Clips September 10, 2002

ARTICLES

Will Florida flub it again? Tuesday's primary in national spotlight [Election Reform]
INS to begin fingerprinting 'suspicious' tourists [Privacy]
LePore scrambles after 100 poll workers quit in Palm Beach County [Election Reform]
Administration Pares Cyber-Security Plan
War Room's Eyes Out for Terror [Linking Data]
Surveillance Society Don't look you're being watched [Privacy]
A Driver's License Debate in Calif
Americans favor homeland agency even as trust in government drops
Los Alamos lab creates homeland security office
IT watchfulness rises, but budgets limit change
All-in-one war-driving kit now available [Computer Security]
IT watchfulness rises, but budgets limit change
Corporate America now on front lines of war on terror
File-Sharing Networks Relying on VCR Ruling
Satellite Nets Used To Fight Terror
Microsoft says Win 2000 hacking outbreak subsides

**************************
Sun-Sntinel
Will Florida flub it again? Tuesday's primary in national spotlight
By William E. Gibson
Washington Bureau Chief
Posted September 9 2002

WASHINGTON -- For better or worse, Florida's performance at the polls on Tuesday will be held up to the nation as the leading test case for election reform.

Will this mean ridicule, recounts and confusion -- more fodder for talk-show comedians? Or will Florida's party primaries, carried out on the cutting edge of voting technology, show other states and federal officials how to conduct an election in the 21st century?

While political observers await the results of a suspenseful Democrat primary for governor, election reformers will be more interested in whether the state's new voting machines work without a hitch, whether new provisional balloting resolves voter-registration disputes, whether poll workers seem to know what they are doing and whether swarms of voters can operate new equipment for the first time.

Florida, in other words, will be the model or the goat of election reform.

The much-maligned Sunshine State, stung by the electoral debacle of 2000, has surged ahead with reforms and new equipment while other states and the federal government continue to dither. Congress appears on the verge of approving a federal election-reform package, complete with money for states, but it has missed its self-imposed deadline of putting national standards in place for this year's elections.

"Washington has benefited by watching states that have moved forward, for positive and negative lessons. Florida is a year or two ahead of other states in taking action and suffering the growing pains that go with it," said Doug Chapin, a former Senate counsel and now project director of Electionline.org, a nonpartisan research group that tracks election reform.

"This primary and the general election [in November] will show how effective reform has been," Chapin said. "If not a model, Florida is a window on the near- to mid-term future, giving other states and the federal government an idea of what elections will look like in 2003 and beyond."

Expect some problems, Chapin and other experts warned.

"When using new technology on a broad scale, you are going to see programming errors and misunderstandings in how it is tabulated," he said. "Any time there's lots of new technology, there is going to be a gap between how it is supposed to work and how it actually works on election night."

Cost of reform

Other states are waiting for the federal government to spell out guidelines and dispense millions of dollars to help pay the cost of reform. Many states, strapped by budget deficits, simply don't have the resources to transform their voting systems without federal help.

The House and Senate have each passed election-reform bills, and both versions would send money to states that upgrade their systems, expand voter education and improve poll-worker training any time after 2000. Rep. Jim Davis, D-Tampa, injected language in the House bill to ensure the money can be applied retroactively so that Florida will get funds for reforms already in the works.

But many states are waiting to see whether the House and Senate can resolve their remaining differences -- mainly over how to enforce national guidelines -- before taking up state reforms. Those negotiating the federal legislation appear to be headed for a bottom line of about $3.5 billion over three years for election reform.

President Bush, meanwhile, vetoed a supplemental spending bill for this fiscal year that contained $400 million for states as a down payment on election reform. While vetoing that bill for other reasons, Bush has indicated he would support the pending reform bill.

"I am terribly disappointed in the failure to get this law passed sooner," Rep. Davis, one of the negotiators, said last week. "I think Congress is getting close. There is bipartisan support for election reform."

Florida moves ahead

While Congress debated, the Florida Legislature approved a reform package last year to replace the notorious punch-card machines of 2000 with touch-screen or optical-scan devices. The state also will experiment with a "provisional ballot." That will allow a voter whose registration is questioned to go ahead and cast a ballot, which then would be counted once eligibility is established.

"My attitude has always been: `I wouldn't wait on them [federal legislators]. Florida is a big sophisticated state. We had better go ahead and fix our thing as best as a possible,'" Florida Secretary of State Jim Smith said last week.

"It's ridiculous that we are in the 2002 primary season and the feds are still screwing around," Smith said. "Many states don't have resources like Florida. For them, it's extremely difficult."

Florida officials remain concerned about getting voters acquainted with unaccustomed machinery and making sure they are situated in their proper polling places, especially after congressional and legislative districts were redrawn.

Already problems have flared in South Florida. Thousands of Broward County residents received two sets of voting cards in the past week, telling them to vote in two separate locations. Officials in Boward and Palm Beach counties also have had to struggle to find enough poll workers.

State officials have prepared public-service announcements warning voters that their polling places may have changed, while encouraging them to check out the new equipment before election day. And they are urging people to vote early in the days leading up to the primary -- in essence casting an absentee ballots -- to diminish the crush of voters on election day.

"I'm not guaranteeing a perfect election," Smith said. "We've done about the best we can. I do think Florida now is truly a model that other states should follow."

William E. Gibson can be reached at wgibson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or 202-824-8256 in Washington.
**************************
Sun-Sentinel
INS to begin fingerprinting 'suspicious' tourists
By Susan Sachs
The New York Times
Posted September 9 2002

Immigration agents at the nation's border crossings, airports and seaports will begin this week to fingerprint foreigners they suspect may pose security risks and will require those visitors regularly to report where they are staying and what they are doing in the United States.

