Clips July 22, 2002

ARTICLES

Senate Getting Badly Needed E-Mail Update
WAR ON TERRORISM: Georgia on track with Bush's plans
House homeland panel reverses field on baggage-screening deadline
Internet extends legal reach of national governments
New centers promote telecommuting among federal employees
Oracle's Ellison Says U.S. Should Centralize Data
RealNetworks Poses Challenge to Microsoft
Raising the Accessibility Bar
Lawyers discover eBay as legal-evidence bazaar
Umpires Renew Attack on Monitoring
The Instant-Mess Age 'IM' Isn't Private
With 'Old' Design, Japanese Supercomputer Beats Top U.S. Machine
Fighting Piracy, Hollywood Hunts Down People Trading Films Online
Official: USA vulnerable to cyber terrorism
Higher Learning at Warp Speed
S.Korean Broadband Internet Access Hits 20 Percent
More Doctors Use Internet for Work, Survey Finds
Urdu website breaks new ground
No home for digital pictures?
Computer experts to back the Grid
Defining redundancy
Homeland strategy sets IT agenda
OMB puts hold on homeland IT
Federal Computer Week Policy briefs
Liars unmasked
Feds endorse guide for Windows security
Building smarter borders
OMB will consolidate Homeland Security systems work

*************************
Washington Post
Senate Getting Badly Needed E-Mail Update
By Brian Krebs

After more than four years of planning, the U.S. Senate is finally replacing its 12-year-old e-mail system, an antiquated communications tool that staffers say has given new meaning to the term "snail mail."

"With the old system, it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to sometimes days for an e-mail to get to its recipient," said Matt Payne-Funk, a systems administrator for Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt), whose Washington office is among the first to migrate to the Microsoft Outlook-based e-mail system that will replace the old system.

With the exception of a few minor glitches, the transition has so far been a successful, Payne-Funk said, with most messages now processed "almost instantaneously."

Since 1990, senators' 100 Capitol Hill offices and 400 collective field offices have sent and received e-mail through "cc:Mail," a program introduced by Lotus in 1985. Last year, however, the Senate was finally forced to switch to a new e-mail system after Lotus stopped selling and supporting the program.

Payne-Funk's office mates are still marveling at the new systems' ability to send e-mails that include Web pages - a feature that was largely unnecessary in the pre-World Wide Web era of cc:Mail.

Technologically speaking, the Senate is several product cycles behind the House of Representatives, which began transitioning to an earlier version of Microsoft's e-mail software in 1996.

While most Senate offices now boast relatively new and powerful computers and high-speed Internet access, the Senate's e-mail service remains painfully slow, said one of many Senate staffers who asked not to be identified for this story.

"If I really want to get a message to someone quickly, I'll use my Web mail account through Yahoo," the staffer said.

Andy Davis, spokesman for Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ernest "Fritz" Hollings (D-S.C.), said he was encouraged by the prospect of a more efficient and reliable system.

"Hopefully it'll be one that won't have quite as many glitches as we've experienced in the past," he said.

It seems that nearly every Senate office has its own horror story about the old e-mail system.

One senior staff member for a subcommittee with oversight over technology policy issues recalled receiving an e-mail recently that she had sent several days before. The missive had bounced back with a message explaining that the mail server had given up after trying to deliver it 63 times.

The aging mail software often fouls up communications between Senate offices in Washington and field offices across the nation.

"Honestly, sometimes it seems like it would be faster to get in your car and drive the information to the home office than to use this system," one staffer said.

The unpredictable behavior of the Senate e-mail system has also created its share of public relations nightmares.

Last year, a longtime Senate press officer e-mailed a news release to more than 140 reporters. The message somehow got caught in a vicious loop, mailing itself to all of the recipients every hour for several days.

"It was a pretty harrowing experience," the press secretary said. "I nearly got death threats from more than a few reporters," the staffer said.

In recent years, the Senate e-mail system has groaned under the weight of an increasingly tech-savvy electorate. In February 2001, an avalanche of messages slowed the chamber's e-mail system for nearly an hour. The month prior, the same e-mail servers were overwhelmed by a torrent of e-mail following Attorney General John Ashcroft's confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Administrators have since scaled the system to accommodate large volumes of e-mail, said Tracy Williams, director of technology development for the Senate Sergeant at Arms Office, which administers the system.

The challenge now, Williams said, will be to transition to the new Senate e-mail system without causing significant outages or delays.

"Like any big project, it's not without its bumps along the way, but overall it's going very well," Williams said.

Williams said the goal is to move all Senate offices to the new system by November.

Sources familiar with the project, however, say many senators seeking reelection this year have refused to make the switch in their offices until after Election Day.
**************************
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
WAR ON TERRORISM: Georgia on track with Bush's plans
Don Plummer - Staff
Wednesday, July 17, 2002

Georgia homeland security officials say they already have addressed most areas identified Tuesday by President Bush as state responsibilities.

"We've already put several measures in place addressing most of those things," said Mickey Lloyd, deputy director of Georgia Homeland Security.

Lloyd was among those briefed Monday night by federal Homeland Security Coordinator Tom Ridge during a nationwide conference with state homeland officials.

A 90-page "National Strategy for Homeland Security" unveiled by Bush identifies six areas to be addressed by the states. They are:

> Creating tighter minimum standards for driver's licenses.

> Ensuring the availability of terrorism insurance.

> Training to prevent cyber attacks.

> Tightening control of financial institutions to reduce money laundering.

> Updating procedures for ordering quarantines in cases of bio-terrorism.

> Planning for continuity of court operations after an attack.

The only surprise for Georgia officials in Bush's plan, Lloyd said, was the call to develop a plan for court operations.

"That's something we're going to have to take a hard look at," Lloyd said. "But if that's what the marching orders are, we'll get started on it right away."

Such a plan for court operations should be ready by the end of the year, a court official said. The plan, updated and expanded from one developed for the 1996 Summer Olympics, will be shared with each of the state's 159 county court systems, said Billie Bolton of the state's Administrative Office of the Courts.

On driver's licenses, Georgia is one of just a few states to include the applicant's digitally encoded fingerprint. A change under consideration here is to require proof of identity from all license applicants.

In January, state Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine denied a request by companies to exclude terrorism coverage from homeowners' policies.

State officials have joined the FBI's InfraGard program, a consortium of private sector and government organizations that share information about and seek to prevent cyber attacks. The Atlanta InfraGard chapter, which counts more than 200 members, is one of the nation's most active, chapter president Phyllis Schneck said.

A state banking official said the state might add laws regulating money transfer businesses to reduce money laundering.

"Georgia already regulates check cashers and sellers of money orders and travelers checks," said David Sorrell, acting commissioner of the Georgia Department of Banking and Finance. "State laws do not now cover wire transfer companies and currency exchanges, but that is one of the things we are looking at."

On quarantine, a new law calls for public-health officials to develop such plans in case of a bio-terrorism attacks, said Stacey Hoffman, director of risk communications at the Division of Public Health in the state Department of Human Resources.

The law also designates the Division of Public Health as the lead agency when the governor declares a national public health emergency, Hoffman said.

A spokeswoman for Gov. Roy Barnes said he and other state officials will review the president's recommendations.

"The state's Homeland Security Task Force has been reviewing the situation since last year to assess Georgia's preparedness level and assess where Georgia may need to shore up in regards to homeland security," spokeswoman Joselyn Baker said.

Since Sept. 11, Georgia has spent $6.3 million on added security, plus several million more in federal grants, Baker said.

In a survey of state homeland security programs conducted this year by the National Governors Association, Georgia was found to be in relatively good shape, partly because of its experience in preparing for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta.

State legislators have introduced more than 1,200 anti-terrorism bills since Sept. 11. In Georgia, Barnes set up the inter-agency task force to coordinate actions between state and local agencies and with federal agencies.

The task force includes public safety, emergency management, public health, environmental protection, transportation and defense agencies, along with representatives of local law-enforcement officials and fire chiefs.

The centerpiece of its efforts is a new anti-terrorist intelligence center, which shares space with the FBI counter-terrorism task force.
**********************
Government Executive
House homeland panel reverses field on baggage-screening deadline
By Tom Shoop and Brody Mullins

The House Select Homeland Security Committee reversed itself Friday, first voting to retain a year-end deadline for the Transportation Security Administration to implement baggage-sreeening systems at airports, then later accepting an amendment shifting the deadline to Dec. 31, 2003.

Friday morning, the committee accepted, on a 6-3 vote, an amendment offered by Democratic Caucus Vice Chairman Robert Menendez of New Jersey to keep the current deadline for setting up explosive-detection systems at airports. The deadline was included in the legislation creating the TSA last fall.

House Majority Leader Dick Armey, R-Texas, who drafted the homeland security legislation and chairs the ad hoc committee, tucked a provision into the legislation Thursday that would have removed the deadline.

Friday, Armey said his decision was a tough one, but it was "the right one"and one he could make because he plans to retire at the end of the year. But Republican Conference Chairman J.C. Watts of Oklahoma and Rep. Deborah Pryce, R-Ohio, joined Democrats in voting to strip the language from the bill.

Later, though, Watts backed a measure to shift the deadline for implementing explosive-detection systems as far back as March 31, 2004. Republicans argued that the current deadline was simply unrealistic and would require airports to implement inferior systems.

"We want the best technology in airports as possible," said House Majority Whip Tom Delay, R-Texas.

But the amendment drew the ire of Democrats on the panel. Currently, "very little baggage gets checked [for explosives]," said Menendez. "The overwhelming percentage goes unchecked. That's why Congress overwhelmingly voted to have deadlinesto keep those people's feet to the fire to produce those explosive detection devices as soon as possible."

In the end, though, the panel voted 6-3 to accept a compromise offered by Rep. Martin Frost, D-Texas, to shift the deadline to Dec. 31, 2003.
***********************
Mercury News
Internet extends legal reach of national governments

NEW YORK (AP) - Police in Italy didn't care that five Web sites they deemed blasphemous and thus illegal were located in the United States, where First Amendment protections apply.

The police shut them down anyway in early July, simply by sitting down at the alleged offender's Rome computer.

Talk about the long arm of the law.

Under pressure from their citizens, governments around the world are increasingly abandoning the hands-off attitude they initially had toward the Internet. They are now applying their laws far beyond their borders -- thanks to the borderless medium.

Put another way, foreign citizens and businesses are now being subjected to copyright, speech, consumer protection and other laws enacted by governments in countries where they've had no voice.

Though these international tensions existed long before the Net, the global network's growth exacerbated them.

In Italy, two men are under investigation for allegedly running sites that combined pornographic pictures with offensive statements about the Madonna. Authorities say they were weighing blasphemy, computer fraud and other charges that could result in fines and up to three years in prison.

Though the sites were hosted by U.S. companies, including Blue Gravity Communications Inc. of Pennsauken, N.J., authorities in Italy used a suspect's computer and password to reach across the ocean and replace the offending images with the insignia of the special police unit that tracked him down.

Blue Gravity's chief executive, Tom Krwawecz, said the company was never informed. And he believes U.S. laws -- not Italy's -- ought to apply.

``That's where the content is actually located, regardless of who's looking at it and where it's being looked at,'' Krwawecz said. ``How are we to know what the laws of another country might be?''

David Farber, the moderator of a popular online mailing list on technology with recipients all over the globe, envisions a time when he'll have to cut back on his postings for fear of lawsuits elsewhere.

