight.

"He's all about taking action and changing things," said Gregory Passic, who ran that DEA team and now probes terrorist financing for the National Security Council. "He was one of the first guys to realize the importance of financial investigations."

Bonner aides point out the irony that this former DEA chief is now traveling the nation, urging Customs employees to end their single-minded pursuit of finding narcotics in people's luggage and to focus more on spotting enriched uranium and nuclear bombs.

FBI officials say Bonner has been overly ambitious in steering Customs into complex terrorism investigations, such as the probes of terror funding by its Operation Greenquest. Customs agents, the FBI officials say, are in over their heads in the realm of terrorism and lack the security clearances to do the job.

Bonner's defenders scoff at the criticism, saying that Customs has decades of experience attacking money laundering and that the FBI criticism is based on turf consciousness.

Bonner declined to respond. Passic explains why: "This is not a parochial guy."

Bonner again demonstrated his penchant for action weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Congress was passing a new law requiring foreign airlines to provide Customs with lists of arriving passengers. But the law wouldn't take effect for months, and some Middle Eastern airlines balked. So Bonner ordered that all passengers of uncooperative airlines be searched upon arrival.

"Within days, we had 100 percent compliance because he played hardball," a Bonner aide said. "We got a quick education who this guy is."

Much of Bonner's time has been devoted to enlisting 1,000 U.S. importers, shipping firms and other businesses in a counter-terrorism program of his design. They must perform employee background checks and take other steps to tighten security; in exchange, they receive expedited processing of goods across borders.

But his top priority has been intermodal containers, the 40-foot-long metal boxes that are loaded on ships, trains and trucks and handle 90 percent of the world's cargo. Customs inspectors can scrutinize only 2 percent of the millions of containers entering U.S. ports every year.

In an effort to, in Bonner's words, "extend the perimeter outward," he has traveled the world, persuading 14 of the world's top 20 ports -- from Rotterdam to Singapore -- to agree to new security procedures and allow Customs employees to inspect goods at their seaports. Their payoff, again, is faster processing of goods entering this country.

Trade experts express amazement at the speed with which Bonner has persuaded foreign trade ministries to join in -- and with minimal help from other U.S. agencies. Just two weeks ago, he got China's two mega-ports on board, and last week Italy's port of Genoa signed up.

Bonner has generated more controversy in ramming through his bureaucracy a new rule requiring importers to provide Customs with manifests of their incoming cargo 24 hours before the goods are loaded at a foreign port. Customs officials said they need such data to decide which containers should be scanned with high-tech machinery or searched.

Some trade firms, especially Customs brokers, protested, saying the rule would require too much paperwork and cost them money. Bonner granted a few concessions -- exempting bulk importers of oil and lumber, for example -- but essentially stuck to his plan.

"I don't know if I'd say it was quite ramming down our throat," said Federico C. Zuniga, president of the National Customs Brokers and Forwarders Association, "but they had a set plan and they followed it."
*********************************
USA Today
States seek stiffer penalties for securities fraud
By Edward Iwata, USA TODAY

SAN FRANCISCO Eager to jail more corporate crooks, state enforcers are seeking to strengthen state laws against financial fraud.

Their moves come as federal and state authorities continue to investigate scandals such as Enron that have cost investors billions of dollars.

Securities regulators, attorneys general and lawmakers in California, Oregon, Kansas, Ohio and Pennsylvania are proposing longer prison terms and higher fines for corporate wrongdoers.

"White-collar criminals should be held accountable and punished accordingly," says Kansas Securities Commissioner David Brant.

In Kansas, proposed laws would more severely punish those nailed for securities fraud. For instance, a stockbroker convicted for peddling $1.3 million in bogus investments could be serving a 5-year maximum term not the 19-month maximum he received.

California Attorney General Bill Lockyer is seeking laws to permit his office to take on all civil and criminal securities cases. Only state prosecutors in New York, New Jersey, Maryland and Delaware can do both now. Elsewhere, securities regulators handle civil cases that may result in fines and license revocations for wrongdoers. They refer criminal actions carrying harsher penalties to state prosecutors and local district attorneys.

Lockyer and other state prosecutors hope to wield the same legal clout as New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, who has won fame for his investigations of Wall Street banks. New York's1921 Martin Act is touted as the nation's strongest state securities law.

"We can't afford to be lapdogs," says Lockyer, president-elect of the National Association of Attorneys General.

Some legal experts say more state laws will overburden a highly regulated industry and cause clashes between state and federal authorities. "Enacting 52 different laws and policies isn't the answer," says New York attorney Mark Astarita of Beam & Astarita.

The key problem is a dearth of staffing and money, not weak laws, says Indiana Securities Commissioner Brad Skolnik.

"Unfortunately," he says, "white-collar crime still isn't as high on our national agenda as it needs to be."
**********************************
New York Times
November 10, 2002
Mr. Qaddafi, You've Got Mail
By DAVID F. GALLAGHER

IF you've sent an e-mail message to Saddam Hussein lately, you should know that his in-box is a little backed up and that it might take him a while to get back to you.

This public service announcement comes by way of Brian McWilliams, a freelance reporter for the technology Web site Wired News. Last month, Mr. McWilliams took advantage of some poor security measures and gained access to a trove of unread e-mail messages sent to the Iraqi leader by visitors to his official Web site.

In an article about the break-in, Mr. McWilliams said he stumbled on messages of support, business proposals and obscene death threats, along with the usual load of spam.

Mr. McWilliams's minor hacking job raises some obvious ethical issues. But it also raises a question for these troubled times: how easy is it for the average Internet user to communicate with the world's least friendly regimes?

A quick tour of government Web sites suggests that would-be desktop diplomats face some hurdles. Even though the most technophobic nations have some kind of Internet presence nowadays, few seem interested in having a serious dialogue with Web surfers. It's also clear that the more prickly countries tend not to be adept at online public relations. A sampler follows.

?

North Korea relies on a Spain-based group called the Korean Friendship Association to maintain its official Web site, www.Korea-DPR.com. The site solicits e-mail feedback and posts contributions from visitors, but only if they celebrate the memory of Kim Il Sung, North Korea's founder and the father of the current ruler, Kim Jong Il. One contribution is attributed only to "Internet guest":

Kim Il Sung!

Where would I be without your guidance?

Kim Il Sung!

Your picture adorns my every wall.

Kim Il Sung!

We are such good comrades.

Kim Il Sung!

Without you my world would fall.