The new procedures, intended to improve the monitoring of certain foreigners, will apply to anyone arriving with a student, business or tourist visa and who is thought to fit the criteria of a potential terrorist.

Justice Department officials said they would not disclose the criteria that the agents would use in determining who will be required to submit to fingerprinting, as well as photographing, for fear of jeopardizing intelligence-gathering.

Still, the widespread assumption among civil liberties groups and Muslim Americans is that visitors from Arab and Islamic nations will receive the closest scrutiny. Arab nations have drawn the same conclusion and the 22-member Arab League has denounced the new effort as discriminatory.

The new measures are supposed to go into effect on a trial basis at some ports of entry on Wednesday and to be in operation at all border crossings by Oct. 1. The Justice Department would not identify the ports that will start the monitoring this week.

Many Muslim visa applicants already are singled out for additional investigation before they leave home. In line with a post-Sept. 11 rule, applicants from 26 countries, a list that is dominated by Islamic nations, must be cleared by the FBI before their requests are reviewed at U.S. consulates. That policy, put into place two months after the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington last year, affects men between the ages of 26 and 45.

A spokesman for the Justice Department, Jorge Martínez said fingerprints and photographs automatically would be taken of any citizen of Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan and Libya.
***************************
LePore scrambles after 100 poll workers quit in Palm Beach County
By KATHY BUSHOUSE
Posted September 9 2002, 11:25 AM EDT

Roughly 100 Palm Beach County elections poll workers quit the weekend before Tuesday's primary election, leaving county elections officials scrambling to find replacements.

County elections supervisor Theresa LePore said the poll workers quit because they didn't like their new precinct locations. Many of the county's polling places changed after the state went through its mandatory, once-every-decade reapportionment of voting districts.

Even though LePore said it was explained to the poll workers during eight hours of training and orientation classes that their poll locations could change this year, many decided to simply quit.

"It's just mind-boggling," LePore said.

Some called and faxed to let the elections office know they wouldn't show up Tuesday. Others didn't leave their names, phone numbers or even their polling places they just called and left messages on the elections office voice mail, LePore said.

"We've been on the phone literally all weekend, calling people that we've got on our list," LePore said. "We've used up our contingency list, calling others to see if they'll work."

LePore said they're talking with the county's school district about using substitute teachers as poll workers. She is also coordinating with the county government to put 50 county employees through poll worker training today, so those people can be used as back-up.

"We'll use them one way or the other," LePore said. "We're just afraid people are not going to show up in the morning."

Polls open at 7 Tuesday morning and close at 7 in the evening.
********************************
Washington Post
Administration Pares Cyber-Security Plan
Firms Fight Some Recommendations

By Ariana Eunjung Cha
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 10, 2002; Page A04

As the White House moves to finalize a national plan to better secure cyberspace, high-tech firms and other companies are continuing a furious campaign to have some recommendations struck from the document.

The administration no longer plans to recommend that Internet service providers such as America Online, MSN and EarthLink bundle firewall and other security technology with their software. Instead, it will ask ISPs to "make it easier" for home users to get access to such protections.

It also does not plan to recommend that a privacy czar be appointed to oversee how companies make use of their customers' personal information, according to several people involved in drafting the document.

A government official said the changes were made in hopes the plan would be adopted voluntarily by industry and not necessitate another layer of government regulation.

Several companies have argued that if the government tells people what to buy and dictates how they should run their businesses, innovation will be squelched. But others said private industry was more concerned about the costs involved in carrying out the recommendations. Businesses also worry about taking on new legal liability.

"I've been really shocked at how companies have been acting in their own interest rather than in the national interest," said Allan Paller, director of the SANS Institute, a computer-security think tank and education center.

Harris Miller, president of the Information Technology Association of America, which represents 500 companies, said the private sector is in no way trying to dilute the plan. It was the industry, in fact, that first suggested a plan be developed, he said.

"The idea that industry is somehow a reluctant partner is inaccurate," Miller said.

At about 150 pages, the National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace, which is scheduled to be released Sept. 18, remains a weighty document outlining about 80 new obligations for the government, companies, universities and even home computer users.

The most extensive recommendations are for the government. The plan would restrict federal workers from using certain wireless technologies and mandate that agencies only purchase software that has been certified to be secure.

One of the top priorities, according to one draft, is for the government and the private sector is to make sure computers that control major systems such as subways, nuclear reactors and dams are secure.

Also under consideration are recommendations calling for the establishment of a center that would study computer viruses, worms and other security threats; an accreditation board that would certify security personnel; and a private-public program that would help pay for security enhancements for critical parts of the Internet, including the routers that direct traffic, as well as operating systems such as Windows, Linux and the Mac OS.

Some drafts also outline plans for the collection and analysis of network data that pass through universities -- places often used as jumping-off points for cyber-attacks. The draft also includes a plan to educate home users on how to secure their computers.

The national strategy is being compiled and analyzed by Richard A. Clarke, director of the Office of Cyberspace Security, with input from a cross section of industry representatives, computer science experts and others.

It is scheduled to be delivered to President Bush for his signature in the next week.
***************************
Washington Post
War Room's Eyes Out for Terror
Safety: Data center links the intelligence gathering of police agencies statewide.
By WILLIAM OVEREND
TIMES STAFF WRITER
September 10 2002

Hidden away in an industrial park in the City of Commerce is the California Anti-Terrorism Information Center for Los Angeles County. The sign near the entrance says it all: "War Room."

Inside, on the walls, are four large screens, pinpointing major law enforcement operations in progress. On a busy day, about a dozen computer operators are needed to track it all.