Many countries do not value free speech the way the United States does, nor do they give speakers as much leeway in defending libel lawsuits. So mailing list mavens like Farber need to be concerned about whether items they post might violate a law somewhere.

``We live in a world where we communicate worldwide and we travel worldwide,'' Farber said. ``If I violate some Australian law and then land in Sydney, do they throw me in jail?''

Indeed, U.S.-based Dow Jones & Co. is challenging an Australian businessman's right to sue it in Australia over an article published in the United States and posted online. A lower Australian court last August allowed a lawsuit to proceed.

It's not just speech that's at issue.

Consider a privacy law recently passed by the European Parliament requiring companies anywhere in the world to obtain permission before sending marketing e-mail to Europeans.

Jim Conway of the New York-based Direct Marketing Association worries that U.S. companies may have to scale back U.S. campaigns if they cannot assure that their mailing lists contain no European addresses.

The European Commission's Marian Grubben acknowledges that the new law complicates national boundaries and could be hard to enforce. But she said doing nothing isn't a choice, given the amount of junk e-mail her citizens receive.

``We could probably use something that I would call the law of the Net, but if it's anything like the law of the sea, it took 20 years to get that sorted out,'' said Vinton Cerf, one of the Net's early developers.

Until then, there's a risk that individuals and businesses -- particularly multinationals -- may feel obliged to curtail speech and other online activities.

Already, a French court ordered California-based Yahoo! Inc. to remove Nazi-related items from its online auctions, even though such materials are legal in the United States. Yahoo is challenging the decision.

Enough of these cases, and larger companies will play it safe by banning legal but unpopular speech and activities, said Michael Geist, a law professor at Canada's University of Ottawa.

Individuals like Farber may have to think twice before pressing ``send.'' Farber said he hasn't received many legal threats yet, but ``if this happens too much, and I start getting letters from overseas, it's going to water down my willingness to do things and say things.''

Google and other U.S.-based search engines have voluntarily removed links to a Web site that gives tips on railway sabotage -- a means of protesting nuclear waste transports. German railroad Deutsche Bahn had threatened to sue in German court.

The United States, too, is guilty of trying to extend its reach.

A U.S. copyright law was used to jail a Russian programmer in California for writing software that was legal in his country. He was later freed, but charges remain against his Russian employer.

And because a large part of Internet traffic goes through the United States -- even if both sender and recipient live elsewhere -- last fall's anti-terrorism bill lets the Justice Department prosecute foreign hackers when they attack computers anywhere in the world.

Of course, enforcement is another matter. In the case of the Russian programmer, authorities had to wait for him to attend a conference in Las Vegas before moving to arrest him.

Motohiro Tsuchiya, professor at the International University of Japan's Center for Global Communications, believes multinational businesses will ultimately pressure governments to move toward uniformity -- through treaties and other cooperative arrangements.

But at what cost?

The current patchwork ``does make things more complicated,'' said Milton Mueller, a professor at Syracuse University who studies Internet governance. ``But it's also much more responsive to variation in human and economic conditions around the world.''
************************
Government Executive
New centers promote telecommuting among federal employees
By Tanya N. Ballard
tballard@xxxxxxxxxxx

Federal employees weary of braving the commute between locales in Montgomery County, Md. and Washington may soon be able to use two new telework centers slated for Washington's Maryland suburbs.

The General Services Administration is now accepting proposals for two federal telework centers, one near Wheaton, Md., and another in the Germantown, Md., area. GSA operates nearly 20 telework centers in the Washington area, which has some of the worst traffic congestion in the country.

Rep. Connie Morella, R-Md., had pushed for the creation of the centers, adding language to the fiscal 2002 Treasury-Postal Appropriations Act requiring GSA to study the feasibility of adding telework centers in Montgomery County. The report, released in May, concluded the area needed the facilities.

"Traffic congestion is a major problem for the entire Washington region," said Morella in a statement announcing the centers. "With so many federal employees traveling to jobs, both within Montgomery County and elsewhere in the region, the use of telecenters will provide a real opportunity to make a significant impact on traffic."

Telework centers allow federal employees to do their jobs closer to home by providing work stations with computers, phones and other needed technology. The cost of using a telework center full-time ranges from $240 to $980 per month. Agencies pay those fees out of their own budgets.

Morella and Reps. Frank Wolf, R-Va., and Steny Hoyer, D-Md., have championed teleworking to reduce the Washington's area's traffic, make the federal government more efficient and improve federal employees' quality of life.

Though telecommuting has long been recognized as a way to boost employee morale and productivity and reduce absenteeism, the idea has been slow to catch on in the federal government. Wolf added language to the fiscal 2001 Transportation Appropriations Act requiring the Office of Personnel Management to ensure that 25 percent of the federal workforce participate in telecommuting programs at least some of the time by April 2001. As of November, just 4.2 percent of federal workers telecommuted.

"The federal telework program is still evolving," Morella said. "It is not yet a mainstream work arrangement, and there are challenges ahead. Telework is a legitimate option to help alleviate some of our region's transportation problems. I look forward to the day when the entire federal workforce will telecommute to the maximum extent possible."
**************************
Reuters
Oracle's Ellison Says U.S. Should Centralize Data
Fri Jul 19, 9:06 PM ET
By Judith Crosson

DENVER (Reuters) - Larry Ellison, chief executive of Oracle Corp. on Friday renewed his campaign for a government-initiated database of U.S. medical and criminal records, the kind of sweeping and controversial project the No. 2 software vendor has offered to undertake before.

"There should be one system," Ellison told some 3,000 attendees at Colorado Gov. Bill Owens' third annual technology conference in Denver.

A unified system would be both cheaper and safer, eliminating many of the current problems in health care and criminal justice, he said.

For example, patients risk adverse drug reactions because one pharmacy that fills a prescription has no way of knowing another pharmacy might have provided a second drug that could make the patient sick if both were taken together.

"Government should take a lead in this so we can stop killing people," Ellison said.

Centralized database systems would also allow emergency medical personnel to better treat someone in an accident far from home and help police departments better track criminals, he said.

"You're saying 'What a threat to privacy,"' he said to an audience that seemed sometimes skeptical that such information could be responsibly entrusted to a single system.

PRIVACY BARTERED FOR CREDIT

But Ellison, who founded Oracle in 1977 after a deal with the Central Intelligence Agency ( news - web sites) that helped launch the firm, said security would be enhanced, not diminished, by centralizing control of sensitive data.

"You barter 100 percent of your financial privacy in exchange for credit," he said, referring to credit card companies' use of central databases to assess credit standing.

Besides, he said, a central database with controls would be more secure than leaving records at a physician's office where employees have access to them.

Oracle has maintained close ties to federal, state and local governments and such contracts make up an estimated 25 percent of its revenue.

In the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the company joined a partnership to focus on airport security. At one point, Ellison also offered to supply the government software to create a national ID system to thwart terrorists.

More recently, Oracle became the center of a controversy over a major sale of its software to California, after auditors said the contract was rushed through without competitive bidding and could end up costing taxpayers too much.

Oracle defended the agreement and produced its own analysis of the deal to show that it would actually save the state millions of dollars over the life of the contract.

Oracle shares closed at $9.72 on Friday, less than half of its 52-week high of $20.

But Ellison mocked the idea that depressed stock prices, layoffs in technology and the disappearance of scores of dot-com companies spelled the demise of the information economy.

"It's just the dawn of the Information Age. You ain't seen nothing yet," Ellison said.

He also sneaked in a jab at his arch-rival, Microsoft Corp. , and its Chairman Bill Gates ( news - web sites).

Oracle has promoted its software as being more secure than competing alternatives in a bid to take advantage of Microsoft's recent problems with hackers and viruses exploiting loopholes in its software.

In the early months of the year, Microsoft interrupted software development work and sent engineers on special training at a cost of at least $100 million to improve security.

But Ellison noted that Microsoft's high-profile "stand-down" had come largely in February, "The shortest month of the year," he quipped.
**************************
New York Times
RealNetworks Poses Challenge to Microsoft
By JOHN MARKOFF

SAN FRANCISCO, July 21 In a significant challenge to Microsoft, RealNetworks plans to announce a new version of its software on Monday that can distribute audio and video in a range of formats, including Microsoft's own proprietary Windows Media.

The new software is intended for large media companies and other corporations that need to send audio and video data to customers and employees in a variety of different formats. But RealNetworks acknowledged that it was possible that the company might incur Microsoft's legal wrath.

Nevertheless, Rob Glaser, a former Microsoft executive who founded RealNetworks as Progressive Networks in 1994, said he believed the strategy was good for both Microsoft and consumers.

"A rational way for them to respond would be to say, `This is great,' " he said. "That would be Microsoft of the future."

Mr. Glaser said his company, based in Seattle, had developed a version of the Microsoft Media Server software that comes with the Windows operating system.

He said RealNetworks' engineers had studied the data that was sent between the Microsoft media server software and the Windows Media Player program and recreated the technology needed to play files in the Microsoft format. This method created a so-called clean-room version, meaning the developers built the transmission software without any knowledge about the underlying program.

Microsoft has adopted a similar strategy at several junctures, Mr. Glaser said, reverse-engineering technologies like NetWare, PostScript and JavaScript at different times.

Microsoft executives said the company currently licensed the Windows Media Player technology to a variety of companies including Yahoo, RealNetworks and the America Online unit of AOL Time Warner. But a Microsoft executive said that a clean-room copy of the Windows server technology could lead to quality and performance issues.

"It's kind of hard to speculate about the technology until we see it," said Dave Fester, the general manager of the Windows Media division. If a company has not licensed the server software, he added, "we would need to look at it and see what they're doing."

RealNetworks appears to be endeavoring to avoid being "Netscaped," a reference to the fate that befell the Netscape Communications Corporation when Microsoft decided to make an Internet browser, which was pioneered commercially by Netscape, a standard part of the Windows operating system. Netscape was later acquired by AOL Time Warner. Microsoft's decision to build an Internet browser into Windows and give it away at no additional cost led directly to a bitter antitrust lawsuit brought by the Justice Department in 1997.

RealNetworks, which was a pioneer in the market for streaming media to desktop personal computers, has been under growing pressure from Microsoft, which is giving away both the server and Windows Media Player program as part of its operating strategy. RealNetworks also faces challenges from Apple Computer, which offers the QuickTime media player as a part of its Macintosh OS X operating system and sells a more full-featured player.

Moreover, in recent months Macromedia Inc., which makes the Flash animation software used on many Web sites, has added video capabilities to its technology, making it a potential rival.

RealNetworks is gambling that with a proliferation of different standards and formats for video and audio, the media corporations that make content available over the Internet will flock to a single system that supports multiple types of data. The company is trying to shift the focus of the competition from the PC desktop to the server, according to analysts.

Several analysts said the RealNetworks shift in strategy could put Microsoft on the defensive.

"Real has got the experience and sophistication to pull this off," said Richard Doherty, the president of Envisioneering, a market research and consulting firm based in Seaford, N.Y. "It will open up a new horse race."

Until now the companies have been engaged in a technology war to rapidly increase the power and quality of each of their media players. At the same time, they have competed over which of the programs are placed on the desktops of personal computer users. RealNetworks claims to have 700,000 subscribers for pay services, but it is perceived as being increasingly vulnerable, according to some analysts, because Microsoft has included its Media Player as part of the Windows operating system, which dominates the PC market.