The Chinese government tries a little harder to engage the online masses. At the China Internet Information Center (www.china.org.cn), editors answer questions from readers in the tone of a patient librarian. In response to a request for fish recipes, they offer one in which the finished fish "beautifully resembles the shape of a squirrel." The site also includes letters from readers offering opinions on more contentious topics opinions that seem to line up perfectly with those of China's leaders. This letter is said to be from a 14-year-old boy in Melbourne, Australia:

One of the things I hope to see completed in my lifetime is for Taiwan to become part of China again. Taiwan is truly inalienable from China, it shares the same culture, same history, and just as Hong Kong became just as prosperous under Chinese government, so would Taiwan be if China governed it. It is only prolonging suffering of its people by having people of the same heritage "split" in different countries. . . . I hope to work in China one day! Thank you for reading my mail, and please reply if you have time.

Libya's official Web presence is limited to a simple site for its United Nations consulate. But a chaotic London-based site called Mathaba.net has picked up the slack, providing a virtual shrine to Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi that invites visitors to send him an S.M.S., a short text message typically transmitted between cellphones. The site's owner did not respond to a request for information on exactly how this works, and Colonel Qaddafi did not respond to a message. But a few notes from other visitors are posted on the site. Here are a few, with the senders' names omitted:

I have followed your progress and I am proud of you. I would like to have an office telephone number and fax number to make contact with you. God bless you.

United States

Dear Mr. Qaddafi, Salam, we honor your independent stance in the world policy; let us always keep in view our COMMON ENEMIES: Israel and zionized America . . . Allah Akbar!

Ukraine

Glad to see recent statements by your gov. concerning Libya's desire to improve its human rights record, return to the community of nations and renounce terrorism as state policy.

United States

Dear Muammar. Hope 2cu soon again in the desert.

Austria

Western "democracy" has changed into oppressive tyranny liberty lost. No truth in press. My eyes are opening. Good Luck.

Australia

The gold star for online friendliness among axis-of-evil nations goes to Iran, whose elected president, Mohammad Khatami, is famous for embracing the Internet. His site (www.president .ir) offers his e-mail address and a form that allows visitors to send him messages in Farsi. The form actually lets users replace Mr. Khatami's address and write to anyone in the world, provided it's in Farsi, though it is not clear whether this is a bug or an added feature.

Of course, Mr. Khatami is also famous for the way his reform agenda has been undermined by the harder-line clerics who hold ultimate power including the power to repress dissent in Iran. Still, he soldiers on in the cause of openness, maintaining an English-language guest book, an apparently uncensored forum where visitors can leave their comments for all to read. The postings are full of pro- and anti-Iranian sentiment, much of it from Americans, and include several incoherent rants. Some excerpts:

This Web site is one of the most despicable pieces of Orwellianism I've ever seen! You say you hate terrorism yet you are the biggest terrorist in the world. . . . LONG LIVE DEMOCRACY! FREE SPEECH! RELIGIOUS FREEDOM! GO TEXAS RANGERS BASEBALL!

United States

Mr. President, allow me permission to travel from Spokane, Washington, to Tehran, Iran, to teach you how to get more imports/exports into your country. Your people need the food and clean water. I can show you how to do this and you will be the hero. Think about it. Thank you.

United States

India stands shoulder to shoulder with Iran. I am very happy with the strategic relationship you have formed with the Russians. Russia, Iran and India are a deadly combination that can end the American hegemony in the world. . . . With some of their major companies collapsing like a pack of cards the American economy is all set for a thunderous fall.

India

We should all be very afraid of the tension with the U.S. They have technology we can not even imagine. I know, I've seen it in Iraq. Please Mr. President, comply with their demands before they send us all to Allah.

Iran

Dear Mr. Khatami, I love Iran, I love its culture, I love its people and so do most Americans but in order to receive the fruits of that love you must meet us halfway and at least put forth an effort to help rid the world of terrorism. Please help before your country, people and culture suffer the fate of all our enemies, complete destruction. And that would be most unfortunate. Thanks.

United States

Mr. Khatami: You are a shame for Iranians. You are nothing but a coward, you have wasted the opportunity given by the people. . . . If you had a shred of dignity, you would have long resigned by now. . . . But you don't!

Iran

To call Iran part of a make-believe evil axis is to not represent the true thoughts of Americans. We know most Iranian people are good, innocent, nonviolent people. We know you love as Americans do and that a family is a family no matter what continent we live on. . . . May Mr. Bush stop his words of hate and progress to words of encouragement toward the beautiful Iranian people.

United States

Iran is so great!! The freedom to be a true Muslim is cool. The West is so so repressive and has caused all the world's problems. . . . I hope Allah will punish those evil Americans. Allah bless Iran.

United States

Of course, Web niceties do little good unless the leaders actually read their mail. Questions about President Khatami's Internet habits, e-mailed to his address and that of his site staff, went unanswered last week. A Pennsylvania man was shocked a year ago when his e-mail message to Saddam Hussein about the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks prompted a 10-page reply ostensibly from Mr. Hussein himself. Yet Mr. McWilliams said that when he looked into Mr. Hussein's e-mail account last month it was filled completely with unread messages. It seems the endless barrage of spam can wear down even the most hardened ruler.
*******************************
USA Today
'Stupidity expert' arrested for Internet solicitation

LANTANA, Fla. (AP) A man who has written two books on stupidity was arrested for allegedly trying to arrange sex with a 15-year-old girl over the Internet. The girl turned out to be an undercover male detective.

James F. Welles, the 61-year-old author of The Story of Stupidity and Understanding Stupidity, was taken into custody last week after arranging to meet the girl at a restaurant, investigators said.

He was charged with soliciting a minor over the Internet and was released on bail. He did not immediately return a call to his Pompano Beach home Friday.

According to police, Welles was aware of the possibility of a sting, saying in one message that he worried about "the state of Florida looming in the background."
*****************************
Los Angeles Times
Cyber Crime Fighters Escape Funding Cut
Thousands of high-tech crimes confront law enforcement, including an intrusion into the state controller's computer.
By William Overend
Times Staff Writer

November 10 2002

SACRAMENTO -- California's computer crime force was on the chopping block. It was May, and state budget cutters were threatening the five regional investigative squads with a 30% slash in funding.

Then came disclosure of a high-tech crime close to home at Sacramento's Teale Data Center: A hacker had accessed the state controller's computer, which holds the Social Security numbers of 265,000 state employees, including Gov. Gray Davis.