This isn't something out of a Tom Clancy book, where high-level officials watch secret operations as they unfold via satellite feed. At least not yet. The technology is limited: the computers, a couple of TVs, the large locator screens.

But officials say this is a crucial part of California's post-9/11 anti-terror network, intended to link 100,000 law enforcement officers around the state. If a terrorist network in California is ever to be found, state officials think the break might come at this grass-roots level. And the California Anti-Terrorism Information Center, or CATIC, could provide intelligence that paves the way.

"It's probably the one element in the whole anti-terror structure that's going to give us the one nugget we need someday, that final piece of the puzzle," said George Vinson, chief anti-terror advisor to Gov. Gray Davis. "That's because the information coming into CATIC is coming from street cops who are out there. While the FBI may end up putting 80% of the puzzle together with the high-level intelligence it gathers, I think it's going to ultimately come down to the cop on the street who notices something strange one day."

In addition to the Los Angeles County center, there are now special state Department of Justice task force operations scattered throughout the state. There is another room like this in Sacramento, and there are offices in Fresno, Orange, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose and Shasta counties.

The California Anti-Terrorism Information Center system is one of three components in the state's homeland defense network, Vinson said.

At the highest level are Joint Terrorism Task Forces run by the FBI, involving the CIA and all major urban police agencies. Those groups are deluged daily with secret global, national and local intelligence.

Then come regional response teams known as Terrorist Early Warning Groups, often headed by local sheriffs. These are assigned the job of coordinating the immediate response to any terrorist incident.

"We become the intelligence arm at the street level for everybody else," said Ed Manavian, chief of the criminal intelligence bureau for the state Department of Justice. "We work anything, and once we find something we pass it along."

The California Anti-Terrorism Information Center links them all. Right after Sept. 11, state Atty. Gen. Bill Lockyer gave Manavian responsibility for putting the center together. To move fast, he borrowed from existing law enforcement systems whenever possible.

Area police chiefs already had a drug-tracking system available through the Los Angeles County Regional Criminal Information Clearinghouse, and the California Anti-Terrorism Information Center was allowed to share one of its rooms in the City of Commerce.

On any given day, symbols flashing on the room's large screens show hundreds of drug raids and stakeouts in progress just in the Los Angeles County area. The screens might locate one or two anti-terrorist investigations. Officials expect it will pretty much stay that way.

Manavian sees drug dealing and terrorism as a natural pairing. He believes that Al Qaeda terrorists entering California would have to, at some point, hook up with local drug dealers linked to the Middle East or possibly to East European crime groups that would have the kind of money needed to help hide and protect the terrorists.

At the moment, a particular interest is the Middle Eastern dominance in the smuggling of pseudoephedrine, a main ingredient of methamphetamine, into the United States from Canada, where it is not illegal.

A couple of major busts in that area could help produce an important informant or two down the line, Manavian said. That's often how secret organizations are ultimately penetrated.

Meanwhile, a major preoccupation for Manavian and other top state and federal anti-terror officials is keeping communication lines open and avoiding the kind of turf problems that arise frequently among rival law enforcement agencies.

At all levels, officials say, there has been so much intelligence to process this year that they have suffered from information overload at times. But they are still at a stage where almost all tips must be checked. A major goal for this year is improving analysis capabilities.

"It's as important that we get our information out as it is for them to get their information to us," said FBI Assistant Director Ron Iden, head of the Los Angeles division.

"When anything strikes me as potentially important, I'm on the phone personally to the top people in the LAPD and the Orange County and Los Angeles [County] sheriff's departments. We all have to share on this one."

Still, at least some of the top-secret information received by the FBI can be passed along only in general form for reasons of national security.

That was one reason for another decision made by Manavian and top officials immediately after Sept. 11: They refused to accept any information that could not also be legally passed on to the public.

"We don't want people in the dark," said Vinson, the governor's chief anti-terrorism advisor. "If there is a threat anywhere, law enforcement will know about it. We will give it to them if they ask or not."
*******************************
San Francisco Chronicle
Surveillance Society Don't look you're being watched

These days, if you feel like somebody's watching you, you might be right.

One year after the Sept. 11 attacks, security experts and privacy advocates say there has been a surge in the number of video cameras installed around the country. The electronic eyes keep an unwavering gaze on everything from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Washington Monument.

And biometric facial recognition technology is being tested with video surveillance systems in a handful of places such as the Fresno airport and the resort area of Virginia Beach, Va.

"Our business is booming," said Ron Cadle, an executive with Pelco, the Fresno-area firm that is the biggest supplier of video security equipment.

"Since the terrorist attacks, people are not only using video surveillance to protect their property and inventory," Cadle said. For example, "a lot of people are now using video to make sure someone who walks into a department store isn't a known terrorist or felon."

Privacy rights advocates say that the increase in video surveillance has not turned the United States into a "Big Brother state" yet, but they fear Sept. 11 has opened the door to creating a "surveillance society."

"It definitely could become widespread," said Jay Stanley of the American Civil Liberties Union. "Everybody's using the threat of terrorism to justify a lot of things that don't have a lot to do with terrorism."

Video surveillance cameras began appearing in banks and other commercial buildings in the 1960s, but began to proliferate in the last decade as digital technology produced cameras with higher resolution at cheaper prices.

Even before Sept. 11, the security industry conservatively estimated that there were more than 2 million surveillance cameras in the United States, and video equipment purchases made up the biggest slice of a $40 billion-a-year industry.

Although there are no current estimates, a group of anti-surveillance activists who have mapped the location of cameras in Manhattan since 1998 say they've seen a 40 percent increase in new cameras in New York's financial district since last September.

The terrorist attacks have led to a "rapidly expanding use" of closed- circuit video cameras and related technology, according to a March 2002 report by the research bureau of the California State Library.