There are dozens of data formats for playing audio and video on the Internet, but the dominant ones are RealAudio and RealVideo from RealNetworks, QuickTime from Apple, Windows Media from Microsoft and the industry digital movie standards MPEG-2 and MPEG-4.

Microsoft and RealNetworks are currently locked in a close race for desktop media player leadership. In the first quarter of this year, according to survey data collected by Jupiter Research, a market research firm based in New York, RealNetworks' RealOne Player had a 29.1 percent share of media players, while Microsoft's Windows Media Player had a 28.2 percent share. Apple's Quicktime player was third, with a 12.2 percent.

The new server software from RealNetworks is part of a version of the company's media server that is to be introduced on Monday and which will be called the Helix Universal Server. RealNetworks said it would offer performance data based on a test it financed at an independent testing service, KeyLabs, that indicate that the Helix software can, under some conditions, deliver up to four times the speed of the Windows Media Server in Microsoft's operating system. (Software servers are programs that run on powerful computers and can send streams of digital information to many computer users simultaneously.)

At a news conference scheduled to be held in San Francisco, RealNetworks is also expected to announce that it plans to make the Helix software available as part of a strategy known as community source, which will make it possible for RealNetworks partners and competitors to take advantage of the original programmers' instructions.

RealNetworks is to announce a range of partners, including Hitachi, Hewlett-Packard, I.B.M., Deutsche Telekom, NEC, Nokia, Cisco Systems, Oracle, Sun Microsystems, Palm, Texas Instruments and others. These partners could then incorporate the software into their own hardware and software products.

Under the licensing strategy, companies will be able to freely gain access to the underlying code that the Helix program is based on, but they will still pay a licensing fee when they sell commercial products based on the technology.

The community-source approach to software, which was pioneered by Sun to distribute its Java programming language, is a variation upon the original free software or open-source approach which has confounded the software industry in recent years.

While open-source software can be freely shared, with some restrictions, the community-source approach is more restrictive and yet still tries to persuade others to collaborate and add innovative ideas.

Other large technology companies including Sun, I.B.M. and Apple, have all now adopted variations on such open-source strategy, with varying results. In Sun's case, the company has been criticized because, while Java has become an industry standard, the company has not been the principal financial beneficiary in many cases.

RealNetworks is trying to strike a balance between opening up its technology to persuade others to participate and innovate and not losing control of the technology entirely, Mr. Glaser said. "We think we've struck the balance well," he said.

Analysts said the strategy shift by RealNetworks was likely to shake up the industry. "The moment you've open-sourced something you've cornered your competitor," said Matthew Berk, an analyst a Jupiter Research. "To date this stuff has been very proprietary. Opening it up makes it accessible to creative and gifted programmers who will come up with wild stuff that the companies have never considered."

Mr. Glaser said he expected other companies to produce technology that would rival RealNetworks' commercially as a result of the community-source strategy.

One possibility is that companies such as Sun or I.B.M. could decide to add the Helix technology of RealNetworks as a standard component of their operating systems. Although RealNetworks might not get a significant financial benefit from such an arrangement it could contribute to making its Helix software a de facto industry standard.

Mr. Glaser said he had struck upon the idea of making his media server software open source while visiting with an executive from Nokia, the world's largest cellphone maker.

"Taking all of this stuff beyond the PC has been a huge motivation for us," he said. When he realized that Nokia was interested in deploying the software technology on as many as 30 to 40 different types of phones, he realized that RealNetworks did not have enough programming talent to support the effort.

"I told him, `I don't think we have enough engineers even if you guys were willing to pay us,' " he said.

That touched off a search for an alternative way of having the two companies cooperate.
*************************
Wired News
Raising the Accessibility Bar
By Kendra Mayfield

An Italian inventor built the first typewriter to help a blind countess write legibly. Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone because his wife and mother were deaf. The remote control was invented for people with limited mobility. Today's office scanners evolved from technologies created to make talking books for the blind.

From the typewriter to the remote control, special access tools developed for disabled individuals eventually become conveniences for everyone.

Stanford University's Archimedes Project is working to make information accessible to everyone -- not just individuals with disabilities, but also the elderly, those who can't read and just about anyone else who uses computers and information appliances.

The Archimedes Project is building accessible technology that outperforms other commercial products so "non-disabled people will want it," said project leader and co-founder Neil Scott.

This summer, Stanford graduate students will collaborate with industry executives to create innovative products for people with disabilities through a 10-week program called the Archimedes Access Factory.

Guest speakers such as Paul Saffo, director of the Institute for the Future; Doug Engelbart, inventor of the computer mouse; and John Ittelson, director of the Idea Lab, will discuss how their work advances universal access.

Traditionally, adaptive technology requires individuals with disabilities to use modified versions of existing computers and devices.

Widely used interface strategies often rely too heavily on a single sense, such as sight. When the graphical user interface (GUI) was introduced, developers assumed that blind and visually impaired people wouldn't use it, creating an almost impenetrable barrier for those computer users.

Blind or visually impaired users rely on screen readers or other adaptive technologies to navigate computers and the Internet.

But that approach is becoming impractical as developers struggle to keep pace with technological obsolescence and increasingly complex operating systems and software.

"One of the key problems for disabled people is that when equipment is arbitrarily obsoleted, they don't have the resources to keep (getting hardware and software) upgraded," said Scott. "Obsolescence is really a bad thing for the disability industry."

The Archimedes Project's approach is radically different. The project designed a Total Access System (TAS) that enables individuals with special needs to have access to any computer or computer-based device.

Each individual is equipped with an "accessor," a single device that allows the user to utilize all computers and information appliances without specialized hardware or software. These accessors use speech recognition, head-and-eye-tracking and other "human-centered interfaces" that match individual needs.

A Total Access Port connects the PC and the user interface, providing standardized access to all user input and output.

"A key element (of the TAS) is to allow a person to select whatever input and output strategies fit the way they do things," said Scott. This approach "allows people to truly mix and match different modalities.... It gives them a huge amount of flexibility."

The Total Access System assists people such as J.B. Galan, who has an undergraduate degree from Stanford and an MBA from the University of California at Berkeley's Haas School of Business. Galan has been a quadriplegic since he was injured in a diving accident at age 16.

Galan uses a voice-recognition system that projects his words onto a computer screen. He can control the cursor using head movements.

Despite its benefits, accessible technology must continue to improve before it sees mainstream adoption.

"Voice recognition isn't reliable enough yet," said Scott.

Even though systems have become faster and more accurate, "it still takes time for a person to figure out how to use it."

The Archimedes Project is using disambiguation software to determine how to create a voice recognition system that has a "very high certainty for a few words that fit the current context," said Scott.
The project will focus on using intelligent agent systems "to make (a computer) behave more like a person," and "to take away the need for a person to learn a script before they can do anything.

"We want to get away from having to spell out (instructions to a computer) to (having a computer) be able to express intent."

Scott wants to apply invisible computing to the next generation of accessible technologies.

Rather than designing products specifically for individuals with disabilities and generalizing them to the rest of the population, the Archimedes Project is figuring out what accessible products they can make for the general population that will also be affordable for people with disabilities.

The project is developing equipment with a lifespan of decades, rather than creating hardware that lasts just a few years and requires frequent upgrades.

"There are billions of people that need very basic access tools if they are going to be part of the information," Scott said. "In the Third World, the aging and the disabled aren't that interested in upgrading.

"We want equipment in the disability field to be driven by need and performance, rather than market forces to have the latest and greatest."
************************
Los Angeles Times
Lawyers discover eBay as legal-evidence bazaar
By Lisa Girion

After a heated bidding war on eBay, Mark Lanier recently paid $2,125 to win a 1941 Naval Machinery manual.

It sounds like a peculiar collecting hobby, but to Lanier it was serious business. The Houston lawyer, who sues companies on behalf of asbestos-exposure victims, was bidding against a defense lawyer to get his hands on an evidentiary trophy filled with details on where and how asbestos was used aboard ships.

eBay might be known best as a place to buy bobblehead dolls, ancient Roman coins and millions of other idiosyncratic collectibles, but the world's most famous Internet auction also has become an unlikely source for legal evidence. It's a place where a growing number of lawyers bid often against each other for everything from smoking-gun documents to killer products.

Although "evidence" is not one of eBay's 18,000 product categories, lawyers who know what they are looking for can filter 11 million items by punching in keywords. There are dozens of active "asbestos" auctions daily.

Asbestos lawyers aren't the only ones shopping for evidence on eBay. A Los Angeles lawyer preparing lawsuits for lung-cancer victims, for instance, recently bought a cache of old cigarette advertisements that he figures he can use to re-create for jurors the atmosphere in which his clients got hooked.

eBay is a rich source of evidentiary ephemera for asbestos litigators, primarily because their sickest clients, those with an incurable and rare form of cancer, don't develop symptoms until decades after they were exposed to the hazardous mineral fiber.

A virtual time capsule, eBay holds out a seemingly endless supply of commercial and household artifacts, historic corporate documents, maintenance manuals and product catalogs that can help asbestos lawyers pin down where clients encountered the hazardous material and who can be held liable.

"There is no better place to shop and buy real evidence than on eBay," Lanier said.

Technology changes litigation

eBay's evidence market still is a largely unknown phenomenon. At the Internet marketplace's headquarters, where the stated mission is to help "practically anyone trade practically anything on Earth," spokesman Kevin Pursglove said he was unaware that eBay had become an evidence bazaar. Detecting such highly specialized, micro markets "is a bit of a challenge," he said, with millions of items for sale on any given day.

It is not widely known within the legal community, either. "You can quote me as saying 'Wow,' " said Deborah Hensler, a Stanford University law professor who tracks legal trends.

Surprise aside, trolling the Web for evidence is a logical extension of lawyers' increasing use of the Internet for everything from identifying causes of action to publicizing class-action lawsuits, Hensler said. "Technology is changing the dynamics of litigation."

Most asbestos injury cases are settled before reaching a jury verdict, and lawyers say the evidence they gather online often can help tip the balance toward a favorable settlement for their clients.

Lawyers from the other side of the bar also search for help in defending companies against allegations of decades-old asbestos use.

"You are talking about activities that occurred 20, 30, 40 years ago," said Eliot Jubelirer, a San Francisco lawyer who represents corporations. "There's nobody alive today who was in those companies years ago."

Legal bidding war

Lawyers who frequent eBay evidence auctions say the number of bidders has grown noticeably over the past 18 months.

"There were not a lot of people bidding on these things early on, and you could pick things up very reasonably," said Al Brayton, a personal injury lawyer. "Today, you get not only the plaintiffs' bar bidding, but you have the defense bar bidding. The prices have gone up a lot in the last year. A lot."

The rising prices, particularly for items that contain or describe the use of asbestos, are drawing more merchandise out of attics and garages.

"The market has grown dramatically from what it was a year ago," Brayton said. "People are now catering to the market and going to flea markets all over the country and looking for things with asbestos in them that they can sell."

The creation of such niche markets is one of eBay's most valuable functions, said Florian Zettelmeyer, an assistant professor of marketing at the University of California at Berkeley. "What these lawyers have done is tap into the core strength of the Internet, which is to pull together suppliers," he said.

Ernie Chmura, a Chicago-area computer programmer, became a purveyor of asbestos evidence almost by accident. He initially went to eBay's Web site last year to sell "three generations of junk" and his prized electric-train collection to help pay for funeral and medical expenses after his wife died of cancer.