As investigators followed the trail, they discovered computer intrusion on a global scale. By hacking into a computer server known as "Godzilla," the intruder had gained access to nearly every state computer in California. Systems in 156 countries had also been cracked, including those of more than 1,000 businesses and agencies in the United States.

The complex case, still unsolved, is just one of thousands of computer crimes confronting California law enforcement.

Whether the breach at the Teale Data Center influenced the Legislature, no one wants to say. But the 30% cut was eliminated, despite the state's continuing budget crunch. A spokesman for the governor's office of criminal justice planning said last week that full funding would continue for the state's high-technology crime investigators.

"The task forces will be funded at the same level as the previous year's funding," said the spokesman, Tim Herrera. "There has been speculation about cuts, but the governor sees this as an area that needs funding so these cyber cops can do their jobs."

State Atty. Gen. Bill Lockyer believes that even more computer investigators are required.

"We need to dramatically expand these operations," said Lockyer. "If we doubled them in size, that might be a start.... This is the fastest-growing crime in America."

From the most violent murders to the most common frauds, police and prosecutors increasingly find that high-tech detective work is now a necessary part of almost every investigation. Even if a computer is not used to commit a crime, it still can hold valuable evidence in its memory.

"The computer takes away what I call the moral speed bumps," said Deputy Atty. Gen. Robert Morgester, who helped start the state task force system. "Like stalking somebody. Without a computer, you have to leave your house and do it yourself. Now you can do it right in your home."

A few years ago, the state had only one high-tech criminal investigator. Today there are 167 from state, federal and local agencies. Together, they receive about $13 million from the state and similar amounts from local funding and grants.

Just as the state has beefed up its resources, the FBI has made cyber crime an increasingly important priority. Larger police agencies have done the same. And the Secret Service recently announced the opening of new task forces in Los Angeles and San Francisco, aimed primarily at protecting banking and other financial infrastructures from cyber terrorists.

Some computer-based swindles net tens of millions of dollars; some hit hundreds or thousands of people for small amounts each. Some people use computers to stalk and terrorize. Many more use them for sexual exploitation, especially of children.

People using computers can counterfeit everything from bank checks to high-quality $100 bills. A Social Security or credit card number is often all a criminal needs to clean somebody out.

Altogether, according to state statistics through June 2001, in just two years, 410,000 people were affected by cyber crime. The amount known to have been lost by companies and individuals approaches $333 million.

Most recently, the San Diego task force was called to help solve a Riverside County case that had court officials puzzled. Employees had noticed that bail amounts had been reduced to zero in some cases and future court dates had been deleted.

Investigators logged on to the computer system and began watching it around the clock, said the task force leader, Michael Groch.

"The investigators could see the suspect activity while it was taking place," Groch said. "Eventually, it turned out to involve a man with considerable computer skills."

According to investigators, Brandon Wilson and William Grace cracked into the county's court computer system 72 times, altering Wilson's records and those of four other people to make it appear that their cases had been closed.

Charges included possession of illegal drugs and weapons, failure to appear in court, driving under the influence, and manufacturing and importing weapons. Officials say Wilson changed the records to show that the charges had been dismissed.

Wilson also changed drug and gun charges for one woman, and traffic charges for a man, investigators said. Wilson also was charged with altering the records of an accused embezzler and another man charged with driving under the influence.

Facing 216 felony counts each since their arrest in June, Wilson and Grace have pleaded not guilty and await trial in Riverside County.

Morgester said one problem in past computer crime cases has been a history of light sentences. In addition, many prosecutors are reluctant to pursue them because they are often complex and pose difficult jurisdictional problems. A criminal can touch victims thousands of miles away.

"An old adage in law enforcement is, 'If it doesn't bleed, it isn't a crime,' " Morgester said.

As with the state's other task forces in San Jose, Napa, Los Angeles and San Diego, the Sacramento office is a mix of top electronics experts and cops pulled from other duties.

On a Tuesday morning, Sacramento County Sheriff's Det. Dave Wright, assigned to a federally funded program on Internet crimes against children, said thousands of chat rooms focus on child porn.

"Computers are great for business, but they are wrecking our society," Wright said. "Child porn is as common as speeding on the freeway."

The range of cyber cases is just as broad for the Southern California High Tech Task Force in Norwalk, led by Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Rick Craigo.

"One of our biggest cases was counterfeit software coming in from Taiwan," Craigo said. "We received information last November from Microsoft and [the] U.S. Customs [Service] that it was arriving. We arrested the chief suspect the same day, and ultimately wound up with $100 million in counterfeit software of Microsoft and Symantec products. The chief suspect here faces a possible sentence of up to nine years."

Such cases are only the most visible types of cyber crime, however, Craigo said.

"By Dec. 31 this year, we estimate we will have 12,000 identity theft cases in Los Angeles alone. We have 11 investigators to handle them," Craigo said.

But even as cyber crime investigators scratch for more money, they speak of the need for U.S. businesses and private citizens to take a more critical view of the personal information now being routinely gathered on every citizen.

"Ask yourself: Does your dentist really need to know your Social Security number?" said Lt. Mike Tsuchida of the Sacramento task force. "Do all those businesses out there really need all the information they gather now? Should you be giving it so freely?"

Much the same point is made by those on the academic side of the issue. Fred Cotton, director of a national computer training center based in Sacramento, said government and businesses need to rethink their information-gathering processes.

"We really need to think about how we can be more cautious," he said. "The public needs to question this too. The bad guys are taking advantage of home systems. Most people need to protect themselves better."
******************************
Los Angeles Times
Amazon Writes a Drama in Canada
Booksellers, usually protected from foreign rivals, are irked by lack of government action against U.S. e-tailer.
By David Streitfeld
Times Staff Writer
November 10 2002

VICTORIA, Canada -- It used to be easy to identify Canadians. They were quiet, law-abiding folks, partial to Wayne Gretzky's hockey, Margaret Atwood's novels and Leonard Cohen's music. They shopped at Hudson's Bay Co. stores and knew who the Canadian prime minister was. They had Canadian passports.

To keep Canadian culture as Canadian as possible, the government erected a multitude of barriers. One was that a non-Canadian couldn't own a book publisher or distributor. The fear was that an outsider would promote the novels of John Grisham, say, over domestic talent.

Jeff Bezos, founder and controlling shareholder of Web retailer Amazon.com, was born in New Mexico and lives in Seattle. Yet ever since he launched a Canadian Web site in June, he's been one of the biggest booksellers in Canada.