And studies show that a majority of people support the expanded use of video surveillance of public areas and of facial recognition technology to pick out suspected terrorists, said Marcus Nieto, the report's co-author. Nieto has been monitoring video surveillance since 1997, the year public opposition forced the Oakland City Council to withdraw its plans to set up a video surveillance system.

"Before 9/11, cameras were something people didn't give much thought about, " he said. "Post 9/11, people are more accepting of cameras. There used to be vocal opposition. It's now passive."

Potential terrorist targets such as bridges and airports are beefing up video security. Oakland International Airport, for example, has already begun replacing 60 older surveillance cameras with higher-resolution digital color cameras, new color monitors and digital video recorders.

Earlier this year, Washington officials activated a state-of-the art command center that can monitor 12 cameras throughout the Capitol Mall area and has the capability to tap a network of other video surveillance cameras throughout the city.

The ACLU and EPIC, the Electronic Privacy Information Center, argue that the system can be used to infringe on citizens' rights and are pushing for regulations and public oversight of its use.

"It's open-ended surveillance," said EPIC President Marc Rotenberg. "It's the digital electronic equivalent of allowing police to go through your home without a warrant."

Stanley, public education coordinator of the ACLU's newly-created Technology and Liberty program, said numerous studies have documented the misuse of surveillance video.

The studies found that minorities were more likely to be targets of video surveillance and that one in 10 women were targeted by the predominantly male security monitors for "voyeuristic reasons," he said.

Technology now being developed will make video surveillance equipment even more powerful. High-definition television, or HDTV, equipment makes it possible for surveillance cameras to capture an image of a person 3,000 feet away with as much detail as one taken by an older analog camera at 30 feet, said John Burwell, an executive with SGI.

The Mountain View firm known for high-tech computer graphics developed an HDTV surveillance system with the Naval Research Laboratory that gives equally high resolution.

"If you watch 'America's Most Wanted,' you get clips of (surveillance) video that are fuzzy," said Burwell, SGI's senior director for government and industry. With HDTV, "you can get crystal clear data," he said

And a small Reston, Va., firm called ObjectVideo has created "video content analysis" technology that can, for example, automatically alert security officials whenever a surveillance camera detects a truck that has moved into an unauthorized area.

"There are increasingly more cameras being installed and fewer people to watch them," said John Clark, an ObjectVideo vice president. "The ratio of security video feeds to eyeballs is going the wrong way."

But the most controversial video surveillance technology has been biometric facial recognition, which can identify individuals using the unique distances between specific points on a person's face. Critics maintain the technology is inaccurate and intrusive.

So far, facial recognition systems from makers such as Identix Inc. and Imagis Technologies Inc. have only been installed in a handful of systems, mainly for test purposes.

For example, passengers moving through the security checkpoint at Fresno Yosemite International Airport are scanned by a system called PelcoMatch, which uses Pelco's cameras and Identix's Visionics facial identification technology.

Facial scanning is voluntary for the passengers, who still pass through metal detectors and undergo other security checks.

"We're trying to get testing done and get the Transportation Security Administration to buy into it," said Cadle, the PelcoMatch project leader. "Then every airport in the U.S. will have it."

And this past weekend, police in Virginia Beach, Va., began formally using a Visionics system that's plugged into a 10-camera surveillance network that has been used since 1993. Police use the cameras to control traffic and crime in a 42-block area filled with hotels, restaurants and bars.

Police added three of Pelco's most advanced digital cameras to help scan a database of 2,500 people wanted on various warrants, said Deputy Chief Greg Mullen.

In preliminary tests, the system correctly identified nearly nine of 10 people, Mullen said. Mullen said citizen groups like the NAACP and local Hispanic and Filipino organizations are part of the design and oversight of the system.

"We know it's not going to be perfect," Mullen said. "But from my perspective, if I'm looking for a criminal or looking for a runaway or missing child, I'd rather have a seven- or eight-out-of-ten chance of finding that person than a zero-out-of-ten chance."

E-mail Benny Evangelista at bevangelista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*****************************
Washington Post
A Driver's License Debate in Calif.
Controversial Legislation Would Let Undocumented Workers Apply for Permits
By William Booth
Tuesday, September 10, 2002; Page A03

LOS ANGELES -- Ramon Hernandez waited patiently for his bus and contemplated the question. "A driver's license," said the janitor from Mexico, "makes everything better."

Naturally, he would covet one, even though he does not own a car or drive. But Hernandez shrugs. Like millions of his countrymen, he is in the country illegally.

For the past several years, advocates have been waging a campaign in state legislatures to allow undocumented immigrants to obtain a driver's license -- the ubiquitous piece of plastic infinitely useful for life's transactions and proof of legitimate residency. But any progress they were making ended on Sept. 11.

Now the California Legislature has sent to Gov. Gray Davis (D) a hotly debated measure that would make it easier for as many 1 million undocumented immigrants to get a state driver's license.

Proponents say that making a driver's license available to undocumented immigrants simply acknowledges reality -- that there are millions of such people living and working in America -- while making the roads safer by ensuring more drivers are properly licensed, tested and insured.

"It's good public policy," said state assembly member Gil Cedillo, a Democrat from Los Angeles who sponsored the legislation. "When you're involved in an auto accident, nobody is going to ask for your immigration status. They want to see your driver's license and insurance."

The governor, however, is under pressure not to sign the bill. Initially, Davis threatened a veto, but Cedillo and state Senator Richard Polanco (D) added provisions to require that undocumented immigrants who seek licenses undergo criminal background checks and fingerprinting.

Also, the pending law requires applicants to have lived in the United States for 15 months of the past three years, and they must show that they have sent paperwork to the Immigration and Naturalization Service applying for legal residency.