As he searched the Web site to see what similar items were fetching, he noticed a 1949 plumbing-supply catalog, with a section on asbestos products, that went for $350. Chmura pulled one just like it out of his late father's attic and put it up for auction. "From a sales standpoint, only fishing equipment and the book "Dracula Was a Woman" were as nutty way out of expectation," Chmura said.

eBay evidence boon to cases

It's impossible to know how many lawyers are plying eBay for evidence, but it's hard to believe anyone spends more time or money at this form of discovery than Mark Lanier. The Texas lawyer paid $1,025 recently to win a 47-year-old pack of sealed cigarettes believed to have asbestos filters. The 1955 Kent Micronites might become Exhibit A in litigation he is preparing on behalf of more than 20 clients who have asbestos-related cancer and who smoked the brand.

Regardless of where it comes from, Lanier said eBay evidence is a boon to the development of cases. In the days before he discovered eBay, Lanier would fly investigators to search for documents in the public libraries in the hometowns of target companies.

"We had to convince the librarian to take things out of the case to take photographs and Xeroxes for hard data," Lanier said. "I'll still do that kind of stuff, but generally what I can get off eBay is better than what I can find elsewhere. It's a phenomenal thing."

Noticing Lanier's penchant for asbestos items on eBay, an Ohio engineer offered to sell him a collection that he described as his personal museum. Lanier paid $5,000 for the collection that includes household appliances, dozens of samples of floor and roofing tiles, a firefighter's uniform, a baseball mitt and even an action figure known as "Asbestos Man," believed to have appeared in the 1960s.

Lanier, who has the items sealed in Plexiglas to prevent the release of hazardous fibers, wastes no time introducing his collection at trial, often using them as props during his questioning of potential jurors.

"I'll ask jurors, 'Who has worked around asbestos?' and get 20 percent to raise hands," he said. "I'll bring 20 to 30 products into the courtroom (and) then I say where they put this stuff. When I'm done, 100 percent of the people will realize they've been exposed to asbestos. It helps the jury understand this is not just an issue for the plaintiff in this case, but this is really a larger issue that commands attention."
***************************
New York Times
Umpires Renew Attack on Monitoring
By MURRAY CHASS

Major league umpires, apparently believing in truth in advertising, took action yesterday to eliminate what appears to be their endorsement of a computerized system that tracks their calls of balls and strikes. The umpires thus extended their attack on baseball's attempt to use the system to monitor their work.

After a conference call that included 45 umpires, the officers of the World Umpires Association wrote a letter to QuesTec asking that it remove a reference to them from the company's Web site. QuesTec, based in Deer Park, N.Y., has developed a system to track pitches by computer; the system is in place at about half a dozen major league parks.

"The umpires ask you to take immediate action to remove the incorrect impression that might be derived from your Web site," said the letter, which was signed by John Hirschbeck, Joe Brinkman and Tim Welke.

The letter cited a question-and-answer section on QuesTec's Web site (questec.com) dealing with the QuesTec Umpire Information System:

"How do the umpires feel about it? In general, they support it! They had the opportunity to really watch the technology in action and to talk to us about how it works and how we thought it might be used. M.L.B. has also worked very hard to clearly lay out why they wanted this technology and how they would use it. We wouldn't dare say everyone loves it at this point but, from what we have seen, the umpiring community as a whole agrees this information has a lot of potential value and they want to work with it to see what can be learned."

The union officers disputed the company's claim, writing that the umpires "do not generally support" the system. The umpires and their technical consultants, the letter added, have "serious concerns" about the use of the system under game conditions. "Even if the QuesTec system were more accurate, there remain legitimate questions as to whether this device belongs in Major League Baseball," the umpires said in the letter.

Some umpires have been notified that they have called certain pitches incorrectly.

In a May 10 letter to Hirschbeck, who is the union president, Ralph Nelson, vice president for umpiring, told him that he had called 30 of 127 pitches incorrectly in a game he umpired in Cleveland a week earlier. "You called 22 pitches strikes that were well off the plate," Nelson wrote.

The union has filed two grievances against the commissioner's office, one arising from elements covered in the letter and the other based on the refusal of the commissioner's office to answer the union's questions and provide requested information about the system. The commissioner's office, in turn, has sued the union over the first grievance.

The umpires have disputed QuesTec's data. They say that the system has difficulty tracking certain breaking pitches and that the operators of the system have been inconsistent in defining the strike zone for the computer.
************************
Washington Post
The Instant-Mess Age 'IM' Isn't Private,
and That's a Problem for Firms, Workers
By Shannon Henry

"I think Mark is doing the right thing by going into rehab," Tim Gordon, vice president of an online concierge service, typed quickly to a friend. Sitting at his office computer, Gordon was multitasking in cyberspace as usual, holding several instant-messaging conversations at once.

And that's why he accidentally sent the message to a co-worker, not to his friend.

Sound familiar? Are you cringing? Even people who successfully navigated earlier methods of communication, who never put a thank-you note in the wrong envelope, or dialed one friend's number thinking it was another friend's, have by now experienced electronic-mail mortification. It may have been an offensive joke accidentally sent to the boss or a love note that got broadcast company-wide.

Personal embarrassment pales, however, when compared with the ramifications of a business message getting into the wrong hands. E-mail has made it easier to have that happen. Click the mouse and, poof, there go those inventory figures your group needed. But you may, through inattention, have sent them to your competitor. And the use of instant messaging, those real-time electronic exchanges between friends and colleagues, is heightening the potential for disaster, or at least embarrassment.

Because while e-mail and instant messaging may be casual, they are not without consequence. Particularly in business.

The first big electronic wake-up call came when Microsoft Corp.'s internal e-mails were used against the software maker in the Justice Department's antitrust case. That caused a jolt, but a lot of people nodded off again, lulled into complacency by the gentle clicking of their mouse.

Despite warnings, many continued to believe (still do) that electronic notes disappear into the ether, never to be seen again. Not quite. Just ask Merrill Lynch securities analyst Henry Blodget, whose e-mails became the cornerstone of a federal investigation into his company. When those internal e-mails became public, we read what Blodget wrote about stocks he'd recommended: "such a piece of crap," and a "dog."

And so our collective attention shifted once again to the consequences of our e-mail actions. As most people now know, it turns out it's much harder to shred an electronic document than a paper one, especially when it has been sent to numerous recipients, copied, saved and forwarded. Today no corporate malfeasance story would be complete without mention of the authorities seizing the hard drives of the company's computers.

By now e-mails sent must number in the trillions or beyond. As for the more recent instant messaging, about 16.9 million people "ping" others at work, according to ComScore Media Metrix in Reston.

The casual nature of both -- the teen-speak of BTW ("by the way") and LOL ("laughing out loud"), etc. -- stems in part from the fact that both were devised for use in private life, for communicating with friends and family from a home computer. But it didn't take long for companies to recognize the obvious usefulness of ways to send company-wide memos (e-mail) and keep up an ongoing conversation among employees (instant messaging).

And so firms patched together their own systems. E-mail programs were an easy purchase. For messaging, though, some use proprietary intranet-type programs that allow communication only within the organization. Others imported one of the top instant-messaging services created for consumers by AOL, Yahoo and Microsoft. And some have resorted to a patchwork of programs.

It's the instant messaging that now causes confusion. The technology-savvy (or just those who follow the news) know that e-mails can be retrieved from computers' hard drives. Many companies back up internal e-mails. For instance, the Securities and Exchange Commission requires all broker-dealers to keep for three years "originals of all communications received and copies of all communications sent by such member, broker or dealer (including inter-office memoranda and communications) relating to his business as such."

But most people think that instant messages are different, that once a message is sent, because it doesn't appear in any mailbox or sit on any server, that the thought is forever gone, the evidence irrevocably erased. In theory they're correct: Spokesmen for AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger and Exchange 2000 IM from Microsoft all say that instant messages skip from server to server, but that no material is cached.

"People don't understand the nature of IM," says Michael Gartenberg, a research analyst with Jupiter Research in New York. Because of that, he predicts instant messaging will become much more of a problem to businesses than e-mails in the very near future. He expects companies to soon begin creating policies that monitor the message flow.

In a recent report titled "What May Lurk in Your IM Session," the Gartner Group research firm recommends that companies develop written policies on acceptable use of instant messaging. "IM can be used as an untraceable channel for leaking files, source code and financial information," the report warns. Untraceable, says the report's author, Richard Stiennon, because some companies are still not tracking the mail.

Although the major IM services do not archive messages, recipients can choose to save them. And the messages do travel through servers, at different speeds depending upon the time of day and the system's configurations. While the mail may not be officially cached, it is possible to retrieve it at certain moments, like taking snapshots. "In theory, the FBI could monitor IM traffic over AOL," says Stiennon. "In practice, it's a difficult task."

Corporate message theft is the modern-day version of disgruntled employees walking out with boxes of sensitive files, says Stiennon. Now, he says, they just send company information to their personal accounts, where it can be disseminated more easily. Stiennon says he knows of a case at a dot-com where an angry employee logged into his boss's computer and posted the boss's messages to a public Web site.

Speaking of this medium where people often say things they wouldn't dare write even in e-mails, let alone on a piece of stationery, Stiennon advises, "Treat IM like it's going to end up on the front page of the [newspaper] the next day."

Gartner predicts that by 2005, instant messaging will be used more often than e-mail.

The Way We Work
Michael Loria, director of advanced collaboration at the Cambridge offices of IBM, has been studying the way workers communicate. Early results, he says, show that employees find that messaging is a more helpful communication than e-mail, and often better than the telephone. About half of IBM's 300,000 employees use a combination of the company's Lotus Sametime IM system and AOL Instant Messenger, sending 2.5 million messages a day. Their "buddy lists" are integrated, meaning a co-worker and a parent could be on the same list.

Loria has seen firsthand how pervasive the communication has become. When he wants to talk to a co-worker, his first impulse is not to pick up the phone or walk over to a neighboring office, but to check out his buddy list to see if that person's name is in green, meaning he's online. He also uses instant messaging to talk to his wife and kids.

Loria figures allowing AOL into the IBM mix helps users become more comfortable with the system because it makes them feel they can talk to anyone who's important to them; it becomes part of their culture. He's not a fan of systems that only allow communication among one company and says the concept of proprietary systems makes his hair stand on end.

"IM is a persisting connection between people," says Loria.

Businesses have at least three reasons to fear instant messaging, not so different from e-mail in that regard: the liability from notes that come back to haunt the company, lost productivity as employees chat the day away, and the blocking of the network's pipes as conversations drag on.

"It started as recreation for teens, and then they brought it into the workforce with them," says Tim Gordon, vice president for operations at VIPDesk.com. He says every employee at his company is under 40 and about half are under 30. "It's a tool they expect to have."

In fact, instant messaging is required of VIPDesk.com employees. About half of the online concierge company's employees work outside its Alexandria office. Gordon says using IM helps keep costs down by avoiding long-distance telephone calls. And it also helps keep far-flung workers connected to the company culture. Many are IM friends and have never met IRL -- in real life.

VIPDesk.com so far has no policies about saving messages or what can be sent in them, except a rule that customers' credit card numbers are not to be IMed. Gordon says the company plans to set up a real policy soon, one that takes into consideration that work and play have merged. "It's not screened, it's not monitored, it's not tracked," says Gordon. "Someday that could be a problem."