Canadian booksellers are annoyed with Bezos but furious with their government, which they say is treating the billionaire entrepreneur like a native. They want a federal court to restore those once-sharp distinctions between what is local and foreign.

"Amazon has the best of both worlds," said Dave Hill of Munro's Books, one of the most prominent independent stores in the country. "It has the benefits and the power of being a Canadian company without any of the responsibilities."

The cultural laws were drawn up before Internet retailing was even a notion.

"Technology has blurred the edges of commerce," lamented Hill. "How does one define Canadian in the Internet era?"

The Net long has been a modernizing force in developing as well as politically repressive countries. China is finding it impossible to control the Net and the news and ideas it brings. Artisans around the world use Web sites to sell directly to U.S. and European consumers.

In industrialized countries, the Net is having an equally pronounced but less noticed effect.

"It's an extraordinarily powerful weapon for breaking down national cultures," said Mel Hurtig, author of "The Vanishing Country: Is It Too Late to Save Canada?" "Canadians like Americans, but they don't want to become Americans."

With one-tenth the population of the United States, most of its citizens speaking English and living within 100 miles of the border, Canada has had to fight to maintain any sort of home-grown culture.

Over the last three decades, a variety of measures have been put in place to fund local artists and arts organizations, including publishers, and to keep the blockbusters from Hollywood and the bestsellers from New York from complete domination.

Canadian songs, for instance, are required to make up a minimum of 35% of radio stations' airplay each week. At least 60% of TV programming must be produced by Canadians. Foreigners cannot own more than 49% of a book publisher or distributor.

When the tools of cultural dispersal were physical, the laws did what they were intended to do. A plan by U.S. bookstore chain Borders Group Inc. to open a superstore in Toronto in 1996 was nixed by the government.

Even though the store's majority owners would have been Canadian, the government worried that Borders' computerized inventory system would give less exposure to "Canadian stories, Canadian books, Canadian authors," one government official said.

An attempt this year by a U.S. bookstore chain to open an outlet in the airport at Halifax, Nova Scotia, also foundered, booksellers here say.

What allowed Amazon to proceed was its virtuality. The company has no offices or employees in Canada. Warehousing and shipping are contracted out to a division of the Canadian postal service. The Web site, Amazon.ca, might appear Canadian, but it floats in the no man's land of cyberspace.

*

Passing Critical Tests

The Department of Canadian Heritage decided that Amazon was neither establishing a Canadian business nor acquiring control of an existing one -- the two triggers for review. The Web site literally was beyond the law.

"This was fairly black and white in our estimation," said Heritage spokesman Len Westerberg, although he acknowledged, "Maybe it's a little colorful for other people."

The Heritage ruling brought together two traditional foes: the Canadian Booksellers Assn., made up of 1,000 independent stores, and the country's sole bookselling chain, Indigo Books & Music Inc.

"We still don't hug," said CBA President Todd Anderson. "But in this case, we agree that the government isn't doing its job."

The CBA and Indigo have jointly filed suit in the Federal Court of Canada, seeking a declaration that Amazon has established a new business in Canada. If the booksellers pass that hurdle, the Department of Canadian Heritage would take up the issue of whether Jeff Bezos is Canadian.

"It's a cop-out to say Amazon isn't really in business in Canada," Anderson said. "They have inventory here. The government is going to have to stand up and put the big-boy pants on and decide whether this is good or bad."

Amazon officials say the Amazon.ca Web site, despite not being owned by Canadians, is one of the best things to happen to Canadian culture in a long time.

"What we're doing is helping Canadian publishers, Canadian authors, Canadian artists reach out not only to Canadians but all across the world because Amazon.ca will make Canadian products available to people all over the world," Bezos said in June. He declined to be interviewed for this story.

The biggest, most aggressive and most innovative e-commerce company, Amazon sees international expansion as a key to growth. It owns one of the two big online book sites in Britain and operates the other. Germany, Japan and France have their own Amazon Web sites.

In the year before Amazon.ca was started, the company says, 250,000 Canadian customers bought from the U.S. Web site. By providing direct access to Canadian material and eliminating customs delays, Amazon hopes to make deeper inroads into the $2-billion Canadian book market.

Although Amazon didn't break out Canadian sales in its recent third-quarter report, sales in the North American books, music and video division rose 17%. In earlier quarters, the unit's growth had been minimal.

Amazon is famous for having lost billions of dollars in its short life. It can't be recouping much of those losses in Canada, where it has been engaging in a price war with Chapters, the online division of the Indigo chain.

*

Feeling the Competition

At Bolen Books, a 27-year-old store in a Victoria shopping mall, customers have started coming in with computer printouts of pages from Amazon, asking whether Bolen will supply the same book at the same price. Amazon discounts can be as high as 40% on a few bestsellers, although many older titles aren't discounted.

"We try to explain that we don't match prices," said co-owner Samantha Holmes. "We try to tell them what we have to offer -- that we're a locally owned, family-run business. That we employ 60 people here, pay taxes here, give to their baseball teams, support their hospitals. Sometimes that convinces people."

But it doesn't convince all of them. Special orders at the store are down about 30% since Amazon.ca started.

"It's a real long-term business threat," Holmes said. "If we were going to expand our Web site, that's stifled."

The Web is a seductive place, where promises are easy to make but can be hard to fulfill. The hottest book in Canada at the moment is Yann Martel's "Life of Pi." Last month it won the Mann Booker Prize, the most prestigious literary award in the British commonwealth, affirming the vitality of Canadian writing. Bolen sold 144 copies in two days.

The publisher said it would be weeks before more were available. But Amazon was telling its customers it could ship in two to three days. Holmes ordered one, trying to determine whether the publisher was playing favorites.

After a week, Amazon sent her an e-mail saying it would be several weeks before copies came in. Meanwhile, Bolen's copies arrived early. It was a modest victory for physical stores.

"We're adaptable. We'll be OK," Holmes said. "But why after 27 years are we still fighting and fighting and fighting for our place? I suppose business just isn't fair."

If the booksellers lose their request for government review, they say, soon the cultural laws will be further eroded. Indigo is losing money, and there probably aren't many Canadian companies that would like to acquire it. A much better prospect to buy Indigo is the U.S. chain Barnes & Noble Inc., which would be able to argue that Amazon already was operating north of the border.