The measure still faces opposition from critics who say it rewards people who entered the United States illegally or have overstayed their visas.

"They broke the law to come here, and so they are not entitled to drive," said Dan Stein, executive director of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, which advocates tougher controls against illegal entry and work in the United States.

"A license just allows them to stay longer," Stein said, "whether or not they sent some piece of paper into the INS." Stein also warned: "This represents a massive security breach."

Issuing a driver's license is a matter left to the states, though many require applicants to have a Social Security number, which means they are either citizens or possess work papers. There is, however, a thriving industry churning out bogus Social Security cards and numbers.

Congress has taken an interest after it was discovered that at least four of the 19 hijackers on Sept. 11 held Virginia driver's licenses, which eased their travel around the United States. There are proposals to set federal standards for the kinds of documents and background checks required for a license.

The California measure is indeed moving against a tide of tighter restrictions.

Following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, 21 states enacted new regulations to make it harder to get licenses, and legislation has been introduced in another 22 states, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

The laws are designed to allow states to more thoroughly check the backgrounds of applicants, and to make it harder to counterfeit licenses.

Michele Waslin, a senior immigration policy analyst at National Council of La Raza in Washington, a Hispanic advocacy group, said that when she travels around the country, the desire for a driver's license "is one of the biggest issues in the Latino immigrant community. This is really very important to people."

But, Waslin said, "We've seen a lot of trouble since Sept. 11. We've had some very hard-fought battles."

Just as discussion of offering "amnesty" to undocumented workers came to an abrupt halt, despite high-level support from Mexican President Vicente Fox and his friend President Bush, the ground has shifted too on the license debate.

Waslin said 61 bills were introduced in state legislatures in the last year that dealt with immigrants and licenses, and 46 of those attempted to restrict privileges. Only seven measures passed, she said, though many states tightened their laws by executive order or agency regulations.

Virginia has tightened its procedures and no longer accepts sworn affidavits from individuals as proof of residency. In addition, a new Virginia law requires its motor vehicle department to develop procedures to check noncitizen applicants for driver's licenses with federal law enforcement agencies.

Other states have enacted or considered laws to that would tie immigrants' driver's license expiration dates to their INS documents, meaning that when a visa or an extension to remain in the country ends, so would the license.

Cedillo of the California Assembly says he understands the need for heightened security, but he feels the more restrictive laws are disproportionately targeting the ordinary immigrant, undocumented or not. "Getting a driver's license is to ensure safe highways," he said. "Immigration is a whole different topic."
**************************
Government Executive
Americans favor homeland agency even as trust in government drops
By Tom Shoop
tshoop@xxxxxxxxxxx

While Americans' overall trust in government has fallen from the very high levels reported after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, they still favor creation of a new Cabinet-level Department of Homeland Security to prevent future attacks.

In a CNN/Gallup/USA Today poll conducted last week, 60 percent of respondents said Congress should pass legislation to create the new department. Just 29 percent opposed the idea.

Eighty percent of the respondents said they had a "fair amount" or a "great deal" of confidence that the federal government can protect citizens from future attacks.

But only 46 percent said they trust the government in Washington to do what is right "just about always" or "most of the time." Fifty-four percent said they trusted government "only some of the time" or "never."

Surveys conducted shortly after Sept. 11 by the Gallup Organization and the University of Michigan showed that 60 percent of Americans said they trusted government to do what is right "just about always" or most of the time," compared to just 39 percent who indicated a low level of trust.

Those numbers were nearly reversed from polls taken prior to the attacks, and showed the highest level of support for the federal government since before the Watergate scandal.
**************************
Reuters
Manila Cracks Phone Hacking Ring
Mon Sep 9, 7:18 AM ET

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines said Monday it had cracked a $1.9 million computer hacking ring that had gained access to telephone company lines and sold off cheap phone calls.

President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo ( news - web sites), to show she is tough on crime, paraded three arrested men, including two Jordanian brothers, before the media at the national police headquarters in Manila.

The arrests were made under the Philippines' E-Commerce Law enacted after a Filipino allegedly released the so-called "Love Bug" computer virus in 2000.

That virus caused damage estimated at $10 billion as it shut down computer systems throughout the world, including at the Pentagon ( news - web sites) and the British Parliament, but the Philippines had no computer crime law under which it could make an arrest.

The hacking ring was cracked after the country's main phone company, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co, asked for help to stop the scam, police said.

The hackers tapped into computers controlling long-distance phone calls, then sold calls to their clients at prices around half the normal rate.

Immigration officials said two of those arrested were Jordanians and the third was a Filipino. The ring had amassed about $1.9 million from their hacking operations since last year.

If convicted, those arrested face up to six years in jail and a fine of up to $1,923 each.

Arroyo has been leading a high-profile anti-crime campaign that has seen her regularly appear in newspaper photographs with arrested suspects.
*************************
Government Executive
Los Alamos lab creates homeland security office
From Global Security Newswire

Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico has created an internal Homeland Security Organization to better coordinate the facility's counter-terrorism research, the laboratory announced last week.

"This new organization will allow us to better focus longstanding efforts toward evolving national needs," said Don Cobb, the laboratory's associate director for threat reduction.

Also on Thursday, Los Alamos officials demonstrated current and developing technologies for use in the war on terrorism, the Albuquerque Journal reported. One of the technologies on display was a self-evolving computer program called GENIE. The program can tailor itself to examine a wide array of sources for information.

"The computer learns to how to find what you want," said Steven Brumby, a Los Alamos scientist working on GENIE. "It's kind of freaky technology. A lot of people think it sounds too much like science fiction."