There is already one odd result of the IM society at VIPDesk.com. Gordon has noticed that messaging is great fodder for the rumor mill in the office. Bad news or good, it gets the information around faster and, like most rumors, attracts more variations on the truth, like the old telephone game.

"I see 10 windows up" on employees' computer screens, says Gordon, "and I wonder how many are personal conversations. IM is a blessing and a curse."

Each of the 100,000 worldwide employees of GlaxoSmithKline has had access to the pharmaceutical company's in-house messaging system, Lotus Sametime, for about a year and a half. Philip Connolly, vice president for information technology communications at the company, says instant messaging has been a boon to its communication because it travels so much faster than e-mail and allows employees in different countries to have real-time conversations and make decisions more quickly. Many people also use it for "chitchat," he says, such as arranging lunch dates, and that's fine. The company has firewalls that prevent using AOL and other outside systems, he says.

"We're not there yet," says Selena Morris, a spokeswoman for Merrill Lynch & Co., when asked about IM policies at the investment bank. She says it would be difficult to tell if employees were using instant messaging. "If people are on the Internet we can't control their usage," she says.

Who's Watching?
But government is watching, even if some businesses aren't. "We have a number of enforcement matters currently underway involving electronic mail," says Nancy Condon of the National Association of Securities Dealers. She wouldn't give details and directed any further questions to the SEC.

The SEC won't comment on instant messaging in particular.

Gartner's Stiennon says it's well known that investment bankers on Wall Street live on messaging, and that most of the firms don't keep a record of the messages. "All traders use instant messaging today," he says. "There will be crackdowns."

This spring, AOL announced that it was working on a new version of instant messaging that would be custom-made for businesses. "Corporations are asking for it," says AOL spokeswoman Catherine Corre. AOL is working with VeriSign on a product that will encrypt messages but still let people communicate with current AOL Instant Messenger users.

AOL may in fact be launching this new product in self-defense. Gartenberg thinks many corporations will react to instant-messaging trouble by banning the use of such commercial IM systems as Instant Messenger. For those that don't go cold turkey, he expects stricter rules about documenting all incoming and outgoing communication. Gartenberg says any company that doesn't think messaging is a potential problem is "delusional."

Systems that were created for businesses, such as Sametime, says Loria, store, log and allow retrieval of messages. IBM also sells servers to IM customers.

New concern over keeping and monitoring electronic mail at businesses has not escaped the notice of software firms dedicated to Internet detective work. Akonix of San Diego this month introduced a new instant-message-tracking program. Ascentive in Philadelphia launched its product last year.

Software created by SpectorSoft of Vero Beach, Fla., takes pictures of everything a person does online, including Web surfing and messaging. The customer decides whether the snapshots are taken every second, every minute or at some other interval. Sales this year have doubled, says company president Doug Fowler, and they had tripled the previous year. One of SpectorSoft's recent add-ons is Chat Recorder, which automatically records all instant messages.

"Companies are just becoming more aware of abuse" by employees, says Fowler. His customers are looking for workers who spend all day on the Internet, who frequent porn sites and who send instant messages with disparaging information about the company. Fowler says one customer found out that an employee was embezzling money; another found that workers were running other businesses on company time or looking for new jobs all day.

When Fowler started his business in 1999, most of his clients were husbands and wives trying to prove infidelity and parents looking for teenagers' mentions of drug use or secret romances.

This year, about 40 percent of SpectorSoft's income is from corporate customers, including law firms, banks and media organizations. It was only about 15 percent corporate last year, and Fowler expects more than half of all his business will come from business spies next year.

One SpectorSoft customer, Richele Mailand, president of an architectural firm in Santa Barbara, Calif., used the software when she wondered why an employee had such an extreme drop in productivity. The person was supposed to work six hours a day for Richele Design, but the software showed that for about half of that time she was actually writing personal e-mail to friends and checking out Web sites. Mailand says she can't afford to pay for work that's just not getting done, and she fired the employee. "She stepped over the bounds," says Mailand.

Still, many workplace experts think asking employees to send only work-related messages is simply unrealistic. "People can't shut off their personal lives," says Bruce Pomerantz, a psychoanalyst in Chevy Chase who analyzes work and family issues. Pomerantz says businesses that peer too far over employees' shoulders will ultimately drive the workers away. "If you monitor people too closely, they'll want to leave the workplace," he says.

Douglas LaBier, president of the Center for Adult Development in Washington and author of the book "Modern Madness: The Hidden Link Between Work and Emotional Conflict," agrees. He says it's a mistake for companies to try to keep workers from using instant messaging for personal use. Sure, some will take advantage of the system. But those people would find a way around work without e-mail or IM.

And so messaging serves to blur the already muddied worlds of life and work. "IM is part of the careerization of life," says LaBier. It takes the image of the guy on vacation with his laptop one step forward.

And it is yet another appendage of our always-on culture. LaBier worries there may be a backlash as some of us find it intrusive, and feel that we can be tracked down wherever we are. "It can facilitate what needs to be done, but it becomes part of our mentality," he says.

"The happiest and most fulfilled people are able to have a sense of integration of who they are at work and at home, who don't wear two hats," says LaBier.
*********************
Washington Post
With 'Old' Design, Japanese Supercomputer Beats Top U.S. Machine
By Matthew Fordahl

LIVERMORE, Calif. U.S. supercomputers have been the world's most powerful since the first high-performance machines analyzed virtual nuclear blasts, climate change and the makeup of the universe.

Now, one built in Japan with an "old" design runs five times faster than the previous record holder, a machine that simulates nuclear tests at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Japan's Earth Simulator supercomputer hasn't quite rattled the United States like the Soviet Union's launch of Sputnik in 1957. But it does highlight some drawbacks of recent U.S. machines and it has made more than a few scientists envious.

"This machine is powerful enough that a researcher who uses it can do in one day what it takes a researcher in the U.S. to do in one month," said Jack Dongarra, a University of Tennessee professor who tracks the world's 500 speediest computers.

More than national pride is at issue. Certain research is better suited to machines like the Earth Simulator, whose design was abandoned by most U.S. manufacturers in favor of one that melds better with the rest of their computing businesses.

Supercomputers are built with thousands of processors that work in tandem to analyze the most complex issues including nuclear test simulations, aircraft designs, drug creation and others for governments, research centers and corporations.

Livermore's ASCI White supercomputer, like most recent U.S.-built machines, used off-the-shelf processors rather than custom parts specifically geared for high-performance scientific jobs.

The trend took off in the 1990s, as such processors grew increasingly powerful, making it difficult to justify the cost of developing chips just for the small scientific supercomputer market.

Now, supercomputers like ASCI White use the same chips but thousands more of them as do servers sold to businesses.

Such machines now make up nearly 92 percent of the top 500 supercomputers worldwide. In 1993, they made up only about 27 percent.

But some say the move away from custom processors places business concerns ahead of scientific needs.

"The arguments are all based on strange economic theories none of them are based on technical grounds," said Burton Smith, chief scientist at Cray Inc., which still sells custom supercomputers.

NEC-built Earth Simulator, which will be used in climate and earthquake studies, is faster than all 15 of the biggest supercomputers in the United States combined, Dongarra said.

It performs 35.9 trillion calculations a second with 5,104 processors. ASCI White, by contrast, performs 7.2 trillion calculations a second with its 8,192 microprocessors.

"U.S. scientists want to use it," said Kiyoshi Otsuka, leader of the Earth Simulator's research exchange group in Yokohama, Japan.

The high-performance title isn't expected to stay in Japan forever. IBM, which built ASCI White, Hewlett-Packard Co. and other U.S. supercomputer makers say they are working on even more powerful machines.

"We could do that in a heartbeat and we could do that for a lot less money," said Peter Ungaro, vice president of high performance computing at IBM, which sells supercomputers to foreign nuclear governments, research centers and corporations.

Officials at the Livermore Lab say their machine and others like it offer better price performance than those designed like the Japanese supercomputer. Earth Simulator cost about $350 million, compared with ASCI White's $110 million.

"For global climate, (Earth Simulator) is a great advance," said David Nowak, the ASCI program leader at Livermore. "It's just a very expensive machine."

But supercomputers built with off-the-shelf parts can be more expensive in the long run, said Guy Robinson, research liaison at the Arctic Region Supercomputing Center, where scientists study everything from climate change to how galaxies form.

Price isn't the only factor, however. Scientists say certain research problems work better or are easier to program on one supercomputer type over the other.

Custom supercomputers, for instance, have bigger data pipes, known as memory bandwidth, which is critical in climate modeling and some nuclear research.

That can be a drawback for off-the-shelf processors.

"In one sense, we have a tiny straw for data," Dongarra said. "And we have the processor, which would like a fire hose of data to come at it."

But off-the-shelf machines work best on data analysis such as in genetic research.

It's a case of finding the best fit for the research and budget, said Fran Berman, director of the San Diego Supercomputer Center.

"From a political and financial perspective, we're not in an environment where we could build all these different kinds of tools with equal emphasis," she said.

J. David Neelin, atmospheric scientist at the University of California, Los Angeles, said computing is ultimately just another tool, like a laptop is for a student assigned to write a paper.

A faster machine does not guarantee quality.

"Are they going to get that essay out any faster or is it going to be any better? Well, their spell checker is going to run a little faster," he said. "In the end, it's the thought that goes into it that really makes the essay."
**************************
Washington Post
Fighting Piracy, Hollywood Hunts Down People Trading Films Online
By Simon Avery

LOS ANGELES The movie industry is hunting down people who swap digital films online and demanding that their Internet service be cut off all part of an effort to stamp out piracy and avoid the online trading frenzy that has plagued the music business.

The Motion Picture Association of America uses a special search engine to scour the Web for copyright movies, which circulate on the same peer-to-peer software networks as MP3 music files.

Since 2001, more than 100,000 customers have been ordered to stop their activities through cease-and-desist letters sent from their Internet service providers, the MPAA said.

In a newer initiative, AOL Time Warner's broadband division has begun trying to identify and stop customers who upload huge amounts of data which in almost all cases means people trading bulky video or music files.

"We are not blocking the use of any applications or access to any Web sites," said Mark Harrad, a spokesman for Time Warner Cable. "But we are doing various things to manage bandwidth better and to interfere with people who are in violation of (their) service agreements."

Harrad declined to elaborate on interference techniques. But he denied the effort was specifically targeted at people swapping music and movie files, saying the issue is bandwidth hogs, not piracy.

AOL Time Warner owns one of the seven major studios, Warner Brothers, a member of the MPAA. It also owns Warner Music Group, one of the five major record companies.

Meanwhile, Rep. Howard Berman, D.-Calif., is preparing legislation that would allow entertainment companies to obstruct the peer-to-peer networks with a variety of invasive electronic techniques, including software that blocks file transfers, redirects users to other sites or confuses users with fake files.

Privately, music industry officials already admit to frustrating file traders by putting up bogus files. Individuals trying to download unauthorized tracks from Eminem's latest CD last month, for example, occasionally got files containing only a single verse repeated continuously, rather than a complete song.

Such acts could, however, be illegal today under the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

The law allows people to duplicate copyright material for their own use. But the distribution power of the Internet, which allows someone to share a personal copy with millions, has left the concept of "fair use" unclear.

Movie files are harder to share over peer-to-peer networks because they are significantly larger than music files. At more than 600 megabytes, a full length movie can easily take six hours to download over broadband. By contrast, an average music file of six megabytes takes a few minutes.