Pretty soon, said "Vanishing Country" author Hurtig, "someone will walk into a big Barnes & Noble in Toronto or Calgary and ask, 'What do you have on the history of our prime ministers?' And they'll be told, 'Would you be interested in a book on the great American presidents? How about something on how the Americans won the second world war single-handedly?' "

Hurtig, a former chairman of the Committee for an Independent Canada, thinks the battle to save the Canadian identity already has been lost. "Canada will become a northern Puerto Rico," he predicted.

Even those booksellers who aren't quite so pessimistic say they feel betrayed whenever they see a Canadian postal service delivery truck. The sides of the trucks display advertising for Amazon.

"The government has made these rules and laws that you have to buy Canadian, but on the other hand a government company is putting out that Americans are great," Holmes fumed. "It's incredible."

As for Amazon, the company is serene, confident of ultimate victory. Time is on its side, Amazon.ca General Manager Marven Krug said in a September interview with news agency Canadian Press.

The more time the matter spends in court, Krug said, the more customers Amazon will have a chance to acquire.

"I think it would be completely absurd at that point to try and shut us down," he said.
********************************
Federal Computer Week
GIS group advances info-sharing project
Open GIS Consortium, Census Bureau work on prototypes for sharing geospatial data
BY Brian Robinson
Nov. 11, 2002.

The Open GIS Consortium Inc. (OGC) this month expects to launch the next stage of an initiative to help federal, state and local governments share information about systems of vital interest to national security.

OGC expects to announce participants for the second phase of the pilot program of its Critical Infrastructure Protection Initiative (CIPI), with hopes of having systems to demonstrate by April.

Through CIPI, OGC is developing a network via which different jurisdictions can share geospatial information about power plants, telecommunications networks and other core systems.

The first CIPI phase, CIPI-1, began in October and is focused on creating an underlying system for CIPI applications, called the Critical Infrastructure Collaborative Environment.

CIPI-2, sponsored by the U.S. Census Bureau, will result in two prototype applications: WebBAS, an online Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS) that updates information on government boundaries collected from state, county and local governments; and a server solution for delivering Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing (TIGER) data via the Web for use by the public and organizations in compiling their own versions of maps.

The consortium has been encouraged by the response to a general call made several months ago for communities to participate in its programs, said Jeffrey Harrison, director of OGC's interoperability program.

"Communities showed us they were very excited with the idea of using open standards for information sharing and were ready to start collaborating with each other," he said. "We had a significant response from the technology development sector, with some very robust proposals put forward."

With the second phase of the program, OGC seeks to make existing information resources maintained by the federal government more readily available to state and local agencies.

BAS is currently a paper-based process that is highly labor-intensive, said Paul Daisey, an information technologist at the Census Bureau. WebBAS will save governments money and enable those that are too small to have their own dedicated geographic information system staff to update the information on the Web.

TIGER data, which is used to build maps, is currently delivered online, he said, but uses a proprietary format that has to be updated every few years, which is a cumbersome process. An OGC-compliant server solution will use open standards such as Geography Markup Language (GML).

CIPI-2 "is the only initiative we have going on now which is a departure from the way we have done things in the past," Daisey said. "The Office of Management and Budget has been after us for the last 10 years to automate these processes."

With the free flow of information among local, state and federal governments and the private sector seen as the underpinning of homeland security, OGC's efforts are being watched with interest, said David Sonnen, senior consultant for spatial data management at IDC.

Compatibility between different vendors' GIS tools will be vital for this, he said, as will the compatibility of the data they produce. Given the checkered history of other information technology standards programs, there is considerable skepticism about whether OGC will produce the necessary level of compatibility for what have, until now, been proprietary systems, Sonnen said.

The issues that OGC is tackling will show how GML and other GIS-specific geometry and text formats will manage that translation, he said, "and it's not a trivial thing to do."

Robinson is a freelance journalist based in Portland, Ore. He can be reached at hullite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

***

Starting one-stop access

The Open GIS Consortium Inc. has published a request for quotations for a joint pilot program with the Office of Management and Budget's Geospatial One-Stop initiative. The aim is to provide one-stop access to government geospatial data resources.

The pilot would build a Web portal and a two-state network to show how data from different communities which typically don't use the same models to construct and store data can be combined to provide a comprehensive transportation map.

Active server nodes hosted by California, Oregon, Oregon's Jackson County, and California's Siskiyou County will provide the transportation data.

If the prototype is successful, users will be able to view data and maps via the portal.
******************************
Federal Computer Week
National Archives and Records Administration seeks user input on data storage
BY Diane Frank
Nov. 11, 2002

The National Archives and Records Administration plans to involve users in developing the solution for storing electronic records, officials said Nov. 8.

The challenge is coming up with a format for an electronic record, such as a word processing document, that can be maintained once the original technology is no longer available.

NARA officials believe part of the solution is to store information in basic templates, which provide a standardized way of describing the context and presentation of a record, said Dan Jansen, a project manager for the Electronic Records Archive (ERA) program.

Although NARA will establish the basic template, agency officials plan to ask different user communities to help refine the template for particular kinds of records, Jansen said at an ERA conference.

Industry has taken a similar approach with Extensible Markup Language (XML), which is a standard for tagging information so it can be easily transmitted between systems.

Over the past several years, various communities of interest have developed special XML schemas for particular uses, such as e-commerce transactions and legal information.

The templates are part of NARA's efforts to develop solutions to ensure that archivists, agency records management officers and the general public can have access to the billions of electronic records agencies being moved to archives now, even as more are being generated.

"Electronic government is exploding, and electronic record keeping is not keeping up," Reynolds Cahoon, assistant archivist for human resources and information services and chief information officer at NARA, said at the ERA user conference. "We need to find a way to free electronic records from the hardware and software that created them."

NARA does not plan to issue a solicitation for the ERA solution until fiscal 2004, and does not expect the final solution to be available until fiscal 2007.
*****************************
Federal Computer Week
GAO: Agencies share data despite laws
BY William Matthews
Nov. 11, 2002

Technology is making it easier for government agencies to share information, so they are including details about your bank accounts, medical complaints and family lives.

Personal information from an electronic application for a student loan, for example, may be transmitted to 10 other government agencies and private entities such as consumer reporting agencies, schools and lawyers.

Financial details from a farm loan application sent to the Agriculture Department may be sent to other recipients.

And medical records of a government worker seeking compensation for a work-related injury or illness may end up in 18 other locations.

"The American public is increasingly concerned about protecting its privacy," said Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.).

A privacy study Lieberman ordered shows that government agencies are generally conscientious about following privacy laws, but it reveals the distances that personal information can travel once it is submitted to a federal agency.