GENIE, which stands for Genetic Imagery Exploitation, was first used to track the path of a wildfire in Los Alamos in 2000, according to the Journal. The program could be used to scan luggage for weapons and to alert security officials to potential threats, Brumby said.
********************************
Computerworld
IT watchfulness rises, but budgets limit change
By MARK HALL
SEPTEMBER 09, 2002

Though IT professionals are now alert to the threat of terrorism, that threat generally hasn't pushed IT organizations to radically revamp their business continuity or data security plans, according to the results of an exclusive Computerworld online survey.

"I worry more about the Russians and script kiddies than al-Qaeda," said Alan Weber, senior systems analyst at Austin, Texas-based DS Associates, which manages human resources data for other firms.

His remarks reflect the findings of an online poll conducted the last week of August by 2,620 IT professionals, barely half of whom said their organizations have launched projects to improve data security in response to the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon a year ago this week.

Many users said their existing plans to protect their IT assets are adequate. "If you're already connected to the Internet, you already have a security issue, and 9/11 should not have made a difference," Weber said.

He added that his company had disaster preparedness and recovery plans in place already because of the threat of tornados and fire, "where the odds of them happening are far higher."

Jim Prevo, CIO at Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. in Waterbury, Vt., said that his company is simply continuing with the disaster preparedness plan it had in place before Sept. 11.

Like most companies in the survey, Green Mountain didn't boost spending to take on new projects for business continuity and security, because funding for those areas is already addressed in the budget process. The installation of a new firewall was in the budget before last September, Prevo said.

Standard Reponse

Mark Shainman, an analyst at Meta Group Inc. in Stamford, Conn., said he isn't surprised by the survey's findings.

"Initially, there was a great fervor about security and business [continuity]," he said. But with IT budget constraints and existing protections in place, most companies left things alone, Shainman said.

"Everyone agrees it's a big issue," said David Nessl, a senior systems administrator at American Systems Consulting Inc. in Dublin, Ohio. "But there's no budget for it, and you still have to deal with it."

Nessl said his department is now taking "snapshots of the data twice a day to make sure we're no more than a half-day out of sync." The company also used previously budgeted dollars to buy mass storage technology from EMC Corp. that can mirror data to a remote site.

Still, many firms did take the 9/11 tragedy as a wake-up call to improve data security.

At Stanley Aviation Corp. in Denver, MIS director David Edwards said backup was the company's only disaster recovery plan before 9/11. Stanley Aviation is working out plans with a sister company to use each other's data centers for business continuity operations, he said, and it has added a hardware firewall and new proxy servers to improve security.

Some firms even changed their management structures in response to the attacks. Charlie Orndorff, CIO at Crossmark Inc. in Plano, Texas, said that although his overall budget hasn't increased, there has been a shift in priorities. "Most significant is the creation of a new position for manager of infrastructure security," he said. He added that while the company had already been evaluating a 72-hour business continuity program with Wayne, Pa.-based SunGard Data Systems Inc., "Sept. 11 expedited the process."

In some markets, the shift has been dramatic. According to John Hall, president of call center designer Televerity LLC in Indianapolis, his clients are now demanding business continuity options.

"Disaster recovery is now 40% of our revenues," he said. "Last year, it was zero."

Computerworld's survey was conducted in collaboration with Perseus Development Corp., a market research firm in Braintree, Mass. (www.perseus.com).
****************************
Computerworld
All-in-one war-driving kit now available
By BOB BREWIN
SEPTEMBER 09, 2002

A Chester, N.J.-based start-up has introduced an all-in-one war-driving kit designed to help even the technology-challenged sniff wireless LANs.
Airtouch Networks Inc. has developed war-driving kits that make it easy for inexperienced "sniffers," or even companies, to look for wireless networks, according to Umut Bitlisli, a consultant for the company.

Airtouch has bundled a wireless LAN network interface card and a high-gain antenna -- which users previously had to buy separately -- into a kit that also includes pointers to NetStumbler freeware and 30 days of technical support, Bitlisli said.

The company now offers two kits: a $299 "war-walking" model, which features a wand-type antenna and network interface card, and a $399 kit that offers the same card as well as a roof-mount magnetic antenna for a car or truck.

When asked if Airtouch has any ethical qualms about encouraging people to sniff someone else's network, Bitlisli pointed out that war driving is legal and that the products also have other legitimate uses, including locating wireless LAN freenets and allowing companies to conduct enterprise wireless LAN site surveys.
************************
Computerworld
Corporate America now on front lines of war on terror
By DAN VERTON
SEPTEMBER 09, 2002

A year ago this week, America was attacked by a global enemy that has demonstrated its determination to use any means at its disposal to wreak havoc and fear, damage the economy and compel the nation to withdraw from the international community (see story).

In that regard, Sept. 11, 2001, will be remembered as a colossal failure for international terrorism, say government and private-sector security experts.

Rather than leaving the country in a state of stunned inaction, the attacks triggered what many security experts say was long overdue: a nationwide effort to bolster homeland security and critical infrastructure protectiona concept that has placed private companies on the front lines of national defense.

"It's never been done before," said Steve Cooper, CIO at the White House's Office of Homeland Security, referring to the massive integration effort now under way to help improve security information sharing among government agencies and the hundreds of private companies that own and operate 90% of the nation's critical systems. "We must do it, and we can do it," said Cooper, speaking Aug. 19 at a government symposium on homeland security.

Perception Game

However, proponents of critical-infrastructure protection, particularly in the area of cybersecurity, face many of the same challenges that terrorism experts encountered prior to Sept. 11: Few in the private sector perceive that there's an imminent threat to the digital homeland, and fewer still acknowledge terrorists' ability to and willingness to adapt their tactics to take advantage of America's digital Achilles' heelits information networks.