But Hollywood studios worry that the rising number of broadband connections and improved video compression techniques will open the door to runaway piracy.

Between 400,000 and 600,000 copies of movies are downloaded illegally each day, according to the consulting firm Viant. Though far fewer than the 3 billion daily music downloads off the now-defunct music swapping site Napster at its peak, it's enough to spook the movie industry.

"Our industry could be damaged as much as the music industry," said Ken Jacobsen, senior vice president of worldwide antipiracy at the MPAA.

The MPAA uses special monitoring software from San Diego-based Ranger Online Inc. The automated software provides the Internet address of the file-swapper, which the MPAA forwards to the relevant Internet provider.

The MPAA then asks the provider to contact the user with an ultimatum: Remove the copyright files from your computer or have your service disconnected.

Almost everyone served with a cease-and-desist letter by their Internet provider complies, Jacobsen said. The group said it does not keep records of how many users have actually been disconnected, though at least one recipient has fought back.

InternetMovies.com, a Hawaii-based Web site, filed suit against the MPAA for causing a business disruption after it was tagged for illegal file-swapping and had its Internet service disconnected. Jacobsen said the MPAA will wage a vigorous defense.

Some critics of the MPAA's initiative question how long Internet providers will continue to assist the hunt against their own customers.

It's just too expensive for the providers to lose those customers, said Fred von Lohmann of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit group representing defendants in copyright infringement suits.

"Hollywood is pressuring intermediaries to do their police work. That was never the intention of copyright law," von Lohmann said.

But the MPAA says Internet providers have many reasons to cooperate: They don't want illegal activity on their networks, they don't want to be exposed to litigation and they don't want users eating up extra bandwidth by trading large movie files.
*****************************
USA Today
Official: USA vulnerable to cyber terrorism
By Greg Wright, Gannett News Service

WASHINGTON Government agencies, businesses and utility companies are making rapid gains in protecting their computer networks from hackers, but many remain vulnerable to cyberattacks, a White House aide said Thursday. "The key pieces have done a good job of it," Schmidt said after speaking at a New Technology Week newsletter seminar. "But, by any stretch of the imagination, this does not mean the work is done."

Equipment that used to be controlled manually by switches or valves, including dams and electricity plant controls, can now be operated from miles away via the Internet. And each day thousands of banking and market transactions are conducted over the Web.

In 2000, a hacker broke into a utility company computer in Maroochy Shire, Australia, and released millions of gallons of raw sewage into the town waterways. And in 1997, a teen-age hacker broke into the control tower computer system at Worchester, Mass., airport, disrupting service.

The FBI has already warned that al-Qaeda operatives are studying supervisory control and data acquisition systems (SCADA) used to run utility and company computer networks, said Ben Venzke, chief executive officer of IntelCenter, a security consulting company in Virginia.

If al-Qaeda strikes again, it could combine a deadly bombing with a cyberattack to cut electricity, heightening panic, Venzke said.

Banking and financial institutions have made the most progress in protecting their systems from hackers, said Dan Verton, a cyber terrorism expert at Computerworld magazine in Washington, D.C. However, utilities, oil companies and industrial plants are lagging, he said.

The White House plans to release a cybersecurity policy plan in September, Schmidt said.

The House in February passed legislation sponsored by House Science Committee Chairman Sherwood Boehlert, R-N.Y., that would boost funding for cybersecurity research by $878 million. The full Senate is expected to vote soon on a similar bill from Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., chairman of the Science, Technology and Space subcommittee.

Wyden and Boehlert are also pushing legislation to create "Netguard," an emergency response team of computer experts that would aid the government in the event of a cyberattack. The House this week also passed legislation boosting criminal penalties against cybercriminals.

But despite the flurry of legislation and White House action, it could still take years for the nation to fully prepare its complex telecommunications system and power grid for a cyberattack, Venzke said.

"Even if you had every resource imaginable and had unlimited resources, you would not be able to tackle this problem overnight," he said.
************************
Los Angeles Times
Higher Learning at Warp Speed
Network: System being set up at Case Western Reserve University runs at 1 gigabit per second.
By PAUL SINGER
ASSOCIATED PRESS

CLEVELAND -- If going online with your home computer is like turning on the tap for a glass of water, getting on the Internet this fall at Case Western Reserve University is going to be like opening a fire hydrant.

In all, 16,000 computers, including machines in every dorm room, will be capable of being linked over the coming year to a fiber-optic network that delivers data at up to 1 gigabit per second.

That's about a thousand times faster than the typical home broadband connection--so fast that the research university's computer mavens still don't know exactly what they'll do with so much bandwidth. And that's the point of this $27-million investment: Case will look to develop applications that benefit from a supercharged Internet.

With the new system, "You can actually do full-screen, full-motion, high-definition video with high-definition sound," said the school's technology chief, Lev Gonick. "That's pretty amazing when you think about research science."

Medical students will be able to watch surgery in real time from a remote location yet experience it as if they were in the room.

A musician in Cleveland could study with a teacher in, say, New York via an Internet audiovisual conference--provided the teacher had an equally fast connection.

"This is clearly one of the most aggressive if not the most aggressive deployments" of computer technology in academia, said Steve Corbato of Internet2, a national consortium of universities working on the next-generation Internet.

Corbato expects such so-called gigabit Ethernet technology to be common on university campuses within about two years.

For now, Case has got a leg up on such premier tech universities as Pittsburgh's Carnegie Mellon and Caltech, which offer only one-tenth of the speed at 100 megabits per second.

"Many universities are looking into gigabit networking on campus," said Joel Smith, chief information officer at Carnegie Mellon. "They just proceed more rapidly or less rapidly, depending on funding and other concerns."

Carnegie Mellon, like Case, was one of the first universities in the 1970s to experiment with networked computers. It has some gigabit-speed links between buildings and is constantly upgrading, Smith said.

And like many campuses, Carnegie Mellon offers wireless connectivity so students and professors can log in from anywhere.

"Rare is the university that can do this all at once," Smith said.

John Dundas, Caltech's director of information technology, said competitive pressures will force other universities to follow suit even though the technology at first will benefit a limited pool of graduate-level researchers.

"Until faculty are able to integrate these kind of technological innovations into their teaching, it's not going to have a lot of impact on the undergrads," he said.

Case Western, a 9,600-student university, contracted with Sprint and Cisco Systems for the upgrade. As part of the deal, Sprint can test new technologies at the school. In return, Case gets discounts on future technology upgrades.

The Case system will take about a year to complete, but it is already operating in several dorms.
***************************
Reuters Internet Report
S.Korean Broadband Internet Access Hits 20 Percent
Fri Jul 19, 4:05 AM ET

SEOUL (Reuters) - About 20 out of 100 South Koreans have access to high-speed Internet services, the world's highest penetration rate, the Ministry of Information and Communication said on Friday.

The ministry said in a statement South Korea ( news - web sites) had 9.21 million high-speed Internet users at the end of June, 20 percent of its total population of 47 million.

The figures were up almost five percent from 8.78 million broadband users at the end of March.

South Korea ranked first with a penetration rate of 13.9 percent in 2001, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Canada ranked second with 6.22 percent.

KT Corp, South Korea's largest Internet service provider (ISP), had 4.3 million users, or 47.1 percent of the domestic broadband market, the ministry said.

Hanaro Telecom Inc, the number-two ISP, had 2.4 million broadband subscribers, or 26.3 percent, followed by Korea Thrunet Co, which ranked third with 1.3 million or 14.1 percent.

The ministry data included broadband subscribers of smaller regional ISPs which offer high-speed Internet services using leased lines from bigger Internet network operators such as KT.

"Given the growth trend, South Korea's broadband users are expected to reach more than 10 million by the end of this year," the ministry said.

The fast growth in South Korea of broadband service came amid harsh competition and huge demand from South Korean users for faster Internet access and games, analysts said.

Shares of KT finished down 3.5 percent at 46,300 won on Friday against the 2.5 percent decline in the broader benchmark stock index
***********************
Reuters Internet Reports
More Doctors Use Internet for Work, Survey Finds
Thu Jul 18, 4:21 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - More than three-quarters of the nation's doctors now use the Internet and nearly half of them say it has had a major impact on how they practice, a survey released on Thursday found.

About a third of doctors have their own Web sites, mostly to use for promoting their practice and for patient information, the survey by the American Medical Association found.

Of the 977 physicians interviewed for the survey, 78 percent said they used the Internet for work.

Of these, two-thirds said they go online every day, the AMA, which represents about a third of the nation's doctors, found.

"Although there is still a trend for younger physicians to use the Web more than older physicians, the percentage of older physicians using the Web increased rapidly from the previous year," the AMA added in a statement.

"In 2001, 65 percent of physicians 60 years of age or older used the Web, compared with 43 percent in 2000."
*************************
BBC
Urdu website breaks new ground

The launch of BBCUrdu.com is a landmark in online publishing as it is the first news site to use Urdu text, rather than scanned-in images of printed materials. Jon Wurtzel of the development team looks at the technical and editorial hurdles in producing the site.

The first challenge was enabling Urdu speakers to read the language online. Computers are not currently configured to display Urdu text because Urdu fonts do not come as standard with any operating systems.
So finding way for users to read properly displayed Urdu text online was an immediate test.

One of the underlying concerns was the need to serve a wide-ranging audience with differing levels of internet access and computer equipment.

The site had a requirement to be backwards compatible with the operating system Windows 95, functional with the latest operating systems such as Windows XP.

It also had to be future-proof so that the BBC could be confident that its current and subsequent content could be displayed on operating systems to come.

Future-proof

The current solution enables people to download an Urdu font that, once on their computers, allows them to see calligraphically satisfactory Urdu text.

The font works right now across multiple Windows operating systems. Because it is Unicode, it can technically work across multiple current and future operating systems as fonts become available.

For now, the content on the site is also designed to be compatible with the Urdu font Microsoft is developing for inclusion in its XP software.

A key population using this site come from Pakistan, where Urdu is the official national language. Interest in the site is, predictably, predominantly in large cities such as Islamabad and Karachi.

But users in remote Pakistani border and tribal areas, where internet use would not necessarily be expected, are also engaging with and emailing in their opinions to the site.

A diverse base of Urdu speakers in India, the US and Canada, South Africa, as well as Japan and the Persian Gulf, also use the site on a daily basis, accessing news in Urdu online in a way that would otherwise be unavailable.

Rich archive

Beyond providing round the clock news and analysis, as well as live and on-demand access to all of the BBC World Service's Urdu radio output, this news service also serves some uniquely rich content.

With an archive of over 40 years of Urdu news output, BBCUrdu.com provides access to historic audio clips, images and political reportage that can resonate with an audience that has memories of these moments.

These are early days for the integration of the Urdu language and desktop computers. BBC research shows that Urdu speakers are just beginning to use computers and the internet in significant numbers in their own language.

BBCUrdu.com reflects the potential for the digital development of the Urdu language by being the first to provide a technically and editorially comprehensive offer.

It serves an extensive regional and global news service in an internet environment lacking many alternatives. And it can serve to expand the online take-up of Urdu both in Pakistan and across the world.

You can hear more about BBCUrdu.com on the BBC programme Go Digital.
****************************
BBC
No home for digital pictures?

The popularity of digital cameras today may prove to be a disaster for future generations. Here's why...