Names and addresses may be checked against criminal databases at the Justice Department. Incomes and bank accounts may be compared to tax returns at the Internal Revenue Service. Personal information may be sent to courts, law enforcement agencies, even the U.S. Postal Service, according to a study by the General Accounting Office.

Personal data also may be sent to commercial collection agencies, financial consultants, health care providers, labor unions and parties involved in litigation.

The practice of sharing information widely increases the risk that information will be misused and privacy will be violated, Lieberman said Oct. 30 when the GAO report was released.
******************************
Federal Computer Week
Mitre: Open-source code rife at DOD
BY Dan Caterinicchia
Nov. 11, 2002

The use of open-source software within the Defense Department continues to gain momentum, especially in the critical area of cybersecurity, despite the fact that DOD and industry leaders have raised numerous concerns about vulnerabilities associated with the technology.

But what if open-source software applications and development were banned in DOD?

A recent study conducted by Mitre Corp. for DOD posed that hypothetical question and found that without open-source software, DOD's cybersecurity capabilities would be crippled and other areas would be severely impacted.

In open-source software, such as Linux, the source code is publicly available and gives users the right to use and change it without asking permission from any external group or person.

DOD officials asked Mitre to list the agency's open-source software applications and collect examples of how that software is being used.

A two-week e-mail survey identified 115 applications. The survey also found 251 examples of how the software is used, but the company acknowledged that actual use could be "tens of thousands of times larger than the number of examples identified."

The report, titled "Use of Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS) in the U.S. Department of Defense," was released last month to the Defense Information Systems Agency. The report found that open-source software is most important in infrastructure support, software development, security and research.

"The main conclusion of the analysis was that FOSS software plays a more critical role in the DOD than has generally been recognized," the report stated.

But the Mitre report is flawed because it is based on a question that assumes that open-source software would be banned within DOD, said Robert Kra.mer, vice president of public policy at the Computing Technology Industry Association Inc. and executive director of the Initiative for Software Choice (ISC).

"I know of no one who is saying that," Kramer said. "The ISC is not for that at all. The premise is unusual to say the least."

After receiving a working draft of the report in May, DISA solicited insights from DOD and the private sector, said Rob Walker, DISA's Net-Centric Enterprise Services program manager, in a presentation at an open-source conference in Washington, D.C., last month.

The comments collected raised three potential downsides to using open-source software:

n Exposure of system vulnerabilities.

n The introduction of Trojan software, which is hostile software covertly placed in ordinary applications.

n Conflicts with new software that incorporates "general public license" (GPL) source code. If personnel use GPL source code in the course of research and development, the entire product of that work is protected, whereas other open-source licenses are not as restrictive.

DOD officials' main concern is the licensing question, but "with reasonable care, GPL software can be used without disrupting other licenses," Walker said. He added that the introduction of unusually restrictive licenses, like some used by Microsoft Corp., "presents a more significant issue."

Open-source software is increasingly being used by government agencies, and the Mitre report proved that by saying there are thousands more applications within the Pentagon than were identified, Kramer said.

"Why do you need a policy to point to either [open-source or proprietary] software" when it is continuing to be competitive in the government marketplace? he asked.

DISA officials said that how much DOD uses open-source software in the future will largely depend on the results of the ongoing policy review.joint development Mitre Corp.'s report for the Defense Department recommended three policy-level actions to help promote use of open-source software in DOD:

n Create a "generally recognized as safe" open-source software list to provide official recognition of applications that are commercially supported, widely used and have proven track records of security and reliability.

n Develop generic policies to promote broader and more effective use of open-source software, and encourage the use of commercial products that work well with the software. A second layer of customized policies then should be created to deal with the four major use areas infrastructure, development, security and research.

n Encourage the use of open-source software to promote diversity in systems architecture, which would reduce the cost and security risks of being fully dependent on a single software product.Related links:
*****************************
Federal Computer Week
'Sensitive' classification still a sensitive issue
BY William Matthews
Nov. 11, 2002

Presidents from three government science academies have urged the Bush administration not to declare information "sensitive but unclassified" to withhold it from the public.

During the past year, dozens of federal agencies have adopted informal policies of restricting access to information they think could be helpful to terrorists planning future attacks against the United States. And since summer, the Office of Management and Budget has been considering whether to adopt a formal policy for withholding sensitive information.

The presidents of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering and the Institute of Medicine said withholding such information could "stifle scientific creativity" and weaken national security.

In a statement in mid-October, the three called "sensitive but unclassified" a "poorly defined" category that would "generate deep uncertainties" about what can and can't be published.

The presidents agreed that access to some information must be restricted "to safeguard strategic secrets." But they said openness remains essential for scientific progress and to enhance the public's understanding of potential threats.

They urged the Bush administration to stick with a policy the Reagan administration set at the height of the Cold War in 1985 that generally bans restrictions on the conduct or publishing of federally funded research not yet classified.

The National Academies had its own run-in recently with the Bush administration over publishing sensitive information. The Agriculture Department tried to suppress a National Academies research report on the vulnerability of U.S. agriculture to bioterrorism, said National Academies spokesman Bill Kearney.

Researchers found that harmful foreign pests and pathogens are "widely available and pose a major threat to U.S. agriculture" and that the department has failed to plan a defense against a biological attack. USDA officials wanted the unclassified report withheld.

"Their objection was that by saying this we are endangering national secu.rity," Kearney said. Even after the National Academies removed details from the report, USDA officials continued to object, leading some at the National Academies to believe the department really wanted to suppress the report's criticism, he said.

The National Academies published the report anyway. "We want scientists to be enlisted in the fight against terrorism. If secrecy wins the day, you won't get the full cooperation of scientists," Kearney said.

Some unclassified information clearly should not be available to the public, said Ari Schwartz, associate director of the Center for Democracy and Technology. A blueprint of a federal building is an example. Some blueprints used to be available on government Web sites, but they should not be, he said.

However, the National Academies bioterrorism report shows "there is also a legitimate concern that agencies will use new categories of information to withhold information that should be made public," Schwartz said.
******************************
Federal Computer Week
Privacy questions still loom over biometrics
BY Dibya Sarkar
Nov. 11, 2002

Biometric technologies have expanded greatly in the past decade, especially following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, but experts say there are few policies, procedures and laws regarding the collection of biometric identifiers, even as public policy debates have swelled over their use and potential to invade people's privacy.