Every so-called critical infrastructure in the U.S., from telecommunications to transportation, banking and energy, relies on computers and computer networks, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice said in March last year during her first major policy address on the topic (see story).

"Corrupt those networks, and you disrupt this nation," she said. "Today, the cybereconomy is the economy."

"The terrorists in the Sept. 11 event had the patience to plan [and] the foresight and the understanding of the infrastructure that could be used to simultaneously or sequentially disrupt the infrastructure electronically," said Paula Scalingi, former director of critical infrastructure protection at the U.S. Department of Energy. "That could cause a major regional failure in this country. There's no question that that's doable."

Game of Dominoes

The reality of the threat to the nation's critical infrastructure, particularly in the areas of power, telecommunications and emergency services, was demonstrated in June when the federal government co-sponsored an exercise known as Blue Cascades. Dozens of government and private-sector representatives from five U.S. states in the Pacific Northwest and three Canadian provinces confronted the very real potential for cascading infrastructure failures resulting from combined physical and cyberterrorist incidents.

The results were chilling (see story). Simulated terrorist attacks disrupted the region's electric power grid, causing power outages that spread quickly to other Western states and lasted for more than a week, according to exercise coordinators. The exercise also included simultaneous physical and cyberdisruptions of the region's telecommunications and natural gas distribution systems, as well as a threat to a major municipal water system and the region's ports.

Once the electric grid is disrupted, the other infrastructures that businesses and government agencies rely on for their day-to-day operations, including telecommunications, transportation, emergency services, hospitals and law enforcement, begin to fall like dominoes, according to the final report on the lessons learned from the exercise.

A year after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, has anything changed? What has your company done to better protect its assets? Should the government get more involved in preventing a cyber 9/11 in the future? Have your say in our Computerworld forum, 9/11 One year later.
*************************
Los Angeles Times
File-Sharing Networks Relying on VCR Ruling
By JON HEALEY
September 10 2002

As entertainment companies struggle in court to defend their music and movies against a new generation of digital pirates, one of their biggest challenges is an 18-year-old Supreme Court ruling on a defunct technology.

The major record companies and Hollywood studios have sued a series of online file-sharing companies, accusing them of fueling rampant piracy of songs and videos on the Internet. In response, the file-sharing networks have relied on the Supreme Court's 1984 ruling in the Sony Betamax case, which held that Sony Corp. wasn't liable for copyright infringement because its videocassette recorders had "substantial" legitimate uses as well as illegal ones.

Two file-sharing networks--Napster Inc. and Aimster (later renamed Madster)--sought refuge in the Betamax case with no great success. Now, three popular successors--Morpheus, Kazaa and Grokster--are relying on Betamax in a critical pretrial skirmish.

If the file-sharing companies win, the music and movie companies would be forced to turn their legal guns directly onto consumers who make pirate copies. That's a step the entertainment industry has been loath to take because it's expensive and might alienate customers. But if the file-sharing companies lose, some advocates say, the shrinking scope of the Betamax ruling could put a damper on new technology.

"If the Betamax doctrine is eroded, you end up in a situation where innovation generally suffers, and you're limited to whatever technology Hollywood thinks we deserve," said Fred von Lohmann of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which is helping to defend Morpheus. "It's just an untenable situation if in fact copyright law makes it impossible for innovators to do what they do."

Matthew J. Oppenheim, senior vice president of business and legal affairs at the Recording Industry Assn. of America, agreed that the file-sharing cases are refining the scope of Betamax. But as the judge in the Madster case ruled, there's a fundamental difference between a VCR that works in a consumer's home and an online network that distributes files around the globe.

"There's nothing in the Sony decision that says it extends to distribution," Oppenheim said.

The lawsuit against Morpheus, Kazaa and Grokster is being heard by U.S. District Judge Stephen V. Wilson in Los Angeles. Lawyers for the entertainment companies, Morpheus and Grokster filed briefs Monday urging Wilson to decide the case without a trial, but no ruling is expected for several months.

Napster and Madster went into bankruptcy before the copyright infringement lawsuits against them were decided. Still, the record companies and music publishers won pretrial injunctions against both companies, and those rulings could prove influential in the Morpheus case.

In particular, the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which considered the injunction against Napster, and U.S. District Judge Marvin E. Aspen, who heard the case against Madster, declared that consumers don't have the right to copy music from strangers over the Internet, even when no money changes hands.

Based on that reasoning, copyright lawyers say, an online file-sharing company could be liable for "contributory" infringement if it knew of the copying but still assisted it, or "vicarious" infringement if it benefited financially from the copying and could have stopped it.

The 9th Circuit held that Napster couldn't be held liable simply because its technology enabled people to pirate music, but it also ruled that the company wasn't protected by Betamax because it knew what its users were doing.

The record companies and music publishers alerted Napster to more than 12,000 infringing song files available on its network, and the company failed to purge those files from its system, the court held.

The main difference between Napster and the three file-sharing networks now being sued is that Napster kept central directories of the files on users' computers. Like most of the file-sharing companies that emerged in Napster's wake, Morpheus, Kazaa and Grokster don't have central directories. And as a consequence, their lawyers say, they have no way to monitor or control what their users do.

The courts are trying to determine how much a file-sharing company must know about and participate in its users' piracy to be held liable, said attorney Neil J. Rosini, a copyright expert at Franklin Weinrib Rudell & Vassallo in New York.

"Grokster and the like take the position that 'It's not us. We're just dumb pipes through which other people act.' And copyright owners are attempting to take the position that they're more than dumb pipes, that they're encouraging members to infringe ... and they're doing that for the purpose of making money," Rosini said.