Over the last 150 years mundane family photos have been routinely stuffed into shoe boxes or manila envelopes and forgotten, to be rediscovered decades later as priceless personal or even public records of the past.
But few pictures taken with digital cameras are ever printed out - most are stored electronically for viewing on a computer screen.

So as digital cameras increase in popularity - an estimated 9% of European households now own one say Kodak, and 27% of new cameras sold are digital, according to research house GfK Marketing services - these treasure troves of family history that turn up in elderly relatives' attics will become a thing of the past.

The digital photos will still exist of course, though not as prints which can be dusted off and passed around. They will instead be collections of ones and zeros on various types of electronic storage media.

Obsolete technology

The problem is there will be no way to look at them. That's because technology evolves so fast that any storage medium in use today is bound to become obsolete sooner or later. Finding the right equipment to retrieve digital images stored decades previously on obsolete media will become almost impossible.

In fact it turns out that images stored electronically just 15 years ago are already becoming difficult to access. The Domesday Project, a multimedia archive of British life in 1986 designed as a digital counterpart to the original Domesday Book compiled by monks in 1086, was stored on laser discs.

The equipment needed to view the images on these discs is already very rare, yet the Domesday book, written on paper, is still accessible more than 1,000 years after it was produced.

Remember laser discs?

And anyone who stored pictures on a still video camera - a forerunner to the digital camera which was available in the late eighties - will find the special two inch disks that were used to store the images are unreadable in any modern computer. The pictures stored on them are effectively gone for ever.

Just as still video camera discs and laser discs have become mere technological curiosities in less than a decade, it's a sure bet than many of the storage media that are used today - cartridges with names like Jaz, Zip, Syquest, Bernoulli, state of the art CD-R and DVD-R discs, and the tiny SmartMedia, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Secure Digital, Multi Media Card, and MicroDrive storage cards - will be obsolete and hard to access in a few decades' time.

I don't like mundanes

The only way around this is to transfer pictures from older media to newer ones every few years.

Inevitably the more mundane photos will be discarded to save time or storage space, yet it is precisely these pictures which make the most interesting ones in the future.

Contrast this with an exposed but undeveloped film. The chemistry of photography has not changed significantly over the years, so there's a good chance of retrieving the latent images on an exposed film that is many years old.

One way to reduce the worry about the future accessibility of digital photos is simply to upload them to one of the many free photo gallery websites which store and display users' pictures in online albums.

Vested interest

Although this does not guarantee that it will always be possible to see them, there is a certain safety in numbers: if enough people have an interest in a particular gallery continuing to make the photos it holds accessible then it's more likely that it will.

Since these galleries are often open to anyone with an internet connection, it's possible to browse the photo albums of complete strangers in other parts of the world, looking at their wedding pictures, baby photos or holiday snaps.

Some of these sites even allow you to buy prints of the photos online, or have the images put on to novelty gifts.

So while the rise of digital photography could be bad news for anyone interested in looking for photos of their own family, everyone will be able to create their own ideal family photo collection using other people's families by browsing these galleries and assembling one to taste.

Pick a few adorable babies, a beautiful spouse, a couple of party pictures and a set of kindly looking grandparents for the perfect family photo album, and for a few pounds more you can even have them printed on a mouse mat or T-shirt to show off to your friends.
*************************
BBC
Computer experts to back the Grid

Computer experts from all over the world are expected to endorse a blueprint for the evolution of a new technology - dubbed internet mark two.
More than 800 experts are gathering at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre to discuss "The Grid".

The new technology will allow researchers to link together computers to give them undreamed-of number-crunching power.

E-scientists hope the new framework will allow commercial development of Grid.

Sharing computer resources

The Global Grid Forum hopes to lay down a set of rules which will form a standard structure for the development of the new technology.

The UK National e-Science Centre (NeSC), which is hosting the event, will adopt a common framework designed to create a "seamless environment" in which computer resources can be shared via the internet.

This will enable the computing power of e-science research teams around the world to be shared to tackle massive projects that they would not be able to attempt with their own resources.

A network of high performance computers will help e-scientists collaborate to solve important problems facing the world in the 21st century such as climate change, the human genome and particle physics.

It is also hoped that the technology will eventually be transferred from the science labs to commercial and domestic use, in the same way as the internet.

Whereas the internet allows pre-prepared data to be accessed from remote computers, the Grid adds the power to process this data.

However, at present there are a patchwork of "standards" which do not operate on different systems and difficult to re-use "implementations".

It is important for the future evolution of grid technology and its possible commercial development that a common framework is agreed for issues such as security, information infrastructure, resource management.

The NeSC, which was opened at the University of Edinburgh in April, is part of the UK Government's drive to be at the front of the Grid when it comes to building faster and more powerful computing systems.

Scientific communities

It co-ordinates work on Grid technology being carried out at eight sites around Britain.

Professor Malcolm Atkinson, director of the centre, said: "e-science will change our ways of working. We'll solve hard problems faster. We'll focus the efforts of scientific communities, drawing on shared data and massive computing power to face urgent challenges.

"While the worldwide web allows us to share data, e-science allows research teams to collaborate to turn data into information and hence knowledge."
**************************
Federal Computer Week
Defining redundancy
Editorial

Officials at the Office of Management and Budget have common sense on their side when they talk about ways to eliminate redundant spending on information technology across government. But they should not be surprised, or disappointed, if their plans do not play out as they hoped.

The issue has surfaced numerous times in the past year, most recently earlier this month, when OMB Director Mitchell Daniels Jr. said the Bush administration would be looking for redundancies in the IT plans of agencies slated to join the proposed Homeland Security Department.

OMB is taking a similar approach to e-government, forcing agencies to pool their resources on projects of common interest.

And administration officials hope to improve their ability to identify overlaps as part of an upgrade to the Federal Data Procurement System, which tracks IT buying across government (see Page 59).

The problem is that redundancy comes in shades of gray, not in black and white. Although it's convenient to discuss the federal government as if it were a single entity, individual departments have developed their own way of doing work, based on the particulars of their mission, and their IT systems reflect those differences.

No doubt OMB will be able to streamline IT spending in e-government, homeland security and other areas, but OMB officials also might meet some justifiably stiff resistance. It brings to mind the struggles many agencies have had with commercial off-the-shelf software.

Common sense says agencies will save money and avoid trouble if they use commercial software as it was designed, rather than customize it. Unfortunately, the more complex the software, the less often this plan works. Witness the continuing problems agencies have had buying financial management software in recent years.

At what point does the need to reduce spending override the interests of individual agencies? That is a question OMB officials will have to ask repeatedly as they trim spending, and they should not expect simple answers.

It's not a perfect system. But perhaps the perfect system is one that tolerates imperfections.
*************************
Federal Computer Week
Homeland strategy sets IT agenda

The National Strategy for Homeland Security released last week shows how heavily the Bush administration is counting on technology to improve the nation's ability to collect, analyze and disseminate information.

The strategy identifies six critical areas such as improving intelligence, protecting critical infrastructure and defending against catastrophic threats and lists the major initiatives essential to each one.

Technology permeates the list with initiatives as varied as creating a secure videoconferencing capability for communications between first responders and federal officials and creating "smart borders" using databases and biometrics.

Most programs listed such as developing a secure data-sharing system for federal, state and local law enforcement and biometrics for border control are already under way.

It is not surprising that the homeland security strategy focuses so much on technology, said Phil Anderson, a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).

"Technology in large part is going to help us solve this problem," he said. "Everywhere you look, there are enormous advantages that can be gained through the use of technology."

Some of the technology essential to the strategy will require more research and development, particularly in the area of sensors and surveillance, but many of the requirements can be met with existing technology. "Most of the stuff is already on the shelf," Anderson said.

Connecting the Dots

The strategy follows close on the heels of the administration's plan for creating a Homeland Security Department, drawing together nearly two dozen agencies involved with national security. The national strategy takes the first close look at the information that is necessary to support the functions performed by those organizations.

"There's less focus here on moving boxes, and more on integrating information," said Don Kettl, executive director of the Century Foundation's Working Group on Federalism Challenges in Homeland Security. "There's a focus on connecting the dots through connecting the information."

Beyond the initiatives in each mission area, information sharing and systems form one of the four foundations of the national strategy. The strategy outlines five major initiatives in which technology will support homeland security:

* Integrate information sharing across the federal government.

* Integrate information sharing across state and local governments, private industry and citizens.

* Adopt common metadata standards for keeping track of data stored in databases across government.

* Improve public safety emergency communications.

* Ensure reliable public health information.

Information sharing is important to crossing boundaries that are in place at the federal, state and local levels, said Steve Cooper, senior director of information integration and chief information officer at the Office of Homeland Security.

The IT section of the strategy essentially provides "an overall charter or business strategy" for making that happen, he said.

One aspect of the IT plan that is likely to cause a lot of "interesting" discussion is the concept of databases of record, Cooper said. The idea is to identify or develop databases across government to serve as the official resources in certain topic areas, so that someone looking for particular information knows where to turn.

The strategy also outlines plans to develop metadata standards for "communities of practice" that cut across agency boundaries, such as first responders and law enforcement. These standards, likely based on Extensible Markup Language, will help users organize and search the information in agencies' databases.

The Office of Homeland Security has already formed several working groups to look at the legal and policy issues that might be involved, Cooper said. One hurdle is accommodating the information needs of particular agencies.

For example, much of the information that the FBI gathers is not intelligence, but evidence, and is closely held for use in prosecuting cases. Would, or should, the FBI begin to share such information?

Another hurdle, though, is the requirements to balance homeland security requirements with privacy and civil liberties, observers say.

"If the data is all from criminal histories or on foreign nationals from suspect countries, it may not be a problem," said Jim Harper, a lawyer who operates the privacy advocacy Web site Privacilla.org. "But if it's a big database accessible to lots and lots of people," and it contains information about people not suspected of being terrorists, that could be a problem, he said.

But both civil liberties and security advocates will have to be patient as the technology and policy come together and the information from across all levels of government and industry is consolidated or linked, Cooper said.

"Part of getting the balance right will be a bit of a pendulum, and I don't think that we're going to be able to nail it perfectly right out of the box," he said.

Building Blueprints

The federal government has taken steps to enable information sharing by developing an enterprise architecture that shows how different systems supporting homeland security will work together.

This initiative will build on the federal enterprise architecture already created by the Office of Management and Budget, although it must also include national security and intelligence agencies, Cooper said.

Federal officials are also working with the National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO) to get input on the architecture from the first-responder community.

Several NASCIO members had a conference call with officials from the Office of Homeland Security earlier this month to discuss different approaches to working together on this issue, and the two groups plan to meet face-to-face in mid-August, according to Elizabeth Miller, executive director for NASCIO.

Through its e-government strategy and the annual budget process, OMB also is pushing agencies to collaborate on technology initiatives. The emphasis on developing joint business cases will be enforced for homeland security investments as well, said Mark Forman, associate director for IT and e-government at OMB.

OMB has approved three homeland security-related pilot projects, which will last three to six months, to prove the concept of information sharing and joint investments, Cooper said. They are:

* Virtually consolidating or linking the many terrorist watch lists in existence at multiple agencies.

* Creating a homeland security portal for users at all levels of government to access and link to key subject areas, such as critical infrastructure protection.

* Developing a 10-state system to share and analyze sensitive information related to law enforcement among federal, state and local agencies.