SEARCH, the National Consortium for Justice Information and Statistics, held a two-day conference on legal and policy implications of biometric use in New York City Nov. 5-6, featuring law enforcement, government, industry, and privacy and civil liberties experts.

Biometric technologies have been around for some time, most notably fingerprinting. However, newer technologies, such as facial recognition and iris and retina scanning, are being considered more and more by many public- and private-sector organizations for verification of identification and authentication.

"What we see today are a lot of pilots, a lot of tests, a lot of demonstrations, and not a lot of deployments," said Robert Belair, SEARCH general counsel.

The events of Sept. 11, 2001, have spurred support for such technologies, said Rebecca Dornbusch, deputy director of the International Biometric Industry Association. However, the federal government's inability to pass this fiscal year's budget is hampering further deployments.

But not all biometric technologies are the same, officials said, and use should be considered carefully. Concerns include invasion of privacy, misuse of databases, surveillance and tracking of people, and the linking of databases to create, in essence, a national identification database, Belair said.

Barry Steinhardt, director of the Technology and Liberty Program for the American Civil Liberties Union, said his group supports the use of reliable biometrics to authenticate access to secure locations, DNA analysis of crime scene evidence and X-rays of air cargo and baggage.

When it comes to facial recognition where video cameras scan and capture a person's face and then software tries to match it against a database presumably composed of known criminals and/or terrorists the technology doesn't work, he said, citing uses in Tampa, Fla., and other places. Such "surreptitious surveillance" is a waste of law resources and will be misused, he said.

Wayne Crews, technology policy director at the Cato Institute, a libertarian, market-oriented think tank, said he's less worried about facial recognition as long as incidental data is thrown away or not collected in the first place.

Chris Hoofnagle, legislative council for the Electronic Privacy Information Center, said that industry, the public and the government must address questions of how vulnerable the data is to theft or abuse and limit its use to a certain purpose.

M. Paul Collier, executive director of the Biometric Foundation, a nonprofit group that focuses on research, education and standards, said successful implementation will occur when those installing the technology work to address the public's questions and concerns.
*****************************
Federal Computer Week
Public still unaware of biometrics
BY Dibya Sarkar
Nov. 11, 2002

Despite widespread media coverage of biometrics since last year's Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a new national survey shows that only half of the general public is aware of such technologies.

However, the survey also indicates that fighting terrorism and identity fraud are the "two strongest drivers" for supporting greater government and private-sector use of biometrics.

The public opinion poll was commissioned by SEARCH, the National Consortium for Justice Information and Statistics. The first poll was conducted Sept. 18-30, 2001, shortly after the terrorist attacks, and the second, Aug. 15-18, 2002.

Despite the public's lack of familiarity, personal experience with biometrics rose slightly from 3 percent in 2001 to 5 percent, representing 10 million people, in 2002, said Alan Westin, a retired Columbia University professor of public law and government who helped develop and oversee the poll. And although there were slight declines of acceptance during the year, public support of law enforcement using biometrics for anti-terrorism measures or crime prevention remained high 86 percent in 2001 and 80 percent in 2002.

The survey also reported strong public insistence that privacy safeguards be considered. Eighty percent of respondents in 2001 and 73 percent in 2002 believed that society will likely adopt such safeguards if and when biometric technologies are widely used, Westin said.
*****************************
Federal Computer Week
Agencies struggle with flood of homeland tech
Many companies not aware of federal buying process
BY Diane Frank
Nov. 11, 2002

Federal agencies are still sorting through the wide range of technologies that industry is hopes will meet the government's homeland security needs, according to officials at the Industry Advisory Council's (IAC) Executive Leadership Conference last week.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, companies already in the federal market and many more new to the market have been offering agencies solutions for everything from information sharing to biometrics. But while some agency officials have been able to organize those offerings for later review, most have found they do not have the time, resources or expertise to cull the most useful solutions.

At the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the response from industry was "a little overwhelming," said Rose Parkes, FEMA's chief information officer. Not all of the solutions fit immediate needs, but FEMA officials were concerned they might lose track of solutions that could fill future requirements.

The agency set up a database with all the information from vendor offerings, market research and responses to specific requests for information. When new requirements come up, officials first search the database to see if solutions have been offered that could fill the need.

"If the requirement is there and the information isn't, then there's no match," Parkes said.

FEMA is one of the 22 agencies and organizations designated to move to the proposed Homeland Security Department, and agency officials know that the information held in the database possibly could help others.

"As we move into the new department, we will absolutely share the information," Parkes said.

Officials involved in setting up the proposed department also recognize the need to work with industry to find useful solutions. "We need to provide some guidance and direction about where we need help," said Steve Cooper, senior director for information integration and CIO of the Office of Homeland Security.

Once Congress passes the bill to create the department, "we can pick up the pace [on that guidance] significantly," he said.

FEMA's database could also help the Office of Homeland Security evaluate solutions already in place at the state and local levels, Cooper said.

The database, however, does not solve a more complex problem that agencies are facing. Many, even those with comparatively large information technology budgets, do not have the ability to understand and evaluate "edge technologies," said Scott Hastings, CIO at the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

There has been talk about creating a center within government to evaluate new technologies, but officials also hope industry will help weed through ideas before they get to the agencies, Hastings said. For instance, established federal contractors, which have greater resources and expertise than most agencies, could sort through offerings from smaller or less experienced vendors, he said.

There is also the concern that in the flood of ideas, agencies might not be finding the more innovative solutions available because there are many companies that simply do not know how to work with government.

All too often a company pitches an idea without fully understanding the federal contracting process and expects that agency officials will be able to buy whatever product or solutions they deem interesting, Hastings said. Industry associations such as IAC, the Information Technology Association of America and AFCEA International Inc. also could play a role by finding and working with companies "out on the edge," he said. For example, the Defense Department last year received more than 12,000 proposals in response to its broad appeal for new technology ideas to combat terrorism. DOD was overwhelmed by the responses, and officials have been working to create a process that allows the department to deal with these requests in a more formal way.
******************************
Government Computer News
New York tries biometric kiosks for probationers

By Dipka Bhambhani
GCN Staff

Low-risk offenders on probation in New York City no longer have to check in monthly with their probation officers so long as at least one of their hands is on file. Kael Goodman, the Probation Department's assistant commissioner and CIO, has installed 14 biometric-enabled kiosks at offices in several boroughs where probationers can report their whereabouts and progress.