In his ruling against Madster, Aspen held that the Betamax decision wouldn't apply unless Madster demonstrated that its primary use was legitimate. But the 9th Circuit appears to disagree, saying the issue is simply whether a file-sharing network is capable of substantial legitimate uses.

That means the courts must weigh not only the current uses of a network but also the potential future benefits of the technology, said Charles S. Baker, an attorney for StreamCast Networks Inc., the company that distributes Morpheus' software.

Michael Page, an attorney for Grokster, agreed, saying one of the issues is "how significant do [the legitimate uses] have to be."

Said Von Lohmann of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, "The Supreme Court got the answer right in the Betamax case. You don't measure [the amount of legitimate use] at all. So long as it is capable of a legitimate use, you let it go."

With this thinking in mind, the companies behind Morpheus, Kazaa and Grokster have tried to encourage copyright owners to use file-sharing as a legitimate promotional or distribution tool. Examples include offering independent musicians and game developers tools to disperse sample songs or copy-protected versions of games.

Oppenheim of the RIAA said the rulings in the Napster and Madster cases make clear why Betamax doesn't apply to file-sharing networks, even if the decisions don't necessarily bind Wilson in the Morpheus, Kazaa and Grokster case. For example, he said, Aspen held that the Betamax ruling applies only to discrete products, such as a VCR, that are used by customers as they see fit, and Madster doesn't fit that definition.

Aspen also pointed out the many ways Madster knew or should have known about the piracy enabled by its software. Although some of his arguments applied only to Madster, others also could apply to Morpheus, Kazaa and Grokster.

In a joint brief filed Monday, the major record companies, music publishers and movie studios argued that the three file-sharing companies are well aware of the piracy on their networks, and that they could prevent it. They also argue that unlike Sony, the companies do more than just distribute a product--they also actively sustain the file-sharing networks.

To Rosini, it's just too great a stretch to think the Betamax decision extends to online file-sharing networks that consumers use to copy billions of songs, videos and other files from one another's computers free.

"The Supreme Court in deciding the Sony case couldn't have intended to permit a massive system of infringement to be called exempt from the copyright law," Rosini said.

"It just defies reason to think otherwise."
****************************
News Factor
Satellite Nets Used To Fight Terror

Satellite-based communications networks can help combat terrorism, according to a new report issued by Datacomm Research. These networks were originally built for ordinary civilian communications, but they failed to compete effectively with land-based cellular networks. However, some are proving to have significant military and security applications. Of the four networks discussed in the Datacomm report, three use low Earth orbit (LEO) satellites and one uses geosynchronous satellites. [Full Story http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/19351.html]
************************
Info World
Microsoft says Win 2000 hacking outbreak subsides
By Matt Berger
September 9, 2002 5:34 pm PT

SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft has apparently gotten to the bottom of a rash of hacking attacks against computer systems running its Windows 2000 operating system, according to a security advisory posted late Friday on its Web site.

On Aug. 30 Microsoft warned customers of an increase in reported hacker attacks against the software but offered few details about the root of the problem. The company Friday modified its original advisory and now says the malicious activity has "lessened significantly."

The software maker said the outbreak of attacks probably did not result from new vulnerabilities in its operating system, but rather from administrators not following standard procedures to secure their servers.

"By analyzing computers that have been compromised, Microsoft has determined that these attacks do not appear to exploit any new product-related security vulnerabilities and do not appear to be viral or worm-like in nature," the company stated in its advisory, available online at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q328691.

"Instead, the attacks seek to take advantage of situations where standard precautions have not been taken," the advisory said. "The activity appears to be associated with a coordinated series of individual attempts to compromise Windows 2000-based servers."

The Redmond, Washington, software maker is urging customer to take preventive measures to protect themselves against future attacks. Customers should eliminate blank or weak administrator passwords, disable guest accounts, run up-to-date antivirus software, use firewalls to protect internal servers and stay up to date on all security patches.

The malicious activity has affected only Windows 2000 and not earlier versions of the software, the company said.
*************************
Reuters Internet Reports
Domain Firm Sets Rules for Children Internet Zone
Mon Sep 9, 3:00 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sex, violence and the "seven dirty words" prohibited by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission ( news - web sites) would be banned from a children's Internet domain, according to preliminary guidelines released on Monday by the domain manager.

Washington-based NeuStar Inc., which plans to set up the kid-friendly Internet zone, said it would rely on existing guidelines for television and advertising to determine what material would be appropriate for the ". kids.us" domain.

Developers would have to follow FCC ( news - web sites) rules for radio and television, which bar profanity and require some educational content, the privately held company said, while advertisements would have to comply with guidelines set up by a Better Business Bureau panel.

Illegal drug use, alcohol or tobacco use, gambling and skimpy clothing also would be prohibited, the company said. Exceptions could be made if the material had educational, literary or scientific merit, the company said.

While explicit violence and weapons use would be prohibited, determining exactly where to draw the line could be problematic, NeuStar said.

"We invite commenters to suggest means of defining a bright-line test for determining when violent content, or any other inappropriate content, might be inappropriate for a 12-year-old," the company said in comments published on its Web site.

The company, which also manages the new ".biz" domain, said it was seeking public input until October 11.

Congress has for years tried to prevent children from being exposed to pornography, hate speech and other "adult" content on the Internet.

After several attempts to ban content outright were struck down by the courts, lawmakers have proposed setting up a kids-only area within the United States' ".us" domain.

The House of Representatives passed the bill in May, and a similar version has been introduced in the Senate.

Lillie Coney Public Policy Coordinator U.S. Association for Computing Machinery Suite 510 2120 L Street, NW Washington, D.C. 20037 202-478-6124 lillie.coney@xxxxxxx