Still Sketchy Picture

Those ideas are why the IT aspect of the national strategy is the most detailed and therefore complex part of the strategy, Kettl said. But every part of the national strategy still needs many more details before it can be considered complete, experts say.

"A strategy should lead to a plan or plans" for executing the strategy, said CSIS' Anderson.

"What we have here is the commander's intent," he said. What is still needed is "a detailed plan that states how it is going to be accomplished."

It will probably be left to the proposed Homeland Security Department to develop that plan, Anderson said. "What's missing is a pretty good articulation of the threat," Anderson said of the president's strategy. "There may be one that's classified," but a threat assessment is essential for developing the "operations plan" needed to execute the strategy, he said.
***************************
Federal Computer Week
OMB puts hold on homeland IT

The Office of Management and Budget last week froze more than $1 billion worth of information technology projects being planned at major agencies that would be shifted to the proposed Homeland Security Department.

OMB, which is helping to create an integrated IT infrastructure for the proposed department, needs time to sift through agencies' plans and identify redundancies, said Mark Forman, OMB's associate director for IT and e-government.

The freeze, explained in a July 19 memo, affects new IT investments of more than $500,000 at the Transportation Security Administration, the Coast Guard, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Immigration and Naturalization Service and other agencies.

The hold will remain pending a review of each investment plan, which could take days or weeks, by an interagency board that will recommend reductions and consolidations, Forman said.

Agency leaders must cease their investments and identify any current or planned IT spending not already included in the fiscal 2003 budget request. This information must be provided to OMB no later than Aug. 15.

Ongoing programs, such as the Customs Service's $1.3 billion Automated Commercial Environment, will not be affected, according to OMB. Plans for new homeland security-related projects, though, will be scrutinized to see if existing systems could meet those requirements.

"Things that are under way are exactly the kind of things that we want to leverage," Forman said.

Investments under consideration include:

* $26 million for Customs' Integrated Network.

* $91 million for the Coast Guard's National Distress and Response System Modernization Project.

* $1 billion for TSA's IT Managed Services contract.

Any emergency procurements that an agency cannot have held up will be reviewed by OMB within 24 hours, Forman said.

Because TSA's planned procurement will supply the new agency's basic IT infrastructure, a rapid but thorough review of TSA's needs against existing investments at other agencies is at the top of the review group's to-do list. Many decisions, including some of TSA's investments, will likely be made before the Aug. 15 deadline, Forman said.

TSA officials did not have any comment, but Ronald Miller, FEMA's chief information officer, said he supports the approach taken by OMB and the Office of Homeland Security.

"I think our first obligation should be...to use our resources wisely, which requires us to take a comprehensive look, and No. 2, to ensure we can find quick victories?best of breed solutions and use that as the foundation for the whole department," Miller said.

The cultural problems that will arise as program officials find out which investments will be combined or cut will be the hardest hurdle to overcome, said Roger Baker, former CIO at the Commerce Department and now an executive vice president at CACI International Inc.

"Every reasonable IT person in government knows there is substantial overlap and redundancy, but they're always hoping that it's not their program that is considered redundant," he said.

An overriding concern is that the reviews could stand in the way of necessary modernization efforts, said David Colton, vice president for strategic initiatives at the Information Technology Association of America. "Bean counting on the redundancies is important, but it should not be the top priority," he said.
*************************
Federal Computer Week
Federal Computer Week Policy briefs

GSA sets up performance office

The General Services Administration has established an office that will oversee agencywide efforts to improve performance and incorporate the President's Management Agenda into GSA's practices, the agency announced last week.

GSA Administrator Stephen Perry named Boyd Rutherford as the associate administrator of the new Office of Performance Improvement. The office will lead the implementation of the initiatives developed during the past year when GSA evaluated its management processes, including a study performed by Accenture to determine the impact of overlap between the agency's two contracting services.

After the evaluation, GSA set six agencywide strategic goals for performance improvement, closely mirroring the goals of the President's Management Agenda.

E-Authentication RFI released

GSA last week released a request for information for the proposed governmentwide gateway to authenticate users for e-government services.

GSA is the lead agency on the e-Authentication initiative, one of 24 cross-agency initiatives overseen by the Office of Management and Budget as part of the President's Management Agenda. The gateway would consolidate the validation of multiple levels of authentication such as a password or digital certificate through a single interface that could be used to access other cross-agency services.

The RFI, released July 12, outlines nine areas where the GSA team wants input from industry on the best solution to meet the government's needs. The team is looking for advice on matters ranging from potential acquisition strategies and types of credentials to privacy concerns and Web technologies.

**************************
Federal Computer Week
Liars unmasked
A Legal View

The federal False Statements Act has been law in this country for nearly 100 years. During that time, dozens of companies and individuals have been prosecuted for lying to government officials. However, those numbers are nothing compared to the explosion in prosecutions we're seeing now.

Federal law enforcement agencies are using computers and advanced data mining techniques to find and prosecute people who lie to government officials. Moreover, federal prosecutors are finding the law to be a handy tool for pursuing people in a variety of situations in which violations of other, more specific laws may be more difficult to prove.

The False Statements Act applies to every matter within the jurisdiction of every executive, legislative and judicial agency of the U.S. government. Under the act, it is a crime for any person:

* To knowingly and willfully falsify, conceal or cover up by any trick, scheme or device any material fact.

* To make any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation.

* To make or use any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or entry.

Punishment for a violation may include fines and imprisonment for up to five years.

In one recent example, the Justice Department used the act to arrest airport security guards who had used false Social Security cards when applying for employment. The case began with an Immigration and Naturalization Service review of computer records for more than 11,000 individuals at a single location, leading to the identification of about 200 suspects. Of these, 33 people working in the most sensitive areas of the airport were selected for indictment.

In the same way, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is using its extensive computer database of corporate financial information and sophisticated analytical systems to identify companies that may have filed materially false or misleading financial statements.

The government may choose to prosecute the companies, the individuals responsible or both. In fact, the SEC recently took steps that would make such prosecutions of company chief executive officers and chief financial officers easier by requiring them to personally certify in writing, under oath and for publication, that their most recent reports filed with the SEC are both accurate and complete.

The False Statements Act does not require a statement to be sworn, or signed under oath, to support a prosecution. But, as a practical matter, it is much easier for a prosecutor to persuade a jury to convict the accused when the allegedly false statement was made under oath.

The False Statements Act has always been a favorite tool of many federal prosecutors. Advances in information technology are making its use even more effective. As a consequence, prosecutions under the act can be expected to soar.
***************************
Federal Computer Week
Feds endorse guide for Windows security

New benchmarks published last week by a broad coalition of federal and private organizations could vastly improve the security of systems throughout government agencies, experts say.

The first step in that process is a set of security configuration recommendations called Consensus Baseline Security Settings for Microsoft Corp. Windows 2000 Professional. They are designed to help agencies ensure that their Windows-based workstations are properly configured to protect against external and internal cyberattacks.

Moreover, this initiative could serve as a model for future benchmarks that could be applied to other network protocols and systems, proponents say.

Predefined security settings will take some of the burden of securing systems off the shoulders of overworked systems administrators, who also may lack an in-depth knowledge of network security, said John Gilligan, chief information officer for the Air Force.

"Increasingly, software products are [becoming more] complicated with large numbers of settings," Gilligan said. "Often, administrators have to set the software for security. Putting this extra burden on over-tasked systems administrators who don't have the proper [security] insight is not the way to go."

Too often, security breaches in both the public and private sectors are caused by software running on network devices that have not been configured with appropriate security settings or lack the latest fixes and updates that would prevent new security vulnerabilities. About 80 percent of the successful penetrations of government systems are due to attackers exploiting vulnerabilities, Gilligan said.

The baseline security settings "give systems administrators the tools to implement standards that can be easily updated as they learn about new threats," said Richard Clarke, special adviser to the president for cyberspace security. The collaboration also demonstrates how the proposed Homeland Security Department should unfold, he added, with the private sector and government working together to protect the nation's critical infrastructures.

Agencies can protect their systems by downloading the benchmarks, free of charge, from the Center for Internet Security (www.cisecurity.org).

All Air Force installations will deploy the benchmark and scoring tool, Gilligan said, adding that all CIOs in the federal government should plan on doing so, though their participation is not mandated.

"I would also endorse continuation of the collaboration [between federal agencies and the private sector] to address a broader set of products" for the future, he said. Results of this collaboration can be shared with software vendors, so off-the-shelf software will conform to the security baselines, he added.

***

Windows lockdown

The Consensus Baseline Security Settings for Microsoft Corp. Windows 2000 Professional workstations were developed and endorsed by a broad group of Windows security experts from key government and industry organizations.

Participants included:

* General Services Administration

* National Institute of Standards and Technology

* Defense Information Systems Agency

* National Security Agency

* SANS Institute

* Center for Internet Security
*****************************
Federal Computer Week
Building smarter borders

The Bush strategy for homeland security includes "smart borders," an idea that will drastically change the way U.S. borders -- land, sea and air -- will be managed for people and goods entering and leaving the United States.

The administration envisions a layered management system that enables a better screening system for vehicles, people and goods. It will require more technology to screen out potential terrorists and their weapons.

And it won't be a moment too soon, according to George Weise, the former Customs Service Commissioner (1993-97) who is now vice president of global trade compliance at Vasteria, a global technology solutions company.

He says there is little interaction between computer systems at Customs, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, the Transportation Security Agency and others. And a reorganization would help this kind of coordination.

"There is no way, however, that any one agency can have the depth and breadth of expertise to make the final determination of admissibility, but with the proper coordination, a single agency like Customs, with appropriate interaction and coordination with the other agencies, can make admissibility determinations across a wide range of issues," Weise said.

Like others involved in evaluating plans to protect the United States, Weise said it's essential to put Customs inspectors on foreign soil to inspect cargo before it is shipped to the United States.

"Placing U.S. Customs inspectors overseas can help focus attention on the need to examine cargo before it departs for the U.S., but also could put a real strain on Customs resources unless Customs' budgets are expanded," Weise said.
*************************
Government Computer News
OMB will consolidate Homeland Security systems work
By Dipka Bhambhani

Office of Management and Budget director Mitchell E. Daniels Jr. today told agencies of the proposed Homeland Security Department to stop work on all IT infrastructure and modernization plans with lifecycle costs greater than $500,000, pending approval by a new Homeland Security IT Investment Review Group.

The review group, composed of CIOs from the eight agencies involved, will have information from agencies to decide by Aug. 15 how to consolidate systems that deliver the same services, potentially saving taxpayers $100 million to $200 million over the next two years, Daniels' memo said.

"There are high-quality infrastructures available at the Customs Service and the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and the board needs to decide which platform to build and obviously not continue building several at the same time," Daniels said earlier this month at a midyear budget review press conference.

The agencies involved would have collectively spent at least $360 million on IT infrastructure by the end of fiscal 2002 and more than double that next fiscal year, OMB said. In fiscal 2003, four agencies plan to spend at least $244 million on telecommunications investments, mostly for systems that deliver the same service, it said .

"A worker at La Guardia [Airport] ought to be able, if he needs, to immediately contact somebody at the Port of Los Angeles or a border station in Texas," Daniels said. "The new department cannot protect Americans if its people cannot communicate with each other."

Lillie Coney
Public Policy Coordinator
U.S. Association for Computing Machinery
Suite 510
2120 L Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20037
202-478-6124