About 11,000 offenders are required to use the kiosks instead of making appointments to see an officer. Eliminating in-person appointments reduces human error and frees probation officers to deal with higher-risk criminals, Goodman said. Seventy-six percent of the criminals on probation in New York City are high-risk felons.

The kiosks connect directly to the department's Adult Restructuring Tracking System database. A subject places one hand on the hand-geometry reader, answers a few questions and leaves. The system automatically informs a designated officer if a probationer fails to report once a month.

Offenders initially have a photo and hand-geometry indicia recorded for the tracking database. "We know who our people are, we know where they live," Goodman said. "We've leveraged the best biometric technology we can find."

Hand-geometry readers might deny access if a subject is wearing jewelry, has longer fingernails or has changed body weight, he said. Goodman plans to add kiosks with voice-recognition technology, which tests voice stress and intonation as a backup identifier. Offenders could then call in their reports verbally. But voice technology is less reliable, he said, because it sometimes doesn't pick up varied speech patterns and accents correctly.
****************************
Government Computer News
Congress jumped the gun on biometrics, FBI official says
By Dipka Bhambhani
GCN Staff

The implementation of biometric technology became a hot topic when Congress passed the Patriot Act and Border Security Act last year after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, but the measures were premature, the FBI's acting deputy CIO said.

Both pieces of legislation appropriated funds for biometric systems, but the technology is not yet ready for widespread implementation, the FBI's Selena Hutchinson said this week at a conference in New York, Beyond the Technology: The Law and Policy Implications of Biometric Use.

And development of biometric systems will be slowed by other concerns, such as the potential war on Iraq, Hutchinson said.

Part of the government's vision for biometrics is linking subjects' biometric identifiers with information in databases at various agencies. Sharing that information, Hutchinson said, will require agencies to share the technologies they use.

"It's going to be incumbent on us to leverage from each other," she said.

The FBI's Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System is the closest thing to enterprise adoption of biometrics by the federal government, said Raj Nanavati, a partner in the International Biometric Group in New York, who also spoke at the conference.

Linda Phillips, director of technology consultant PNL Associates LLC of Falls Church, Va., said the government hasn't implemented any large-scale use of biometrics and probably won't barring another catastrophe similar to the terrorist attacks.

"It's going to take another crisis to use biometrics on any level," Phillips said.

While several speakers envisioned slow adoption of biometrics, Capt. Thomas Cowper of the New York State Police predicted significant progress in the near future . "We are on an exponential curve," he said of law enforcement use of biometrics.

Cowper said that in 10 to 12 years some police officers might wear biometric scanners while walking a beat, allowing them to determine the identities of suspects instantly while in the field.
******************************
Government Computer News
Northrop Grumman wins $228 million INS contract
By William Welsh
Washington Technology

The Immigration and Naturalization Service this week awarded a five-year, $228 million contract for IT services to Northrop Grumman Corp.

The contract, a blanket purchasing agreement, calls for Northrop Grumman Information Technology of Herndon, Va., to support the primary IT infrastructure and provide IT support services for more than 100 INS offices in the United States and at several overseas offices.

The agreement was awarded through the General Services Administration's Federal Technology Service on behalf of INS. It covers about 40,000 desktop PCs, servers and LANs supporting more than 1,400 sites.

The agreement is one of the company's largest contracts with the federal government, said Jim Perriello, president of government solutions for Northrop Grumman IT.

The company will provide a range of IT support services, including hardware maintenance; desktop and server management; asset management; infrastructure deployment; design, planning, installation and certification of the infrastructure cable plant; daily IT security operational support; and IT training. The company also will maintain ADP operations.
***************************
Government Executive
November 11, 2002
Skills gap shrinks between public, private tech workers
By Molly M. Peterson, National Journal's Technology Daily

Efforts to boost information technology training for government employees have helped narrow the skills gap between public- and private-sector IT workers, according to a recent study by Brainbench, an online skills-testing firm.

"Government IT workers are showing significant strengths in some important technology areasespecially the increasingly popular Unix [and] Linux arenas," said Mike Russiello, president and CEO of the Chantilly, Va.-based company.

The study compared the scores of more than 4,000 government employees and more than 7,000 private-sector workers who took Brainbench's IT skills tests online. The study analyzed the workers' test scores in eight major areas and found that government workers' scores surpassed those of private sector workers in three categories.

Government workers' average scores on tests of skills of the Unix and Linux operating systems were 3 percent higher than those of private-sector workers, according to the report, which was released Oct. 29. Government workers also scored 5 percent higher than private-sector workers on skills tests involving Microsoft technology administration and 8 percent higher on Microsoft applications tests.

Russiello said those scores indicate that a "historical skills gap" between government and private-sector IT workers has begun to close. "The increased attention that has been paid to this historical skills gap by such leading organizations as the federal government's Chief Information Officer's Council and the National Academy of Public Administration have played a role in helping to close this ... gap," he said.

But the study also found that private-sector workers outperformed government employees in five of the eight major tech categories. In tests of entry-level tech skills, private-sector workers' scores were 17 percent higher than those of public-sector workers. Private-sector workers also scored 17 percent higher than government workers on programming-language skills tests.

Private-sector employees also garnered higher scores than government workers on tests of networking skills, database skills and Internet skills.

Virginia Republican Tom Davis, who chairs the House Government Reform Technology and Procurement Policy Subcommittee, said his bill to create a "digital tech corps," H.R. 3925, which the House approved last April, would help further close the skills gaps.

"This study shows that our heightened efforts to offer better training and pay to government IT workers are beginning to pay dividends," Davis said recently. "But we still face severe challenges when it comes to recruiting and retaining top-notch IT specialists."
*********************************
Government Executive
November 8, 2002
Standards agency seeks input on computer security
From National Journal's Technology Daily

The National Institute for Standards is soliciting public comments on two of its draft reports concerning the security of federal technology systems.

The agency, which historically has published reference materials and guidance in the computer security, has prepared a draft report called Security Considerations in Federal Information Technology Procurements, which aims to provide broad resources to federal procurement officials to take into consideration when purchasing new equipment.

It also details security steps that must be integrated into procurement phases, including the mission and planning of purchases to the disposition and closeout of a contract. NIST's Guide to Selecting Information Technology Security Products details specific technologies to meet computer security needs.

The agency's staff will take the comments, which are due Monday, into consideration when formulating final reports, which come out sometime early next year.
Lillie Coney
Public Policy Coordinator
U.S. Association for Computing Machinery
Suite 510
2120 L Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20037
202-478-6124